Forums: Climbing Information: General:
new Metolius Simulator, where to put it?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

blink3388

Feb 22, 2008, 6:41 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2450 views)
Shortcut

new Metolius Simulator, where to put it?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi people. I have myself a new Metolius Simulator finger board. Now im at a disagreement with my mate weather i should put it on my door frame because its not made of the greatest wood board, looks like very compressed sawdust. Has anyone ever had there board fall or do you think its most likely ok? hope to hear some feedback to settle the debate:P

EPiCJAMES

Feb 22, 2008, 7:16 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blink3388] new Metolius Simulator, where to put it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blink3388 wrote:
Hi people. I have myself a new Metolius Simulator finger board. Now im at a disagreement with my mate weather i should put it on my door frame because its not made of the greatest wood board, looks like very compressed sawdust. Has anyone ever had there board fall or do you think its most likely ok? hope to hear some feedback to settle the debate:P

...where to put it? UP YOUR ASS!!!!!!! haha, okay seriously now. above your door would be best, maybe above the closet? just make sure you have open space in front of you. if the wood is poor, it's going to rip out sooner or later. it would suck to fall and hurt yourself on a HANGBOARD, of all things.

markc

Feb 22, 2008, 7:29 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might want to consider the installation instructions provided by the manufacturer of the product you just bought. It's suggested that you mount a piece of plywood to the studs, then secure your hangboard to the plywood. Especially if you own an old house, the studs may not line up with the holes in your board.

I've successfully mounted a board directly to the wall, but you need to be certain you've found studs and they've lined up properly. The plywood's the easier way to go.

Edit: typo

(This post was edited by markc on Feb 22, 2008, 7:31 PM)

AlexCV

Feb 22, 2008, 7:38 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EPiCJAMES] new Metolius Simulator, where to put it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Normally, above a door frame. The absolute bomber way to do it:

(1) Get a stud finder, drill with screwdriver bit (either Robertson #2/3 in Canada or Phillips #2/3), 3 1/2" wood screws, a sheet of 3/4" thick plywood bigger then the simulator.

(2) Locate the door frame studs and mark the edges on the wall. (If your studfinder can do it, check for electrical wires...)

(3) Line up the plywood sheet and mark its outer edges on the wall.

(4) Use a ruler to transpose the beam location onto the plywood.

(4b-optional) If the plywood is big you might want to put a few t-nuts for climbing holds outside the simulator, maybe even a bolt hanger for clipping?

(5) Hold the plywood on the wall aligned to the edges you marked and drill the screws through the center of the beams I'd put 2-3 per beams, minimum of two to a side. Ideally, 8 screws in 3 studs or better is what I'd be comfortable with.

(6) Mount the simulator to the plywood according to the instructions.

I've done this (but I went a bit overboard and screwed 2x4s to the beams in the wall with 4 1/2" screws *then* the plywood on the 2x4s) and a 240lbs guy could "dyno" to it without the slightest creak.

shoo

Feb 22, 2008, 8:20 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If for whatever reason you can't find the studs or they are in a bad place or something, there is an alternative. Drill all the way through the door frame into the next room or hallway or something. Put the hangboard on a plywood surface. Take a 2x4 or something equivalent, put it on the hallway side of the door, and bolt the hangboard all the way through the door frame into the 2x4 on the other side. This will distribute the load a little so you aren't just relying on the screws into the "compressed sawdust" type board.

I have actually had that exact board fall on me. It was screwed directly into drywall. Poor decision. It hit the ground and cracked in two, leaving 6 really ugly holes above my door.

(This post was edited by shoo on Feb 22, 2008, 8:21 PM)

krusher4

Feb 22, 2008, 8:31 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

putting some wood behind it is key, just like many things in life...

markc

Feb 22, 2008, 9:24 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2337 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] new Metolius Simulator, where to put it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
I have actually had that exact board fall on me.

Me, too, only it was during deinstallation when I was moving. I had the board directly attached to the studs, and one of the screws was apparently taking a bit more weight. It was bent, and I had to do some shenanigans with a hacksaw blade to cut the thing down. I finally got through the screw and the simulator got me right in the chest. I should have thrown a couple of the screws back in the other holes, but it was the last thing I was dealing with when moving out, and logic was long gone. That will get your attention at 1:00 a.m.

blink3388

Feb 23, 2008, 8:54 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2272 views)
Shortcut

new Metolius Simulator, where to put it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the ideas, the wood on the other side wont work because we're tying not to make the hall way look ugly (just been decorated) and i really don't think theres joists in the top of the door frame.

Now we have gone one better now after a large discussion. were gonna build a CLIMBING WALL in my room! The main feature will be a large overhang for the reason that theres not loads of room and it will help with my upper body strength, which im lacking atm. and i'll probably put the hanging board on that!:D i'll update the forum with updates as things get going.

Also feel sorry for the guys who have had the Hanging boards fall on em!:P

jindap

Jan 10, 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2036 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] new Metolius Simulator, where to put it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, i have the exact same hang board and because i live in a nyc apartment, improperly built walls (no studs above the door frame at all).

do you have any pictures of this set up? just to give me an idea of what i should be doing.

thanks,
jp

shoo

Jan 11, 2011, 5:31 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jindap] new Metolius Simulator, where to put it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jindap wrote:
hey, i have the exact same hang board and because i live in a nyc apartment, improperly built walls (no studs above the door frame at all).

do you have any pictures of this set up? just to give me an idea of what i should be doing.

thanks,
jp

No pics, sorry. Also, this is a bad, bad idea. Only try this if you're desperate.

I have long since given up on injury boards in general. I work at a gym. I'd rather just climb there and enjoy myself, and I'm climbing hard enough nowadays where I won't be limited much by grades pretty much anywhere I go.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook