RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

kane_schutzman

Sep 21, 2007, 3:58 AM
Post #1 of 24 (3030 views)
Shortcut

Best Dallas Climbing Gym?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Going back south for a month, can anyone reccommend a climbing gym in Dallas? Looking for something that a new climber would like. Preferably with the tallest walls I can get?
Thanks

kane_schutzman

Sep 21, 2007, 4:19 AM
Post #2 of 24 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kane_schutzman] Best Dallas Climbing Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Better yet, is there any real rock in the area?

mircle

Sep 21, 2007, 2:50 PM
Post #3 of 24 (3014 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

closet real rock is in in Mineral Wells State Park near Weatherford. Depending on where you'll be this may not be too long of a drive. On the other hand you may be closer to Oklahoma!

I've only been to a couple gyms in Dallas. I know of a place called the Canyons of Frisco that is very beginner friendly. They also have an artificial boulder inside which fun for a simulated rock experience.

Where exactly are you in Dallas? That would make it easier to find a gym.

fencipede

Sep 21, 2007, 9:35 PM
Post #4 of 24 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're looking for the tallest indoor walls in Dallas, then Stoneworks is your best bet. It's an old grain elevator. Tallest stuff is something like 120 feet high.

I've heard that they don't change their routes very often, but its been plenty fun the couple times I've gone.

http://www.stoneworksrockgym.com/

Outdoor, Mineral Wells State Park (top rope only and bouldering) is the only thing close right now. Everything else is on private land and is currently closed.

nunu

Oct 3, 2007, 3:50 PM
Post #5 of 24 (2949 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fencipede] Best Dallas Climbing Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone on this thread currently in Dallas? I just moved to Dallas and I'm looking for climbing partners. PM me if you would belay me :)

JohnCook

Oct 14, 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #6 of 24 (2916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try Dyno-rock in Front Street Arlington (www.dynorock.com). Its not high (30ft) but it has lots of frequently changed routes and bouldering. The staff are friendly and if you are alone you can usually find someone to climb/belay with. There are a lot of lone (not sad) climbers in there. Good luck with your stay.
In reply to:

Lexi

Oct 15, 2007, 2:50 AM
Post #7 of 24 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there are currently 5 gyms in the metroplex with another one on the way (i'm not sure exactly when it'll be finished, but it'll be soon) and it'll be close to downtown dallas.
if you're in arlington, there is dynorock (located in central arlington) their routes are great technically (approximatley 24' walls) and they have a bouldering area. oldschool type gym (plywood walls painted over).
if you're in the grapevine area, summit (by d/fw airport) 25' walls, eldorado walls.
if you're in the carrolton area there are 2: stoneworks has the tallest routes (121'-30') but there is no heat or air so plan the trip there accordingly. old converted grain silo so the walls are cement.
then there is exposure, their routes are probably the best technical routes around and they have some great beginner routes they also have a bouldering area. the walls are oldschool.
canyons of frisco is in the far north area of the metroplex. 24' eldorado walls with a simulated rock boulder.
don't go to the gyms on tuesday or thursday until after 7pm because the kids teams are working out, except at summit and i think their kid's teams work out on monday/wednesday.
personally, i split my gym-time between exposure (for the technically challenging routes) and stoneworks for the endurance training and i live close to both :~)
if you want more info on them you can pm me.
lex

shimmer

Oct 15, 2007, 9:05 PM
Post #8 of 24 (2900 views)
Shortcut

Dallas Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you don't mind the 'daycare' like atmosphere, Summit can be a lot of fun, but it's REALLY crowded, everytime I've ever gone it's been rather loud with little kids running everywhere.
DR in Arlington is pretty much swarmed on Tue/Thur by the climbing team, as was previously mentioned. Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat night and Sun evening are all good times to climb there.

Jaylen

Oct 19, 2007, 8:27 PM
Post #9 of 24 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimmer] Dallas Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

last time i was at summit, their gear was scary. like, the outter layers of the rope sheath were detaching from the core. i didn't love that. but that was like 2 months ago... maybe its changed... go to stoneworks.

fivesix

Oct 21, 2007, 8:34 PM
Post #10 of 24 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jaylen] Dallas Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i was there last december, and i had the same problem... i did not like the lead ropes at all and asked for another, to which i think the staff went in the back, re-flaked it and handed it back to me! needless to say i did one lead and went home!

the silo gyms ropes are not any better. the length of rope that is out makes it difficult to detect issues with the rope, which i found many... their ropes look very old!

FYI...

ps: i manage a gym myself, i'm not dissing these gyms, thats not why im posting. just letting other know what i think... food for thought!

Lexi

Oct 22, 2007, 2:39 AM
Post #11 of 24 (2815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fivesix] Dallas Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stoneworks has new owners and all the ropes have been changed out, however, there isn't any climbing in the patio area anymore. DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) owns the land the patio is on and they won't let us climb out there anymoreMad

shimmer

Oct 23, 2007, 3:33 PM
Post #12 of 24 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jaylen wrote:
last time i was at summit, their gear was scary. like, the outter layers of the rope sheath were detaching from the core. i didn't love that. but that was like 2 months ago... maybe its changed... go to stoneworks.
I haven't been to Summit since August, and even then I didn't use any of the ropes. There are WAY too many kids running around there for my taste.
I've never climbed at Stoneworks, Exposure, or the Canyons. Everything I've done (other than my two trips to Summit) has been at Dyno-Rock.

dreadlock

Oct 23, 2007, 5:18 PM
Post #13 of 24 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimmer] Dallas Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For most of the gyms in the DFW area if they didn't cater to the kids, families and big groups they would go under and there would be no gyms there. That's their bread and butter. I used to live there and the dynamic is so different then here. Here it is almost all adults in the gyms.

As to ropes I think all gyms do their best to quickly remove any ropes that have gone bad, especially when the sheath gets torn. It happens at all gyms, ropes get caught on a hold when lowering, rub over a roof, etc.

Jaylen

Oct 24, 2007, 2:38 AM
Post #14 of 24 (2791 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreadlock] Dallas Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think rope safety, including quality, should be the number one priority in any gym. I won't climb outdoors with a rope that I don't know how many falls its taken, or one that the sheath is seperating from the core. I don't know ANY climber that does.

Yeah, a family atmosphere is great for gyms and their success. And I think everyone on here understands that, I plan on one day draggin my annoying kids to gyms as well.... however... there is nothing like being able to totally zone out, focus and climb, like you're the only one there... like being in nature, and 5 ten year olds jumping off the auto-belay for fun kind of kills that.

summittim

Oct 24, 2007, 11:48 PM
Post #15 of 24 (2773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is Tim, the owner of Summit. We regularly inspect and change our ropes out for the safety of our customers. In the last 2-3 months, we have replaced almost every top rope in the gym. If you ever have a concern about any of our equipment, please mention something to the manager on duty. We appreciate everyone in the climbing community looking out for each other.

summittim

Oct 24, 2007, 11:50 PM
Post #16 of 24 (2772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lexi] Best Dallas Climbing Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One clarification: the walls at Summit are 30' high.Smile

Jaylen

Oct 25, 2007, 7:37 PM
Post #17 of 24 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summittim] Best Dallas Climbing Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well tim i appreciate that.

scottieb

Oct 26, 2007, 2:30 AM
Post #18 of 24 (2745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jaylen] Best Dallas Climbing Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love climbing at Summit when I come through town. I guess I am too into my climbing and do not noticing the kids so much. Nice, clean, good long routes.

Jaylen

Nov 18, 2007, 3:44 AM
Post #19 of 24 (2596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summittim] Dallas Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just revisited summit... it was a great experience. Very low key kids and all new ropes. Thanks summit.

avid_climber

Jan 18, 2008, 12:55 AM
Post #20 of 24 (2442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone fallen to the mat while climbing @ Summit? I would like to hear about it. Please respond to Avid_climber@yahoo.com

jdonnell

Jan 18, 2008, 3:34 PM
Post #21 of 24 (2427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [avid_climber] Best Dallas Climbing Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

avid_climber wrote:
Has anyone fallen to the mat while climbing @ Summit?

Yeah. That's why I don't climb there anymore. It seemed like every time I fell I'd hit the mat. Man those boulder problems are tough.

dwyermj

Mar 18, 2008, 2:54 AM
Post #22 of 24 (2211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nunu] Best Dallas Climbing Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anybody in Dallas looking for a partner? Just moved here haven't climbed in a while I live right down the street from exposure and they have a deal going on right now so I'd like that but I'd be up for anything

dbcooper

Mar 19, 2008, 4:29 AM
Post #23 of 24 (2166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out a new gym that just opened 2 days ago in Dallas, called Dallas Rocks! www.dallasclimbing.com There are 14 and 16 ft. top-out bouldering and the problems are freaking rad. We have nationally certified setters on staff, one of which sets for a lot of the major comps through-out the U.S. This place is huge. More drag mats then you can shake a stick at. From what I can tell we also have the largest lead cave in the state. The angles are crazy and this place is flippin' huge. 14,000 sqf. of climbing surface split almost 50/50 between bouldering and routes. The gym is owned and operated by a local climber, and has a low bro factor. We have discounted all of our memberships and extended the discount through the end of the month. All the gyms mentioned in this thread are great gyms and they each have some good things to offer. We just want y'all to come in and check us out and then let you decide for yourself where you would like to climb. Thanks. Happy crushing

calpiger

Apr 6, 2008, 9:14 PM
Post #24 of 24 (1918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dwyermj] Best Dallas Climbing Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb at Dyno Rock and Exposure. I kind of live in Colorado right now, but I am home every month and will be back in town this weekend (April 10-13) if you are interested in climbing.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook