Forums: Community: Campground:
my clutch went in Yosemite this weekend...time for a new car!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

boadman

Feb 20, 2008, 8:47 PM
Post #26 of 39 (416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unrooted] my clutch went in Yosemite this weekend...time for a new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Toyota matrix is super practical. Good mileage, AWD, reasonable space, etc. You can also get a very slightly used one off of craigslist for under 15k.

unrooted wrote:
The toyota matrix appears to be a decent station wagon. i like older cars, I would look for a late 90's toyota corrola wagon.

lostparrot

Feb 20, 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #27 of 39 (408 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_eng] my clutch went in Yosemite this weekend...time for a new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"My advice --- don't buy a new car, they're all basically crap compared to what cars were 10 years ago. "
don't know what kind of cars you buy, but cars are a thousand percent better now than ten years ago.

anyway, the honda element is a great vehicle. we've got an 04 that works great for everything, from family, to groceries, to climbing, camping, whatever type of trips you may take. i've slept in it quite a few times, comfortably(i'm 6'4").not quite 30mpg, but 20-25.

climb_eng

Feb 20, 2008, 11:33 PM
Post #28 of 39 (403 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lostparrot] my clutch went in Yosemite this weekend...time for a new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lostparrot wrote:
"My advice --- don't buy a new car, they're all basically crap compared to what cars were 10 years ago. "
don't know what kind of cars you buy, but cars are a thousand percent better now than ten years ago.

anyway, the honda element is a great vehicle. we've got an 04 that works great for everything, from family, to groceries, to climbing, camping, whatever type of trips you may take. i've slept in it quite a few times, comfortably(i'm 6'4").not quite 30mpg, but 20-25.

1000%?!? Really. Wow, that sure is a compelling statement. What specifically has improved in the last 10 years, particularly to get 1000%? I can tell you what's gotten worse:

- Manufacturers have outsourced manufacture of parts. This means Honda parts, Ford parts, Chevy Part and Hyundai parts are all now made by the same company.
- Manufacturers have outsourced a lot of manufacturing, mostly to Mexico.
- Cars have gotten substantially more complex, making them much more difficult and expensive to maintain.
- Average new vehicle fuel economy (if you count SUVs) has actually dropped in the last 10 years.

So, what exactly has gotten better?

Side note - Elements are the ugliest SUVs ever made... and theres no way you're getting 30MPG unless you're using hypermiling techniques, in which case you'd get 45 MPG out of my equally practical, 10 year-old station wagon (that cost $3000 and not $30000).

mattb1921

Feb 21, 2008, 2:54 AM
Post #29 of 39 (385 views)
Shortcut

Re: my clutch went in Yosemite this weekend...time for a new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No one has said this yet so I will. I just got the new 2008 Subaru WRX Sedan and I love it. I get around 24mpg in the city and a little better on the highway. The trunk can fit a fair amount of gear and the back seat can fold down to fit bigger stuff. It is also very fast. I got mine for under $25k with some good negotiating skills.
The down side is that it takes premium fuel. It also handles great in the snow.

winkwinklambonini

Feb 21, 2008, 3:10 AM
Post #30 of 39 (378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattb1921] my clutch went in Yosemite this weekend...time for a new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Honda's coming out with a diesel accord. That would be sweet. As far as snow is concerned, I have a toy pickup, and most of the time in the snow it's worse than my fancee's Camry. Now, if it's really coming down, and the roads are covered, it's great. But so much of the time, the roads are a mix between dry pavement and ice. What to do? Put it in 4by and stress it out or worse in turns, or have one wheel in the back driving the truck, leading to easy spinnouts.

A reliable front wheel drive car with good snow tires, chains, and if you're really bad-ass, a winch is all you need.

Partner macherry

Feb 21, 2008, 5:07 AM
Post #31 of 39 (363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [winkwinklambonini] my clutch went in Yosemite this weekend...time for a new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moved to community.........non climbing related.

FWIW, we got a honda element last summer and love it.........lots of room for gear, even bikes and you can sleep in it too. it's 4wd and handles great in poor weather

kantkatchme

Feb 21, 2008, 5:45 AM
Post #32 of 39 (359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattb1921] my clutch went in Yosemite this weekend...time for a new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if i had the money i would totally go by a hybrid right now....

right now im driving a '00 outback... i love my car, this has been a crazy winter for snow, and my car gets me through evrything. havnt been stuck once yet, and the lane in the mornings sometimes has drifts that can be up to 2'. that being said it is horrible on gas. or maybe its my driving, i don't know.

so my thinking is:
- either buy something that will get you through everything and pay for the fuel.
- or buy some hybrid and rent for the times that you need to drive through crazy conditions. assuming it isn't everyday

climb_eng

Feb 21, 2008, 6:43 AM
Post #33 of 39 (354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kantkatchme] my clutch went in Yosemite this weekend...time for a new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kantkatchme wrote:
if i had the money i would totally go by a hybrid right now....

right now im driving a '00 outback... i love my car, this has been a crazy winter for snow, and my car gets me through evrything. havnt been stuck once yet, and the lane in the mornings sometimes has drifts that can be up to 2'. that being said it is horrible on gas. or maybe its my driving, i don't know.

so my thinking is:
- either buy something that will get you through everything and pay for the fuel.
- or buy some hybrid and rent for the times that you need to drive through crazy conditions. assuming it isn't everyday

Or, if want the best of both worlds, check out the new Jeep Liberty Diesels. Really good on gas, and pretty tough off road.

qwert

Feb 21, 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #34 of 39 (352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tolman_paul] my clutch went in Yosemite this weekend...time for a new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tolman_paul wrote:
If you want a wagon, and aren't averse to a used vehicle, you should be able to get a 3-4 y/o mercedes E-320 4-matic in your price range with about 30-40k on the odo.

[img]http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2004/Mercedes-Benz/100359255/2004.mercedesbenz.eclass.27778-E.jpg[/img]
if you got 25k to spend, then this is the way to go. but i would get some smaller enginge then the 320. the 320 is way overkill, the 220 should do it. or if you dont want diesel, get the 200k. plenty fast, and good mileage.
or if you want smaller get a c-class, or the jetta that has been already mentioned.

In reply to:
I really don't understand the appeal of suv's, when wagons are a much better vehicle for what suv's are typically are used for, and when you need a truck, get a truck.
totally agreed. fuck SUVs. useless things they are.

qwert

lostparrot

Feb 21, 2008, 4:03 PM
Post #35 of 39 (344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_eng] my clutch went in Yosemite this weekend...time for a new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ugliest suv? did you forget about the buick rendezvous? i don't know about all manufacturers, but honda makes their own parts. and yes cars are more complex, but they are also safer and handle better. also, i never said i get 30mpg. i said 20-25mpg. people want the big suv's with v8's in them, not minivans with 4cyl. that's why the average mpg has dropped in the last few years.

winkwinklambonini

Feb 21, 2008, 4:13 PM
Post #36 of 39 (340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lostparrot] my clutch went in Yosemite this weekend...time for a new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the ugliest suv. When it came out I got a clearer view of how some people can throw their hard earned money away.

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Feb 21, 2008, 6:15 PM
Post #37 of 39 (328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] my clutch went in Yosemite this weekend...time for a new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Our company car is actually a 2007 Element 2WD, and aside from being goofy looking, it is a really practical car.

I wasn't looking to buy a new car until the wheels on my Integra fell off, but after a tree crushed it in a storm, I didn't have much of a choice. I was going to settle for a Toyota Matrix (I know several people with them, they're good cars; I just find them boring) or a similar hatchback type, since my original choice of a used 2nd generation CRV was going to be pricey (damn Hondas and their superior residual value!) but I got lucky enough to find a 2003 Nissan Xterra 2WD 5 speed manual at auction for under market value. I love this thing, and ~25 mpg overall isn't so bad either. Underpowered, but I wasn't expecting much from a 2.4L 4 cyl. on a 4000 lb. SUV.

As for Scions, I drive my friend's tC pretty often, and it's a nice little car. The storage space is pretty impressive for a 2 door hatchback. The only sacrifice is on gas mileage - 22 mpg for a car that small isn't so great. But even the base models are pretty speedy. I'd buy one.

WVUCLMBR

Feb 21, 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #38 of 39 (314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [winkwinklambonini] my clutch went in Yosemite this weekend...time for a new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes...the ugliest suv is hands down the Pontiac Azz-crack. Followed closely by the functional, but hella-ugly Honda Element.

slablizard

Feb 23, 2008, 2:00 AM
Post #39 of 39 (283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unrooted] my clutch went in Yosemite this weekend...time for a new car! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

unrooted wrote:
The toyota matrix appears to be a decent station wagon. i like older cars, I would look for a late 90's toyota corrola wagon.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Get a WRX, possibly a 06 one. 30.000 miles in one year and not a glitch...
the matrix...dah! My mother in law has a matrix.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook