RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

Partner oldsalt

Feb 21, 2008, 3:59 AM
Post #1 of 9 (9304 views)
Shortcut

Issues At Sand Rock
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was at Sand Rock (Alabama) on Saturday and two different observations are colliding in my head....

First, I saw that there is new home construction going on along the overlook. The dirt road has been paved during the past couple of months, which I am certain was not done for the benefit of climbers.

New homes going in, with recently paved roads, with extreme vandalism - spray paint, burning the portable john, ad nauseum. The amount of paint around the parking lot has doubled in the past month. How long will it take for the new homeowners to get up an association and close the road? It would take me about 2 seconds, but being a climber, I would find a way to keep it open for that purpose. I doubt that these new home owners are climbers, so...

Second, while waiting for my party to straggle back to the cars I heard a small child yell, "Spray paint my name on the tree, Daddy!" I said, "Whoopee!" to myself. I'm going to identify the SOB who is out there with a paint can in broad daylight.

Three big (I'm a Southerner by birth and entitled to use this word) REDNECKS were up on top of one of the towers doing their high IQ antics. I wanted the cops there when they came down, so I walked over to the truck where the child had gone to be with his mother to get the license number.

Only problem was, the necks had forgotten to put their license plate back on their dark gray Toyota Tundra after their last cross burning. Yes, this fairly new truck was not sporting a license plate. I wonder why I don't think it was an accident.

They left within two minutes of my walk past the truck and I gave up my idea of calling the cops. With my luck, the driver would be a deputy sheriff.

Here is my parting thought, you ignorant bastards:

All the spray paint in the world can't enlarge your penis, give you courage, raise your IQ, replace your teeth, or make your wife not be your cousin.

If you are one of the many wonderful friends, acquaintances, and fellow climbers from Alabama, you know that I am not referring to you with these words. I'm sure that you hate this kind of thing as much as the rest of us do.

zenelky

Feb 21, 2008, 6:09 PM
Post #2 of 9 (9277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] Issues At Sand Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

This topic has been discussed with the SCC a great deal. Being a Sandrock local, I have always been outraged by what goes on there, but it has gotten neither better nor worse over the past few years. I was surprised at how long those out houses lasted, I guess even stoners and drunks want to sit down to poo.

Although there were slightly less locals there before the road was paved, you can thank the movie industry that decided to film a scene from Failure To Launch there. They gracefully paved the road for their film crews and made it the place to race your 4-wheelers at 3:00am when your drunk. Thank you!

Maybe if Cherokee County sold liquor, they could get more taxes that could be allocated to Sand Rock, but that won't happen. What if we write letters and beg for help from the County Commissioners? We've been informed time after time that they would love to help, but cannot afford to do anything. The only thing they've tried (aka: could afford) was to place a 10mph sign up that was quickly pulled down. Remember, this county is (as far as I know) one of the poorest counties in Alabama. They have other things to worry about than some rock, like a library?

The best thing that we can do is actively participate in the clean-ups there, carry a bag around with you when you climb and pick up as you go. Try to set an example since these people don't have good role models to begin with. This has always been, and will probably always be the hang-out for the locals who don't have anything else to do once the drive-in movie is closed for the season or anyplace else they can hang-out get stoned and not worry about police.

Although I love that crag deeply, Sandrock is our southern crag whipping boy. If the locals destroy Sandrock and leave the other 4 crags around it alone, we are blessed. But if Sandrock gets closed, then those other 4 crags will loose their prestine stone and look just the way Sandrock does.

My ode to Sandrock.
~Mic

jestering

Feb 21, 2008, 6:29 PM
Post #3 of 9 (9265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oldsalt wrote:
All the spray paint in the world can't...make your wife not be your cousin.

But if you spray paint "Marry me Tammy" big enough, it might make your cousin be your wife...

coach_kyle

Feb 21, 2008, 7:08 PM
Post #4 of 9 (9246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That road was paved several years ago when they filmed a part of a movie there.

subantz

Feb 28, 2008, 2:59 AM
Post #5 of 9 (9156 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by subantz [In reply to]
Report this Post

zenelky

Feb 28, 2008, 4:14 PM
Post #6 of 9 (9125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [subantz] Issues At Sand Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

then stay at the camping spot in Leesburg, it's really quite there...just not right at the base of the climb.

Come down the mountain, turn right onto Valley Road (at the end of the drive down), then out to 68. Take 68 toward Leesburg, go straight through the light and there you are. Only 5-6 miles maybe.

limeydave

Feb 29, 2008, 1:36 AM
Post #7 of 9 (9085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've told this story before, but one of those redneck twats drove a 4 wheeler off the top of the crag about 50ft from where we were climbing. Only shame was he jumped off before it flew.

Ugh, with all the other quality spots to climb in a 1-2 hour radius I don't know why anyone would go there.

0 stars.

amyjs82

Apr 4, 2013, 8:05 PM
Post #8 of 9 (8107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can I please say something as someone who has spent her entire life living in Sand Rock... the place you are talking about is Cherokee Rock Village, also known as Little Rock City, the town is called Sand Rock. Also to the other "local" if you were truly a local you would know that Sand Rock is 2 words. As for the spray paint, no we don't like it either but keep in mind it is rarely the "local rednecks" doing this, it is other people who come in and don't care anything about our community and it's image.

Partner oldsalt

Jan 18, 2014, 6:57 PM
Post #9 of 9 (7514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amyjs82] Issues At Sand Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbers name climbing areas, not locals. If I got the FA of Sears Tower, say on the West wall, I could name the route Sears West (or Poorboy Sandwich) if I wanted to. The locale is definitely Sand Rock, but the chat medium is not moderated by English teachers.

I love the place, and as noted above, do my share to keep it clean. My point is that most climbers do as I do. My experience is that non-climbers do more damage than the climbing visitors. If I pick up my trash (and that of others), leave no trace, buy food and gas at Wal-Mart or the diner/gas station near the crag, and sometimes stay in the motel near the road up, then welcome me.

I have a problem with ignorance (not pointing at you, believe me), and my home state of Florida has its share. We blame the damned Yankee tourists back home. Conflict between college students and townies, climbers and townies, and so on will happen. As my University of North Florida American Lit professor, Dr. Gary Harmon, said, "The essential message of American Literature is that people are no damned good."

Unfortunately, I haven't climbed regularly in several years due to health issues. My last three trips to real rock have been to Sand Rock, and I did some routes but I am in terrible shape, and have had almost no gym time. I take photos and love being outdoors, and around interesting people.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook