RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

endrizzi

Mar 16, 2008, 5:24 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2159 views)
Shortcut

How to fix loose trigger cables/wires on my Black Diamond Cams
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Help Me!

I have a double set of old black diamond cams and all the trigger cables constantly are coming lose from the trigger especially while climbing and it is getting near dangerous because my partners are swearing and throwing the cams at me while they are leading.

I think they are coming loose because I've replaced the cables so many times that the plastic nub that keeps them in is gone. I'm thinking epoxy or superglue but thought I'd put this out there and see what others have done.

See attachment...not sure how you past images here.
Thanks

(This post was edited by endrizzi on Mar 16, 2008, 5:25 PM)
Attachments: IMG_6541.jpg (79.3 KB)

moose_droppings

Mar 16, 2008, 6:46 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [endrizzi] How to fix loose trigger cables/wires on my Black Diamond Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't tell from the pic, but if the little knob on the bottom of the keeper tab is wore off, try melting a drop of p-tex on it after you've got it in position.

Carnage

Mar 16, 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] How to fix loose trigger cables/wires on my Black Diamond Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

duct tape perhaps?

ptlong

Mar 17, 2008, 4:02 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [endrizzi] How to fix loose trigger cables/wires on my Black Diamond Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to add a little blob of glue like seam grip or shoe goo to block the cables when this happened. The glue would wear out and have to be reapplied after some number of months, and I'd usually discover this mid-pitch at the crux. I stopped having trouble with the two cams that developed this problem after the wires broke and I replaced the triggers with a slightly larger diameter wire and cable. The extra fraction of an inch made the cable fit very snug in the plastic part. The triggers are way more durable too. In fact the new C4 camalots use a larger diameter wire.

With that in mind, if I had this problem again I'd try a single wrap of thin tape on the cable where it goes into the plastic part with the hope that it would make it fit better.

Good luck.

(This post was edited by ptlong on Mar 17, 2008, 4:07 PM)

Partner j_ung

Mar 17, 2008, 4:23 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ptlong] How to fix loose trigger cables/wires on my Black Diamond Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ptlong wrote:
I used to add a little blob of glue like seam grip or shoe goo to block the cables when this happened. The glue would wear out and have to be reapplied after some number of months, and I'd usually discover this mid-pitch at the crux. I stopped having trouble with the two cams that developed this problem after the wires broke and I replaced the triggers with a slightly larger diameter wire and cable. The extra fraction of an inch made the cable fit very snug in the plastic part. The triggers are way more durable too. In fact the new C4 camalots use a larger diameter wire.

With that in mind, if I had this problem again I'd try a single wrap of thin tape on the cable where it goes into the plastic part with the hope that it would make it fit better.

Good luck.

Field repair for me would be to use a lighter or match to melt the plastic and reform it so the cable CAN'T pop out. For future repairs, you'll need another lighter.

johnparsons

Mar 17, 2008, 5:01 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get a trigger kit and replace them....everything else does not work

majid_sabet

Mar 17, 2008, 5:07 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

endrizzi wrote:
Help Me!

I have a double set of old black diamond cams and all the trigger cables constantly are coming lose from the trigger especially while climbing and it is getting near dangerous because my partners are swearing and throwing the cams at me while they are leading.

I think they are coming loose because I've replaced the cables so many times that the plastic nub that keeps them in is gone. I'm thinking epoxy or superglue but thought I'd put this out there and see what others have done.

Thanks

[image][/image]

1- take 2 small nails
2-run them under the cable
3- use some multi-purpose glue and glue the nails to cam trigger handle
4- have a good climb

[URL=http://imageshack.us]

Partner angry

Mar 17, 2008, 5:13 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2005 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] How to fix loose trigger cables/wires on my Black Diamond Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
endrizzi wrote:
Help Me!

Thanks

[image][/image]

1- take 2 small nails
2-run them under the cable
3- use some multi-purpose glue and glue the nails to cam trigger handle
4- have a good climb

[URL=http://imageshack.us]

Sonofabitch!!! I'm grudgingly agreeing with Majid.

This actually works. I've done it.

rangerrob

Mar 17, 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] How to fix loose trigger cables/wires on my Black Diamond Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah man....my buddy almost killed me when he tried to shove the grey camalot into the crux of Reppy Crack and the wire poppe dout of the trigger. I've since just wrapeed each end of the trigger in a little tape. Been good so far.

RR

chossmonkey

Mar 18, 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #10 of 10 (1895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tape will work for a little while, but a dab of glue works better as long as the tabs are still there.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook