Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

f2

Mar 5, 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #1 of 29 (13583 views)
Shortcut

handdrilling
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

which is better the handpec by petzl or the fixe handdrill??
Thanks for any help ive heard different things from folks and was trying to get a broader audience. thanks again john

wenclg1

Mar 5, 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #2 of 29 (13567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [f2] handdrilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy a trad rack instead.

the_climber

Mar 6, 2008, 12:08 AM
Post #3 of 29 (13555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wenclg1] handdrilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wenclg1 wrote:
Buy a trad rack instead.

You obviously don't know much about big wall or new routing.... just a guess as you claim to climb "mostly sport"

To the OP, I prefer both the feel and the ease of use of the Petzl Rock Pecker for hand drilling.

roninthorne

Mar 6, 2008, 12:39 AM
Post #4 of 29 (13538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try the Fixe, John... just my opinion, based on drilling a few bolts from hook placements with one, after leading up on a - yep, you guessed it- trad rack.

And while I'm at it...

wenclg1 wrote:
Buy a trad rack instead.

This is exactly the sort of smarmy, self-righteous, unhelpful, trolling crap "reply" that is starting to make RC.com a joke when it comes to climbing info and advice. Get a life. If the man is looking to find the best hand drill, don't you think... never mind... that question answers itself by way of your "reply".

Basically, if you trollers, posers, and internet jackoffs don't have an answer to a question, how do they say it here... oh, yeah... STFU, tool. Go back to watching "Jackass" on your TiVo or something, and let the climbers in the community do the talking, okay?

moose_droppings

Mar 6, 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #5 of 29 (13528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] handdrilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
Try the Fixe, John... just my opinion, based on drilling a few bolts from hook placements with one, after leading up on a - yep, you guessed it- trad rack.

And while I'm at it...

wenclg1 wrote:
Buy a trad rack instead.

This is exactly the sort of smarmy, self-righteous, unhelpful, trolling crap "reply" that is starting to make RC.com a joke when it comes to climbing info and advice. Get a life. If the man is looking to find the best hand drill, don't you think... never mind... that question answers itself by way of your "reply".

Basically, if you trollers, posers, and internet jackoffs don't have an answer to a question, how do they say it here... oh, yeah... STFU, tool. Go back to watching "Jackass" on your TiVo or something, and let the climbers in the community do the talking, okay?

No need to get all jacked up. If the OP has been around enough people putting up lines and anchors, then he'd probably already would of had his hands on a few and might know what is best for him. Most people with a good knowledge of hand drilling don't need to come to the internerd for an answer.

kyleshea

Mar 6, 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #6 of 29 (13528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:

And while I'm at it...

wenclg1 wrote:
Buy a trad rack instead.

maybe they just have a sense of humor.

salamanizer

Mar 6, 2008, 1:58 AM
Post #7 of 29 (13487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Fixe drill is a PIECE OF SHIT!

phang_nga

Mar 6, 2008, 2:07 AM
Post #8 of 29 (13482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:

And while I'm at it...

wenclg1 wrote:
Buy a trad rack instead.

Exactly roninthorne. This is why I left this forum about a year ago and now only look at it every once in a while. If someone asks for help, chances are some know-it-all-wise-guy is going to give a smart-a$$ reply instead of helping.

I guess it's time to stop looking for advice here. Is there such a thing as a moderator on this forum? If there is, he/she should pay a bit more attention. I'm sure I'm not the only adult who has been put off by the childishness of some posters.

vashie

Mar 6, 2008, 4:22 AM
Post #9 of 29 (13412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of the two, I like the petzl better. The two allen screws that hold the bit suck. The petzl doesn't have them and the wrists loop is nice.

mojede

Mar 6, 2008, 5:14 AM
Post #10 of 29 (13385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Three words: Bit, bit, and bit.

Get a good one and whack away.

c4c

Mar 6, 2008, 11:39 AM
Post #11 of 29 (13344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

f2 wrote:
which is better the handpec by petzl or the fixe handdrill??
Thanks for any help ive heard different things from folks and was trying to get a broader audience. thanks again john

I've used them both and prefer the petzl for alot of reasons but the quick change bit is the biggest + (no allen screw/ tool)

f2

Mar 6, 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #12 of 29 (13300 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] handdrilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks guys ill think i ll go with the petzl. i didn't mean to start an ordeal. i have a trad rack but anchors can be nice on a new route im not a big ballah with the funds for an electric drill.

wenclg1

Mar 7, 2008, 12:03 AM
Post #13 of 29 (13290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] handdrilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You all are 100% correct. I don't know enough about big wall climbing or climbing in our national parks or wilderness areas, and I only come here to the forums to BS and I'm a total waste of time. As are 95% of the forums on this site. Although they are quite fun to read, I will keep the lame comments to myself, and stay away from the computer screen. Enjoy your internet fun!

chossmonkey

Mar 7, 2008, 12:24 AM
Post #14 of 29 (13280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wenclg1 wrote:
You all are 100% correct. I don't know enough about big wall climbing or climbing in our national parks or wilderness areas, and I only come here to the forums to BS and I'm a total waste of time. As are 95% of the forums on this site. Although they are quite fun to read, I will keep the lame comments to myself, and stay away from the computer screen. Enjoy your internet fun!
Okay, I will.

If the Fixe drill is like the old Pika drill I'd go with the petzl. The set screw has never fallen out on me but it is still a pain to have to have a tool for putting the bit in and out.

tolman_paul

Mar 7, 2008, 12:33 AM
Post #15 of 29 (13273 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] handdrilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure you need a tool with the Petzl, but it's a large wrench tightening a collet vs a set screws on the Fixe.

I have a home-made holder that uses set screws, and it works well enough... But hand-drilling sucks.

Though the modern holders using SDS bits blow away the old rawl holders using drift pins to knock out steel drill bits that would be dull before finishing a single hole.

c4c

Mar 7, 2008, 12:53 AM
Post #16 of 29 (13264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tolman_paul] handdrilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tolman_paul wrote:
I'm pretty sure you need a tool with the Petzl, but it's a large wrench tightening a collet vs a set screws on the Fixe.

I have a home-made holder that uses set screws, and it works well enough... But hand-drilling sucks.

Though the modern holders using SDS bits blow away the old rawl holders using drift pins to knock out steel drill bits that would be dull before finishing a single hole.

nope, the new petzl rocpec uses a tooless quick release sds system --it is sweet.

tolman_paul

Mar 7, 2008, 1:16 AM
Post #17 of 29 (13254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll have to get one then, having a tool-less sds hand drill holder would be the ultimate way to go.

I still hate hand drilling, but it's the only option for some wilderness areas I'm looking to develop.

Partner pbcowboy77

Mar 8, 2008, 4:53 AM
Post #18 of 29 (13207 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been looking for a drill too, I was about to buy the Petzl but I have really big hands and it's too small for my hand. Has anyone else had this problem? Is the Petzl bad with big hands?

Thanks

billcoe_

Mar 8, 2008, 6:02 AM
Post #19 of 29 (13191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pbcowboy77] handdrilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, you're best alternative is to get an old A5 Middendorf Hurricane Hand Drill. Otherwise, live with the size of the Petzl and wear gloves while drilling. You'll be fine either way.

c4c

Mar 8, 2008, 5:21 PM
Post #20 of 29 (13150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] handdrilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
Yes, you're best alternative is to get an old A5 Middendorf Hurricane Hand Drill. Otherwise, live with the size of the Petzl and wear gloves while drilling. You'll be fine either way.
good luck finding one of those.

crotch

Mar 8, 2008, 5:47 PM
Post #21 of 29 (13136 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by crotch [In reply to]
Report this Post

c4c

Mar 8, 2008, 7:57 PM
Post #22 of 29 (13096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crotch] handdrilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crotch wrote:
c4c wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:
good luck finding one of those.

I have an unused Hurricane for sale for the right price.
Well there you go that wasn't as hard as I thought.

dingus

Mar 8, 2008, 8:44 PM
Post #23 of 29 (13083 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pbcowboy77] handdrilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pbcowboy77 wrote:
I've been looking for a drill too, I was about to buy the Petzl but I have really big hands and it's too small for my hand. Has anyone else had this problem? Is the Petzl bad with big hands?

Thanks

It doesn't need to be a perfect fit imo. I have large hands too and the Pecker tool fits just fine.

Brutus of Wyde has an old rawl drive handle he sawed into 3/4 length for wilderness routes. Talk about a pain in the hand!

I've used a lot of hand drills since my first Rawl Drive and the Pecker is the best. SDS system as c4c says, no other tools required. Same bits as for my power drill.

DMT

stymingersfink

Mar 12, 2008, 1:11 AM
Post #24 of 29 (12938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] handdrilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
SDS system as c4c says, no other tools required. Same bits as for my power drill.

DMT
...and THAT, my friends, is KEY!

petzl roc-peck. hands down.

Partner angry

Mar 23, 2008, 8:15 PM
Post #25 of 29 (11903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] handdrilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have tired hands

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook