Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Any Updates?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

gbclimber

Feb 22, 2008, 11:58 PM
Post #1 of 2 (989 views)
Shortcut

Any Updates?  (North_America: United_States: California: Sacramento_Area: Auburn_State_Recreation_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Are there any updates or news on this area? Is it still illegal? What efforts are being made? I've been there a couple of times and it is an amazing place with A LOT of potential...

Currently the ASRA is in the process of devoloping a "New General Plan for the ASRA". The project manager, Jim Micheaels, emailed me today regarding the subject of technical rock climbing within the ASRA:

"Currently rock climbing is not permitted within ASRA.
However, we are in the midst of developing a new General Plan for ASRA. We have had a number of public meetings and workshops over the past two years. Rock climbing – whether or not to allow climbing within ASRA and specifically in the Quarry area – is one of the issues we have identified for the plan. The plan will determine whether or not climbing will be allowed and if so - any limitations or restrictions on this activity. We have had lots of input from climbers thus far in the process."

(This post was edited by gbclimber on Feb 23, 2008, 1:03 AM)

roughster

Mar 10, 2008, 5:12 AM
Post #2 of 2 (932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gbclimber] Any Updates? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thats the same line I get from Jim from my frequent emails, and thats if he responds at all. We shall see... I am not a big fan of the silence from them for the better part of a year. So yes it is still illegal. Yes the AF and other climbers are working with them over it. Yes, I have sent them repeated emails and phone calls asking for updates... Not sure what else we can do other than storming the castle with torches in hand.

On the other hand, was out at DTSA today. Absolutely perfect weather with no one there except for me, the Mrs, and the kids. Both kids had a blast and this was my sons 1st real time climbing. Of course the 3 mile hike is probably a major deterrent for some, but my son is 6 and made the hike-in, climbed all day, then the hike-out without one complaint.

As cool as it would be to get Auburn back, and don't get me wrong I would freak, DTSA has plenty of lines of all ranges, and I plan on bolting in a few easier ones over the next few weekends for the kids.

(This post was edited by roughster on Mar 10, 2008, 5:13 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook