Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

qwert

Mar 18, 2008, 5:56 PM
Post #176 of 234 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Go
The video is invalid since most mfgs use shackles with @ 5 mm in diameter and not some fat shackles that applies forces on the entire upper part and the bottom part of the elbow of the"D".

To make a valid test, he should realistically use a bolt hanger on one side and a 5 mm steel cable or a 11 mm rope.
im so caught on this train wreck that its already much too late to jump of, so im trieing to respond:

I dont find it, but didnt you first state that his shackles where to big, and with this theyy cause a levering action, making the pin and hook to engage, wich smaller shakles (or bolt hanger and rope) wouldnt do?
Im not trying to partake in this pissing, match, i really cant find your first statement on this.

i think 5mm diameter is more or less ok. round glue in bolts have about this diameter, and many ropes that are used nowadays also get very thin when wheigted really hard.

marde, where did you find that info on deformations on the biner hook? havent seen that in sicherheit in fels und eis. is it in the new issue, or has it been printed in the DAV panorama?

qwert

marde

Mar 18, 2008, 6:22 PM
Post #177 of 234 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

page 74
Sicherheit und Risiko in Fels und Eis 4. Auflage 1997

chilli

Mar 18, 2008, 6:27 PM
Post #178 of 234 (8108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
Shear pins are made of soft metal that shears easily - hence the name. The shear pin is meant to break to prevent damage to the rest of the system which contains much more expensive and hard to replace components like gear boxes, transmissions, bearings, etc....

yeah, i understand the concept of a shear pin. i was simply stating, as you have reiterated, the concept behind what happens when you don't use a shear pin... the rest of the device fails in some fashion. i may have been unclear in that i wasn't suggesting biners with shear pins, but postulating that maybe, similar to when a regular pin/bolt is used instead, that the other components fail because given the small surface area/length over which the pin receives force, it will be unlikely to bend/fail before the larger compenets which will warp first {not in bold to be obnoxious, just to make my point clear}
so after reading much of what majid was saying, it seemed to me as though he was saying that the pin SHOULD have failed in some of these tests if it was properly engaged.
maybe i'm failing to see majid's point, but it seems only logical to me that the pin would NOT fail and that you would see the damage to the rest of the biner first. this would (in my understanding of what majid was saying) mean that his assumption that the pin isn't doing any good is not sound. it seems to me that the pin is doing so much good that it is simply not the compenent that fails. the pull test videos (and the ppt posted) seem to support that idea.
it seems as though the argument here, between many of you and majid, centers around this theory that the pin, isn't doing any good becuase it's not engaging properly. it seems (as i said before) only logical that the pin IS engaging and is simply not failing before the rest of the biner warps to the point that the pin is unhooked (much like you would see other failures in my tractor analogy).

b.t.w., open-gate cases are a whole new can of worms IMO.

so is that still the argument going on here, majid; or was was that settled? if that is the debate, why do you think the pin should be failing?

if i've missed the point, a simple rc.com-typical "STFU" will suffice just fine.Wink

edit to add bold

(This post was edited by chilli on Mar 18, 2008, 6:35 PM)

acorneau

Mar 18, 2008, 6:34 PM
Post #179 of 234 (8101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
The video is invalid since most mfgs use shackles with @ 5 mm in diameter and not some fat shackles that applies forces on the entire upper part and the bottom part of the elbow of the"D".

Sorry, try again. The UIAA testing video CLEARLY shows them using ~10mm quicklinks to pull the biners. The Breakotron and SMC videos are about the same as well.

Besides, two rounded surfaces perpendicular to each other (i.e. quicklink/shackle to carabiner) will have a very small amount of surface area in contact with each other.

Thanks for playing, try again!

majid_sabet

Mar 18, 2008, 6:44 PM
Post #180 of 234 (8091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Go

To make a valid test, he should realistically use a bolt hanger on one side and a 5 mm steel cable or a 11 mm rope.
im so caught on this train wreck that its already much too late to jump of, so im trieing to respond:

I dont find it, but didnt you first state that his shackles where to big, and with this theyy cause a levering action, making the pin and hook to engage, wich smaller shakles (or bolt hanger and rope) wouldnt do?
Im not trying to partake in this pissing, match, i really cant find your first statement on this.

i think 5mm diameter is more or less ok. round glue in bolts have about this diameter, and many ropes that are used nowadays also get very thin when wheigted really hard.

marde, where did you find that info on deformations on the biner hook? havent seen that in sicherheit in fels und eis. is it in the new issue, or has it been printed in the DAV panorama?

qwert

5 mm is the industry's standard used by most mfgs .

marde

Mar 18, 2008, 6:51 PM
Post #181 of 234 (8095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.theuiaa.org/...onnectors01-2004.pdf
UIAA says 12mm

chilli

Mar 18, 2008, 6:52 PM
Post #182 of 234 (8094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Sorry, try again. The UIAA testing video CLEARLY shows them using ~10mm quicklinks to pull the biners. The Breakotron and SMC videos are about the same as well.

Besides, two rounded surfaces perpendicular to each other (i.e. quicklink/shackle to carabiner) will have a very small amount of surface area in contact with each other....

theoretically i see what majid is getting at in that the larger diameter, despite the very small surface area contact, would push that contact a little farther away from the spine. HOWEVER, allen brings up a valid point that given the video i've seen and that pdf-file, it seems HIGHLY unlikely that changing from approx 10mm links to something smaller would result in anything "more realistic to the field" than the results found.

also, i noticed that as soon as the biner began to warp, the bottom link started sliding toward the gate. i bet the same thing would happen with a smaller diameter link.
PLUS, in any real world application the software on one side of the biner (rope or what have you) would distribute its force over AT LEAST the area that the links are.

maybe you should do that test, majid (or get somebody to do it). i kind of see your hypothesis with the diameter issue, but my guess is that you'll see pretty much exactly the same thing.

(This post was edited by chilli on Mar 18, 2008, 6:54 PM)

jt512

Mar 18, 2008, 6:52 PM
Post #183 of 234 (8092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
You think I just woke up one day and decided to pick on biner and flood the RC with none sense?

No. I think you wake up every day and decide to flood rc.com with nonsense.

Jay

Partner baja_java

Mar 18, 2008, 7:06 PM
Post #184 of 234 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Re: saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rasoy wrote:
...scientific analysis...

that's a rather loose use of the term to describe this mess

if any scientific thinking were applied by the OP, or even just common sense, the "problem" would've been resolved much sooner, and easier

majid_sabet

Mar 18, 2008, 7:07 PM
Post #185 of 234 (8068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
You think I just woke up one day and decided to pick on biner and flood the RC with none sense?

Jay

Jay, I feel bad that your anti wabbit software failed. Start working on V3.0

Dry_Hands

Mar 18, 2008, 7:10 PM
Post #186 of 234 (8060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
The way I see it, the pin and the little hook do nothing.
{edit to remove hypothesis}
Alright, I am waiting for the climbing manufacture engineers to explain this myth here.

HAS FAILED

Due to the BOLD reason(s) below:

1) http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ = Burden of Proof
2) Troll
3) Threadjack
4) Not helping or Useless post

(This post was edited by Dry_Hands on Mar 18, 2008, 7:12 PM)

Partner baja_java

Mar 18, 2008, 7:10 PM
Post #187 of 234 (8059 views)
Shortcut

Re: saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just a general FYI

if one thinks there may be a problem with a piece of gear, like with a biner's gate pin-hood design, the first step should be to verify the problem, instead of skipping ahead to raise a commotion to denounce and scream and yell for the dire need for re-design. because a quick resolution might be that someone who understands better how a biner works might point out why the so-called design "screw-up" might not be a "screw-up" at all, that the real issue lies in the original person's misinterpretion of what he saw made possible by his limited understanding. and even within that first small step, that person would get to learn something new, a good thing, well, unless one has gone much of his life avoiding anything or anyone that might show he doesn't know much

after the problem is indeed confirmed, after the caution is passed on to people who most need to be made aware, e.g., manufacturers (who have better and more resources for re-testing and re-design) and retailers, then one can proceed to raise hell or grandstand or whatever the heck else. and it'd be nice to mention in the memo whether to bring torches and pitchforks

that's all just common sense, of course, as is:

someone who doesn't fully understand a particular piece of gear nor has the capacity to do so probably isn't the best person to spearhead the re-design of that gear

trenchdigger

Mar 18, 2008, 7:14 PM
Post #188 of 234 (8048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Yes.

irregularpanda

Mar 18, 2008, 7:19 PM
Post #189 of 234 (8042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Jay

Thank you... and to think for a minute I was starting to think I was being unreasonable for flaming the moron in the lab. And majid, please flame me now, because it will drive another nail into your coffin of hypocrisy.... please.

Utter waste of time.

majid_sabet

Mar 18, 2008, 7:22 PM
Post #190 of 234 (8041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chilli] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chilli wrote:
acorneau wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Besides, two rounded surfaces perpendicular to each other (i.e. quicklink/shackle to carabiner) will have a very small amount of surface area in contact with each other....

theoretically i see what majid is getting at in that the larger diameter, despite the very small surface area contact, would push that contact a little farther away from the spine. HOWEVER, allen brings up a valid point that given the video i've seen and that pdf-file, it seems HIGHLY unlikely that changing from approx 10mm links to something smaller would result in anything "more realistic to the field" than the results found.

also, i noticed that as soon as the biner began to warp, the bottom link started sliding toward the gate. i bet the same thing would happen with a smaller diameter link.
PLUS, in any real world application the software on one side of the biner (rope or what have you) would distribute its force over AT LEAST the area that the links are.

maybe you should do that test, majid (or get somebody to do it). i kind of see your hypothesis with the diameter issue, but my guess is that you'll see pretty much exactly the same thing.

Theoretically, when a climber falls, his biners are attached to a protection of some sort that has less than 5 mm in diameter (bolt hanger 3mm. cams, 3-5 mm, nut, 2-4 mm, hex, 3-6 mm….etc) and a rope which under massive tension( fall factor) becomes half of its original diameter.

When was the last time you clipped in to a 12 mm bolt hanger or a 10 mm cam?

majid_sabet

Mar 18, 2008, 7:42 PM
Post #191 of 234 (8025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

more stuff here

http://web.mit.edu/...lation_overview.html

The coupling of energy from an oscillating rope to a carabiner gate has been implicated as the culprit for gate opening [1, 2] but this phenomenon has not been investigated in a systematic manner. Carabiner failure is relatively rare, but open gate failures make up the majority of failures [?]. In general, the open gate condition is blamed on poor luck, initial conditions that cause the carabiner gate to catch on the cliff surface, or the sudden impact of the carabiner on the cliff surface [?]. In a recent incident in Holland however, no such explanation is likely, which makes one wonder whether the rope oscillations might be more common than is expected (figure #)[].

Evidence suggests that rope oscillations are common and significant in magnitude. Photos taken of climbers (figure #) show such oscillation, and any belayer whose climber insists on hangdogging for long periods of time can break up the boredom by ?plucking? the rope to make it oscillate like a guitar string. Further evidence may be available from drop test data, where the sine wave form of the tension vs. time exhibits an added sine wave whose frequency is several times that of the deceleration of the falling mass (figure #).

To evaluate the likelihood of rope oscillations causing carabiner gates to vibrate open, this project develops a model for when rope oscillation is prone to opening carabiner gates and tests rope and carabiners to veryify the model.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Mar 18, 2008, 7:43 PM)

trenchdigger

Mar 18, 2008, 8:19 PM
Post #192 of 234 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chilli] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chilli wrote:
theoretically i see what majid is getting at in that the larger diameter, despite the very small surface area contact, would push that contact a little farther away from the spine.

This will only occur if the inner radius of the bend of the carabiner is smaller than the radius of the rod used to pull on the carabiner. Otherwise, the 10mm pin will contact the carabiner exactly where the 5mm pin will.

You won't find many (if any) carabiners with a bend radius smaller than the radius of the largest rope you'd expect to use with that carabiner. Such a bend would tend to pinch the rope and bind.

trenchdigger

Mar 18, 2008, 8:29 PM
Post #193 of 234 (7990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
more stuff here

The coupling of energy from an oscillating rope to a carabiner gate has been implicated as the culprit for gate opening [1, 2] but this phenomenon has not been investigated in a systematic manner. Carabiner failure is relatively rare, but open gate failures make up the majority of failures [?]. In general, the open gate condition is blamed on poor luck, initial conditions that cause the carabiner gate to catch on the cliff surface, or the sudden impact of the carabiner on the cliff surface [?]. In a recent incident in Holland however, no such explanation is likely, which makes one wonder whether the rope oscillations might be more common than is expected (figure #)[].

Evidence suggests that rope oscillations are common and significant in magnitude. Photos taken of climbers (figure #) show such oscillation, and any belayer whose climber insists on hangdogging for long periods of time can break up the boredom by ?plucking? the rope to make it oscillate like a guitar string. Further evidence may be available from drop test data, where the sine wave form of the tension vs. time exhibits an added sine wave whose frequency is several times that of the deceleration of the falling mass (figure #).

To evaluate the likelihood of rope oscillations causing carabiner gates to vibrate open, this project develops a model for when rope oscillation is prone to opening carabiner gates and tests rope and carabiners to veryify the model.

But none of this should matter if, as you claim, the pin/gate doesn't actually do anything to add strength to the system, right?

Partner cracklover

Mar 18, 2008, 8:52 PM
Post #194 of 234 (7971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
cracklover wrote:
chilli wrote:
so, applied to the world of biners, it seems logical to me that the pin may indeed engage and keep things safe for a while, until the rest of the biner starts to warp, thus pulling the hook away from/off of the pin, while the pin/hook itself never failed. it makes sense to me that if the pin were longer (allowing more area over which to warp) it would be the first thing to fail, but it's not, so it engages, holds for a while, the rest of the biner warps, pin disengages, and then we say "what the hell? did that pin even do any good?"

You've been led astray by Majid's postulation. A biner simply doesn't fail the way he states that it does.

This simply doesn't happen, unless the gate is held open or flutters open:
[image]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/521/81798928iq1.jpg[/image]

This does:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZyVD0FBLiFQ

If you watch the above video, you'll see that the hook actually will engage *more* with the pin, until the biner breaks at the elbow where it's bent.

GO

Go

Nonsense. See the responses others have already given. In short, the larger the shackle, the *more* the force will be applied further out on the arm. You've got it backwards.

As for the larger question; whether it's a good thing or not that Majid spews nonsense with such regularity, who can say. Jay's probably right, it's almost always a bad thing. But on the other hand it's something to watch during otherwise dead times on this site.

And if Majid is actually some kind of Dingus alternate personality, then at the very least, some kind of grudging respect for the master-troll must be due.

GO

majid_sabet

Mar 18, 2008, 8:58 PM
Post #195 of 234 (7963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trench

I am saying that, small modification to current pin-hook on some carabineers may reduce the biner failure during typical climber's fall.

An open gate biner looses over 2/3 of it’s overall strength during a fall. That is not 10% or 30% reduction but over 60%. That makes a big different in having a climber live after a typical fall up or let his family deal with his funeral over the $6.00 biner.

Loosing 60% of biner overall strength due to an open gate is not a small change that we should just accept and sleep with it.

That is my message.

trenchdigger

Mar 18, 2008, 9:11 PM
Post #196 of 234 (7951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
trench

I am saying that, small modification to current pin-hook on some carabineers may reduce the biner failure during typical climber's fall.

An open gate biner looses over 2/3 of it’s overall strength during a fall. That is not 10% or 30% reduction but over 60%. That makes a big different in having a climber live after a typical fall up or let his family deal with his funeral over the $6.00 biner.

Loosing 60% of biner overall strength due to an open gate is not a small change that we should just accept and sleep with it.

That is my message.

That directly contradicts your message earlier in this thread:
majid_sabet wrote:
The way I see it, the pin and the little hook do nothing. Basically, they are both worthless and I am pretty confident that, this is the biggest Screw-up in the history of climbing gear design and yet, manufactures are still making them with the same problem

The pin does not interlock with the hook under tension period. If the hook is there to stop the gate from bending backward (extend travel) then they could just cut the notch and keep the hook straight like a regular Chinese key chain biners .

So which is it?

chilli

Mar 18, 2008, 9:15 PM
Post #197 of 234 (7948 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Theoretically, when a climber falls, his biners are attached to a protection of some sort that has less than 5 mm in diameter (bolt hanger 3mm. cams, 3-5 mm, nut, 2-4 mm, hex, 3-6 mm….etc) and a rope which under massive tension( fall factor) becomes half of its original diameter.

When was the last time you clipped in to a 12 mm bolt hanger or a 10 mm cam?

:heh: true majid, not too many 12mm hangers out there. but that brings me back to the other point i made: in the tests, the link on the bottom (pin side) in the videos slid toward the gate as soon as the biner started to warp. this is part of the reason that i think, even with smaller diameters you'd see similar results. but like i said before, please test it and let us know. at least i would be curious to see if it turned out differently (which i highly doubt).

plus, (and i may be wrong here) every time i recall seeing a rope bend over a biner under weight, despite the reduction in the overall diameter, the area of contact flattens a little bit as it bends over the biner, thus not leading to such a great reduction of size. now i don't know the physics of it, but unless some fractional portion of the diameter of the rope that has flattened a bit over the biner is holding ALL the force (nestled right against the spine), it would seem that it constitutes a larger distribution than a mere 3-5mm. and that rope is typically on the end of the biner which has the pin/hook side of the gate -not the hinge (at least when i clip in). this leads me to believe maybe those links aren't the sin we're accusing them of being. but like i said, test it, and let us know if you get different results.

chilli

Mar 18, 2008, 9:20 PM
Post #198 of 234 (7943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
chilli wrote:
theoretically i see what majid is getting at in that the larger diameter, despite the very small surface area contact, would push that contact a little farther away from the spine.

This will only occur if the inner radius of the bend of the carabiner is smaller than the radius of the rod used to pull on the carabiner. Otherwise, the 10mm pin will contact the carabiner exactly where the 5mm pin will.

You won't find many (if any) carabiners with a bend radius smaller than the radius of the largest rope you'd expect to use with that carabiner. Such a bend would tend to pinch the rope and bind.

good point, trench. i hadn't taken that into account. i'm gettin educated here. :)

majid: now i feel kind of bad like i'm picking on you here, but your statements DO seem to contradict themselves as far as the usefulness of the gate is concerned... clarification?

gunkiemike

Mar 18, 2008, 9:55 PM
Post #199 of 234 (7929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
more stuff here

Hey everybody - in case you missed it, we're focusing on gate flutter now!

Let's see how long it takes for MS to step in sh:t with this new line of mis-reasoning.

gunkiemike

Mar 18, 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #200 of 234 (7912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

5 mm is the industry's standard used by most mfgs .

Well that UIAA standard (12 mm pins) showed up awful fast in response. (Thanks, Marde)

So tell us Majid, what climbing industry standard that pertains to biner strength rating were YOU referring to?

Don't forget to post a link to the publication.

We're waiting...

I think they call your disorder "pathological bullshitting".

GO, thanks for bringing that Break-O-Tron video into the discussion. It's amazing how dramatically the bucket end of the biner narrows under load. That's totally contrary to MS's initial assertion, of course, but we're so far past all that now.

Moderator - can we lock this thread now? Please?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook