RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

mindlessroller21

Mar 19, 2008, 1:13 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1194 views)
Shortcut

Painful tips
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been climbing for a year now and just recently I have been having a lot of problem with the skin on my tips. When I climb i feel like im in unbearable within an hour of climbing. I always heard that as i kept climbing the skin on my tips would get thicker and that the pain would go away so it really sucks to have the problem getting worse.

The only cause i can think of is that i did a bouldering series comp and climbed to the limit of my fingers three weekends straight.

Anyway if anyone has any ideas for getting my tips back in shape it would be appreciated.

GeneralBenson

Mar 19, 2008, 2:01 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mindlessroller21] Painful tips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Umm... rest? Skin doesn't heal or get tougher if you keep thrashing it endlessly.

overlord

Mar 19, 2008, 9:02 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralBenson] Painful tips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, you could try rubbing them with garlic after climbing. i dont know why, but it helps.

i also found that some balm that helps regenerate the skin helps a bit. i personally use bepanthen (bought it after getting a tattoo and i tried it once, it helped so i stick with it).

rat-baby

Mar 19, 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep your tips moist as possible when not climbin. Slathering your fingers in vitamin E as well as eating it will help... My fingers used to burn like hell at night and in the morning they hurt to touch together but the E thing helped with that. The E will help you go for a few minutes longer, but the real trick is Ibuprofen. Take a couple before you start climbing and then few more after you've been rolling for a while. It works so good that when it wears off you'll understand about burn!

fatoomchk

Mar 19, 2008, 1:07 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1128 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rat-baby] Painful tips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Be careful with Ibuprofen. It's not for everyone. Make sure you understand the possible side effects before taking it even semi-regularly.

A close friend of mine suffered a nasty bout of colitis as a direct result of taking ibuprofen (according to his doctor anyway). Ibuprofen is not as benign as many people think.

phUnk

Mar 19, 2008, 5:11 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rat-baby wrote:
The E will help you go for a few minutes longer, but the real trick is Ibuprofen. Take a couple before you start climbing and then few more after you've been rolling for a while.
That's terrible advice. All you're doing is masking the pain while doing more damage.

Does that sound like a good long-term solution? (Hint: No.)

To the OP: Are you shredding/losing a lot of skin while climbing because you're falling off holds? Attempting hard, low-percentage moves on sharp holds/rock is going to cost you skin if you slide off the hold with a lot of weight on that hand. You'll probably need to feel out when a move is not going to stick, and learn to let go and get the weight off that hand before it slides off.

irregularpanda

Mar 19, 2008, 5:36 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fatoomchk] Painful tips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fatoomchk wrote:
Be careful with Ibuprofen. It's not for everyone. Make sure you understand the possible side effects before taking it even semi-regularly.

A close friend of mine suffered a nasty bout of colitis as a direct result of taking ibuprofen (according to his doctor anyway). Ibuprofen is not as benign as many people think.

If you take it, just eat food first...
And, you've only been climbing a year, I remember when my fingers hurt my buddies would look at me and say "pain is the feeling weakness makes while it leaves your body."

Climbing hurts. While thrashing your fingertips, your skin will grow back thicker and make calluses. In the meantime, climbing hurts.

fatoomchk

Mar 19, 2008, 6:36 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Painful tips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
fatoomchk wrote:

If you take it, just eat food first... *snip*

*snip*In the meantime, climbing hurts.

My friend alway ate first. It doesn't mean you are immune to side effects.

But yes... climbing hurts....

rat-baby

Mar 20, 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #9 of 12 (978 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phUnk] Painful tips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's terrible advice, eh? We're talking about shredded tips here, not some kind of injury you should be resting from. As for growing calluses, ya, good luck buddy. Maybe if your a gym rat. I climb a lot on gneiss and that shit shreds the fingers, craters, blood blisters, bruising, flappers, you name it. So you can take phunk's advice and not try when climbing, or the other advice and go with out the I and not be able to try after an hour or so, or when you know it's going to be a bad day take some vitamin I.
At the least you should check out the vitamin E, it takes some time, but it helps. I got a balm made from E, bee wax and olive oil thats amazing. I think a big part with the painful tips, especially when on for two or more days, is that your hands dry out and become less pliable, they just rip and tear instead of give and take. Good luck with the pain, as long as your trying their goin to hurt!

nstearns

Mar 24, 2008, 3:33 AM
Post #10 of 12 (934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rest and some thing like a vitamin E ointment are the best advice so far. If you're willing to pay a little extra, look into the Joshua Tree Salve it has some extra stuff in it like tea tree oil. I've used it a couple of times and it's made a huge difference, even with blood blisters on the pads of my fingers.

Hennessey

Mar 25, 2008, 2:37 AM
Post #11 of 12 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most importantly rest will play a huge factor in the healing process. You should try CLIMB ON! BAR. It's a moisturizer that comes in a little metal tin. Works for me.

kyleshea

Mar 25, 2008, 1:26 PM
Post #12 of 12 (831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rat-baby wrote:
Keep your tips moist as possible when not climbin. Slathering your fingers in vitamin E as well as eating it will help... My fingers used to burn like hell at night and in the morning they hurt to touch together but the E thing helped with that. The E will help you go for a few minutes longer, but the real trick is Ibuprofen. Take a couple before you start climbing and then few more after you've been rolling for a while. It works so good that when it wears off you'll understand about burn!

i actually keep my hands dry when not climbin. use vit e occasionally. topical vit e should werk, but ingested pills are questionable for skin regeneration. i boulder three times a week most weeks, outdoors generally, on skin un-friendly rock (diabase). my fingers peel a bit, but i never get flappers from teh dryNES. and many days, especially when its cool, i try hard for my abilities. just providing another perspective, not sayin anyone else is wrong. also i learned from a guy that preparation H werks well for fingertip pain. y'all know you have a tube layin around.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook