RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Crowster

Feb 21, 2008, 6:57 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1656 views)
Shortcut

Ledges
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm in the market for a ledge. I've heard some say just buy a single cause a double is too uncomfortable for 2 dudes anyway, and I could use it for soloing. Further, which models are easy set-up for one person? Thanks.

P.S. I'm only doing the soloing cause I'm sick of finding partners, I'll be in the Valley all summer if any one is interested in some walls.

pmyche

Feb 21, 2008, 7:17 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1644 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by pmyche [In reply to]
Report this Post

wanderlustmd

Feb 21, 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmyche] Ledges [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pmyche wrote:
Classic debate.

I had just singles for years and loved it. Never yearned for a double, as my partners had singles too. Got a double as a wedding present. Like it and have used it with the wife and less comfortably with ledgeless male partners.

If I had no sig. other that climbed and had to have one ledge, it would be a single--hands down. Less sail-like in high updrafts, lighter, less expensive, easier set-up. More comfortable for my lounging: I like to sit with my lower legs dangling and back against the wall. Can't do that on a double. I had two different 4-point singles, now I have a smaller/lighter 6-point that I like even better.

I've not set up every ledge, but from what I've seen and done, Fish are easiest once you memorize the sequence. And I would put my dough on them for durability, too.

That's good info, thanks.
I've heard that if you are a soloist, the extra horizontal terrain that a double gives is a very welcome thing, but the point you make about the dangle with the back against the wall is a good one.

tomtom

Feb 21, 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] Ledges [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've an old 4 pt. A5 single ledge and have never felt the need for more ledge space while soloing.

Personal preference, though.

stymingersfink

Feb 23, 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] Ledges [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wanderlustmd wrote:
pmyche wrote:
Classic debate.

I had just singles for years and loved it. Never yearned for a double, as my partners had singles too. Got a double as a wedding present. Like it and have used it with the wife and less comfortably with ledgeless male partners.

If I had no sig. other that climbed and had to have one ledge, it would be a single--hands down. Less sail-like in high updrafts, lighter, less expensive, easier set-up. More comfortable for my lounging: I like to sit with my lower legs dangling and back against the wall. Can't do that on a double. I had two different 4-point singles, now I have a smaller/lighter 6-point that I like even better.

I've not set up every ledge, but from what I've seen and done, Fish are easiest once you memorize the sequence. And I would put my dough on them for durability, too.

That's good info, thanks.
I've heard that if you are a soloist, the extra horizontal terrain that a double gives is a very welcome thing, but the point you make about the dangle with the back against the wall is a good one.
Yes, that extra horizontal terrain a double offers is pure bliss, even when climbing in pairs. I flag the ledge for most hauls, so I set it up at the anchor while the leader solo-aids the pitch.

In a party of three, I had it to myself for the most part (this wasn't necessarily a good thing... it was with the Wall Kittens in '04! Tongue Angelic) and loved the ability to sprawl out, especially after having shared the ledge with a partner 30lbs heavier than I. Since there were often two at the anchor while one led, the space was ample.

All in all, a double will offer you the opportunity to experience moments of Deluxe Cush in the middle of a big-wall sufferfest, solo or teamed. (in winds you'll need to anchor it downward too if you're soloing, but so what?)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook