RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

buttets

Oct 27, 2002, 1:38 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2091 views)
Shortcut

What's the Best Way to Camp
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Was wondering what is the best (?) way to camp at a climbing area, i.e. during a vacation???

I feel it is by truck with a camper on the back. That way you will have a place to wait out inclement weather with friends and still be able to cook, stay warm, read, whatever your heart desires!!!

I feel sorry for those stuck in a tent, cold and miserable.... you poor fools

Ok, so what is the best way to car camp and be cheap, i.e. no motels or hotels...

munckee

Oct 27, 2002, 2:38 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2091 views)
Shortcut

What's the Best Way to Camp [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've always camped in a tent with no problem at all. It takes very little time to set up, offers a place to sit out the rain just like you said. You still have the car to store gear and food, etc, so the tent actually offers a little extra space unless you happen to have a car big enough that the extra space isn't important.

apollodorus

Oct 27, 2002, 3:33 AM
Post #3 of 12 (2091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're in Yosemite Valley, go to the Zodiac turn-out, walk up the trail towards El Cap about 200 yards until you see a huge rock with a flat underside about five feet off the ground. Camp there. Don't build a fire and wake up early to avoid the rangers.

coclimber26

Oct 27, 2002, 3:50 AM
Post #4 of 12 (2091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tent, bag, good book and a six pack, can't beat it...

Partner one900johnnyk

Oct 27, 2002, 4:53 AM
Post #5 of 12 (2091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

truck camping is everything that's wrong with the world today. buy a tent!

spoon

Oct 27, 2002, 5:58 AM
Post #6 of 12 (2091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're hauling everything around in a truck anyway, you don't have to worry about weight that much, so you can buy a pretty spacious bomb proof tent. If you have a good tent, it's not nearly as cramped or stuffy as a truck, and rain is not a problem, plus you saved a bunch of space in your truck that you would normaly be sleeping in.

mtnsprts

Oct 27, 2002, 6:08 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have always camped in a tent. It meets all of my needs and is functional, simple and easy to set up. I think the camper might be kind of fun, but, I just don't like the idea of hauling that many ammenities with me....I feel it takes the fun and challenge out of camping.

- just one man's opinion -

pordxdica

Oct 27, 2002, 6:17 AM
Post #8 of 12 (2091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tent. or tarp. Tarps are really great if you plan on hiking for several days. Then again, coleman makes really nice one man tents that weigh less than 5 pounds. Can't beat a 5 man tent either. I'd rather sleep in a tent or under a tarp than to sleep in my car. Makes it kinda pointless to go camping?

boneware

Oct 27, 2002, 9:49 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a pick up with a built in plywood frame in the back, i store everything i own under it a little on top and if i absolutly have to (need to catch a couple hours of sleep, crashing somewhere i am not supposed to and might need to leave quickly sleep in the back) otherwise i have a nice big 5-6 person tent i got at costco that i live in, i don't really care if it sits in the sun all day and even though it isn't the most weather proof, tossing an extra tarp over it makes it pretty bomb proof. it has lasted me 2 years with about 4-6 months a year in it and is still in pretty good shape. i have a backpacking tent that i use when weight is an issue but i am always amazed when i see 400+ dollar North face and MT hardware tents sitting all day in the sun in J tree and red rocks for weeks on end.
thats just my take. my truck is so set up thought that it dosen't really lack much from a camper exept that it is much smaller and i still have lots of clearance.

Partner camhead

Oct 27, 2002, 9:59 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

since camping and beer usually go hand in hand, I mostly wind up just crashing out on my boulder pad in the back of my landcruiser. If i ever get the inclination I may restore the 1970s era camping trailer that I've got, but it almost seems more trouble than it's worth.

As for backpacking– this is rockclimbing.com, not backpacking.com...

meshuga3

Oct 27, 2002, 11:10 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an extened GMC van. It's a hotel on wheels, and it lets me sleep for free anywhere I can pull in for the night.

apollodorus

Oct 27, 2002, 11:31 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For truck and shell (T&S) camping in Yosemite Valley, here's a tip: use curtains and DON'T respond when the rangers pound on the roof to arouse and fine you. Just pretend you didn't hear them, and make sure they can't hear you. Rangers will pound on camper shells and the like, without knowing if anyone is inside, sort of like the Jehovah Witnesses. If you respond, they've gotcha.

Legally, the Rangers can break into your vehicle if they "believe the occupant inside is suffering a medical emergency (e.g. heart attack)", so if they can see you and you don't respond, well . . . .

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook