Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbguy__1

Feb 28, 2008, 4:33 PM
Post #26 of 31 (1259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbguy__1] Funky homemade wall features [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I forgot to answer the friction question. Do what I suggested above. I have made incredibly lage batches of such a mixture for spraying on a commercial gym before and it does make great, long lasting texture. The only thing is that you would have to spread it by hand...use a popsicle stick and make sure its even, cause once it dries, thats it man. If there are extra lumps or blems, you can use a sander to get rid of them.

photoguy190

Feb 28, 2008, 4:39 PM
Post #27 of 31 (1252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to school in Nebraska none of us are boulders and we want to stay strong at crack climbing that is why it is worth it to us, we don't want to make it screw on cause that would set a precedent and then more screw ons would go up and the wall would take a beating routes don't stay very long. Why would you make it out of 4x4 what is the benefit of the extra material. Thanks for you input I do want it, just realize we aren't you typical boulders we are just stuck in Nebraska and this is "ALL" we got.

climbguy__1

Feb 28, 2008, 4:56 PM
Post #28 of 31 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Re: [photoguy190] Funky homemade wall features [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One of mu buddy's owns a gym and he says the same thing about screw ons. I just done see the logic there. Go around once a year and fill in the little tiny holes with some wood glue if its really a concern.

I would use 4X4s becaue you can shape the crack better to simulate what you would come accross in the "real world". Very seldom do we get those beautiful splitter cracks like Indian Creek. I think that 4X4's would be a little stronger in the long term too. You could sand them down and make them all rounded and sexy.

I still say that screw on is the way to do it...you could have a hand crack one week, a finger crack the next, and an off width the following.....Im sure you get the point.

I use screw on holds all the time. I figure, so what if I have to replace a piece of plywood once every 15 years ;)

Good luck, I think you should post when your creation is done. It only took me one night to throw together that huge triangle feature. It goes quick once you are into it.

Peace

mr_krinkle

Feb 28, 2008, 5:34 PM
Post #29 of 31 (1221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At the gym I climb at they put up a feature a few months ago. They bolted a backing board to the wall (not sure what kind) then screwed the feature to the backing board so they didn't screw the wall (pun intended).

photoguy190

Feb 28, 2008, 6:04 PM
Post #30 of 31 (1201 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr_krinkle] Funky homemade wall features [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yea thats what I think I'm going to do, was it hard to put up the backing board

jeffvoigt

Mar 26, 2008, 8:41 PM
Post #31 of 31 (1009 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtengaio] Funky homemade wall features [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to work at a gym and we made features like this. A couple of them looked exactly like the ones in the photo, but we had some that were 6 feet tall by 4 feet wide and stuck out from the wall about 2 feet. These things were rad because you could put up three or four of them on a flat wall and make mini roofs, ledges small corners and short hand cracks if you positioned them correctly!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook