RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

lass0034

Mar 3, 2008, 3:23 AM
Post #1 of 10 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Home Made Gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

WinkJust wondering if anyone has made any home made Aid gear. I have read the other forums on this subject. Post pictures of your home made gear here. I am looking right now into making my own RUPS. I just can't see spending all that money for something that small and that is only good for body weight anyway. Anyone made any home made hooks like the old ring angle claw?

pmyche

Mar 3, 2008, 3:37 AM
Post #2 of 10 (4497 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by pmyche [In reply to]
Report this Post

lass0034

Mar 3, 2008, 5:14 AM
Post #3 of 10 (4454 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmyche] Home Made Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah thicker cable is always better for longevity any way. I am getting back into the sport after a few years off. I dug out my old gear and I am looking to finish out my rack for summer. The rups I have used in the past always buckled after a few placements. I was looking online and chromoly steel sheets are available. I figured a little work with the drill press and a grinder and I could churn out a few of these babies. Take them to a machine shop and have them nicopress some cable on. Heck I think that with a little time some of these beaks could be made as well. Looking at the price for some of this stuff make my wallet quiver. Come on 14-20 dollars for a small piece of steel? Let the grinding begin!!!

marde

Mar 3, 2008, 4:53 PM
Post #4 of 10 (4370 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lass0034] Home Made Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

don't forget the heat treatment
the sheets will be too soft the way you will get them

lass0034

Mar 4, 2008, 1:56 AM
Post #5 of 10 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marde] Home Made Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I will have to do that as well. Fire up the blowtorch and heat them up. Has anyone else done this before? I see like 200 people have read this. How about some talk on home made pitons, hooks and heads. Everyone out there can't be happy with Black Diamond pitons and their ever increasing prices for stuff that used to be made in the USAMad!!

tolman_paul

Mar 4, 2008, 2:04 AM
Post #6 of 10 (4312 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll take some pictures of some home made beaks. I used to make misc climbing gear, but honestly for the time that it takes me to make it, I'm better off buying it.

I do have a nico-press swager and various sized cable and swages which is handy for repairs and misc items. But when it comes to machinging and metalworking it better be an item I can bang out a dozen or so an hour to make it worth my while.

The beaks I made don't have a swaged loop, I figured they are better with a hole to clip a biner in, and gain a few inches more verticle per placement, which adds up.

lass0034

Mar 4, 2008, 2:31 AM
Post #7 of 10 (4291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tolman_paul] Home Made Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool !!how long did it take for you to make your own beaks? Love to see a picture. As for your nicopress how much did you have to pay for yours? I have been looking online and they are from 30 to hundreds of dollars. Wondering if they are a good investment. With the right one heads and other cable rigging can be made. I have seen some that are used for sailboat rigging. Would that be the best kind to get?

tolman_paul

Mar 4, 2008, 2:51 AM
Post #8 of 10 (4279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll try and get a picture up of the beaks in the next few days. As to the swager I got, it is like this one http://secure.data-comm.com/RBIS/Detail.bok?no=132908 and as I recall 20 odd years ago it was $100.

I have a smaller one I got from a fishing store that I use for repairing the small cables on camming units.

I made the beaks quite awhile ago, and I don't recall exactly how long I spent on them, but likely a few hours. If I had a good metal cutting bandsaw and a knifemakers belt grinder I could speed up the production a fair bit, but with the cost of that equipment in the $1000 or more range, I could buy an aweful lot of beaks, and spend my time climbing.

The best way to make such items is when you have access to a machine shop, can raid the scrap bin for free materialas and can use the machines gratus.

Looks like the price hasn't gone up on the swagers after all http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Hand_Tools/Hand_Swagers/22-ST24C.htm

You probably won't be doing much 3/16" cable, but it's nice to be able to do 1/16, 3/32, 1/8 and 5/32 cable.

(This post was edited by tolman_paul on Mar 4, 2008, 2:54 AM)

tolman_paul

Mar 6, 2008, 6:18 PM
Post #9 of 10 (4157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't forget. I don't recall when I made these, maybe 15 years ago. I should probably shorten the tip by about 1/4", it was made from 1/8" tool steel.

lass0034

Mar 6, 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #10 of 10 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tolman_paul] Home Made Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice! you did a really good job on that. It sure is shiny. How was it to use?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook