RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

NinjaCOB

Feb 22, 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1102 views)
Shortcut

Thailand, rock, shops, Malaria
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey! This is pretty much my first post. Seems like a nice forum, glad to have found it.

I'm going to thailand for 4 months and to anybody that's been there, how is the rock? I'm pretty new at this sport so I don't have much experience in lead climbing. I'm wondering if there are many bolted routes? Or do I need to get cams?

What about the shops? Can you get some good gear over there? Or should I buy all my stuff over here (in Canada) before I go.

And last but not least. Malaria! Have you guys been taking the anti-malaria drugs while you where out there? Or did you not bother?

Thanks a lot!

chillipphi

Feb 23, 2008, 3:52 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NinjaCOB] Thailand, rock, shops, Malaria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm on my way over there as well. Haven't been before but I'll pass on some of the info I've been looking at. Check out

http://www.railay.com/railay/intro/intro.shtml

for info on Tonsai/Railay. There is also a forum there with answers to a lot of the common questions people ask.

Everyone's postings that I've read says that there are only bolted lines. Don't even bother bringing the trad rack. DWS or sport. Bouldering at Koh Tao.

The forum on Railay climbing:
http://www.railay.com/railay/news/viewforum.php?f=3

Yes you can buy gear there, mostly same brands as here or European stuff. Wee's shop in Tonsai has had good reviews but they're probably going to be expensive. There are shops in Bangkok that one guy posted info for in that forum I listed above.

As for Malaria, I'm more concerned about the side effects from those drugs and instead am going to opt for a mosquito net at night and mosquito coils and other types of repellent. Just have to be careful not to get that crap on the gear.

Hope that helps. Perhaps I'll run into you over there.

Phil

NinjaCOB

Feb 23, 2008, 4:11 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chillipphi] Thailand, rock, shops, Malaria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright! Excellent info, I'm checking out the forum right now.

I feel the exact same way about the malaria pills. I'dd rather just have a net, and repellant.
I wonder if there are any mosquitos on the rock. It is jungle but it's right on the beach. Maybe on windless days the mosquitos are there. Anyway I wont be climbing after dark anyway.

chillipphi

Feb 23, 2008, 7:08 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there are probably mosquito's everywhere except out at sea. Though it's supposed to be "dry" so perhaps not as many.

drop me a line when you get to Tonsai and I'll try and meet up with you if I'm there at the same time. Good luck wrapping up everything to leave. I should be there till about April 13 or so.

Phil

wilddoc

Feb 26, 2008, 3:13 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chillipphi] Thailand, rock, shops, Malaria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a doctor who essentially specializes in travel medicine. I have taken care of quite a few visiting travelers and local nationals in Thailand, and have dealt with many malaria cases from the area. Malaria is not endemic to most of the urban areas in Thailand. However, malaria has been a problem in the non-urban regions. A stay of longer than 30 days puts you at particularly high risk. You can find the latest regional information for Thailand (and anywhere else in the world) by googling "CDC Yellow Book". This is an outstanding medical resource for anyone traveling abroad. If the area you are visiting is identified as a malaria endemic region on the CDC website, I would certainly recommend some of the personal protective measures Phil discussed in his post (permethrin repellant, bednets, etc). By the way, studies have shown permethrin does not damage fibers or water repellant coatings (I still don't put it on my climbing gear, though - just my clothes). I would also reconsider anti-malaria prophylaxis depending on the CDC guidelines for your area. The risk of side effects of common regimens (such as doxycycline) are negligible compared to the risk of contracting malaria and the hell it puts you through. You will hear stories of side effects from medicine, and you will hear stories of going to thailand without medicine and coming back malaria free. My recommendation is based on statistics only. I have experienced the rare mild side effects of some drugs, but I have also seen and treated malaria. The choice is simple for me. You also get the fringe benefit of preventing traveler's diarrhea and other illnesses with some of the malaria regimens. If you would like to discuss it further off post, you can email me separately. But please understand this does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship between us. Just friendly advice between two climbers (I have to say that).

travel143

Feb 26, 2008, 4:56 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there last summer. Raily and phi phi island have the best climbing. All the climbing are sport climbs. I brought my harness and shoes only and met people to climb with. There are also companys that you can rent rope and quick draws. I met people that I share the rental equipment with.
I did not get sick. When you eat at restrauant do not use the ice or drink their water. Just drink bottle water.

mtselman

Feb 26, 2008, 7:51 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since you mention being new to the sport, I want to warn you that the majority of the routes on Railay/Tonsay are relatively hard. As far as I remember, there is a minimal number of routes below 5.10.
If you are an "under 5.10" climber, you may have better luck at climbing on Phi-Phi island for a few days and then moving to Railay once you cover Phi-Phi's collection.
(Excellent diving off Phi-Phi as well if you are into it)
There are a couple of climbing outfits on Phi-Phi.
If you are coming to climb, then bring harness, shoes, rope, quickdraws. If you are going to travel through Thailand and only planning to climb as a side-activity then you can pretty much rent everything there, but the quality may vary. (it'll be most likely safe, but just may not be the best fitting shoes/harness etc..) There was also a climbing shop on Tonsai if I remember correctly that sold new gear. But the prices are higher then at home.
As for malaria - it really depends. I spent 1.5 years traveling through India, Nepal, Thailand, etc.. and never took malaria pills. But I was avoiding monsoon seasons by going to higher elevations and drier regions. Talk to a few travel doctors, especially to those who have practical experience of traveling to these places.

--Misha

peterpan

Feb 26, 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lived in SE Asia, and climbed in Thailand and Malaysia for three years almost every weekend. Rock is awesome (stalagtites etc). I have never met a climber who got Malaria, but I met a few who got Dengue. I always applied insect repellant before heading out, and lit a few fumakillas around the climbing base. If you're in Bangkok, nearest climbing is in Petburi and Lopburi. Climbing, like Railey, is usually 5.9 and harder. I still got friends there, and it is still the same. Good luck.

wilddoc

Feb 27, 2008, 9:05 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1030 views)
Shortcut

Re: [peterpan] Thailand, rock, shops, Malaria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Peterpan makes a great point. Dengue, also known as "breakbone fever", is not fun. It's caused by a biting insect. Another great argument for permethrin. Buy a bottle, stick your clothes in a freezer bag, spray until there's liquid sitting at the bottom, stick it in the fridge for about a day, then air dry and pack your bags. The resulting bug repellant cloud that follows you around lasts much longer this way (4 weeks in bad conditions in my experience) compared to just spraying. It'll also keep the jungle leeches in Thailand away (if it moves like an inch worm, dont touch it - these guys dont carry disease, but they're annoying as hell). Of course, the best protection is a combination of topical DEET and permethrin treated clothing. But those that do not like the idea of putting insect repelland on their skin every day are usually satisfied with the permethrin.

NinjaCOB

Feb 27, 2008, 6:14 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wilddoc] Thailand, rock, shops, Malaria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

But the permethrin thing, I have to do this everytime I clean my clothes? So one a week I have to soak my clothes in this stuff and stick it in the fridge?

wilddoc

Feb 28, 2008, 8:49 AM
Post #11 of 11 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No. Permethrin is good for 4-5 washings per the bottle. For me, with the above method and daily wear, after 4 washings, it's too weak to do a whole lot. But that's just me.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook