RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

breaksteel

Apr 1, 2008, 12:03 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Camp Mini Tricams
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone managed to get one or both of the new mini tri-cams yet? I ordered some earlier this month and they still have not shipped. The ship date has been pushed back for the third time. I'm ready to cancel my order and look elsewhere if someone has managed to find them.

mushroomsamba

Apr 1, 2008, 12:20 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [breaksteel] Camp Mini Tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I keep checking the EMS by my house and I dont have much luck either. Cant wait for them to come out though Tongue

hafilax

Apr 1, 2008, 12:27 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mushroomsamba] Camp Mini Tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I fondled the .25 at REI in Seattle. My fingers are too big to place them easily. I don't think I'll be buying either. Love the pink though.

Arrogant_Bastard

Apr 1, 2008, 3:47 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Camp Mini Tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
I fondled the .25 at REI in Seattle. My fingers are too big to place them easily. I don't think I'll be buying either. Love the pink though.

That was my take on it. I'm not to excited about the strength rating either. I think I'll just plug a TCU instead.

unbreakablesoul

Apr 2, 2008, 6:26 PM
Post #5 of 9 (920 views)
Shortcut

Re: [breaksteel] Camp Mini Tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Got mine. I only ordered the black one for strength reasons and got it from rei.com and received it within a week.

It's definately WAY smaller than the pink. I don't think that finger size will be that much of an issue for placing them though. In my experience with tricams I fish around for the placement that they want, I don't normally try to hold the whole thing to place it.

I'll be trying it out this weekend and let you know how it feels when trying to place.

hafilax

Apr 2, 2008, 8:21 PM
Post #6 of 9 (836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unbreakablesoul] Camp Mini Tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's more of an issue of getting them out. The easiest way to clean a tricam is to twist it to release the grip on the rock. If you can't get your fingers in there you'll have to use a nut tool and then you'll have to fish it out. It's like a chinese finger trap and will often take 2 hands. If your team has small fingers they could be great.

There's been a call for them. People have filed down the pink to make a smaller version for some routes. Could be a great aid piece but of limited use in free climbing IMO (which some argue is true of all tricams).

the_climber

Apr 2, 2008, 8:59 PM
Post #7 of 9 (805 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
It's more of an issue of getting them out. The easiest way to clean a tricam is to twist it to release the grip on the rock. If you can't get your fingers in there you'll have to use a nut tool and then you'll have to fish it out. It's like a chinese finger trap and will often take 2 hands. If your team has small fingers they could be great.

There's been a call for them. People have filed down the pink to make a smaller version for some routes. Could be a great aid piece but of limited use in free climbing IMO (which some argue is true of all tricams).

For those who don't have much experiance with tricam, sure you could use 2 hands.

For those who use them regularly, you learn how to clean them with great ease, single handed.

hafilax

Apr 2, 2008, 9:03 PM
Post #8 of 9 (792 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Camp Mini Tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You missed my point. It's easy to clean pink and up one handed because you can get your fingers in there. The black is smaller than the width of my thumb so it will be significantly more difficult. YMMV

the_climber

Apr 2, 2008, 9:21 PM
Post #9 of 9 (758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb with filed down pink tricams that are already about the same size as the new 0.25

I also climbed for over a decade with no cam smaller than a #1 Friend, using tricams instead as a personal preference (I had many parters with small cams I could use if I wanted too). Cleaning tricams is a different skill just like cleaning micro-nuts is different than cleaning cams, or hexes.

If you have the concept and mechanics down it's easy, no matter the size of the tricam.

If someone can clean a stuborn nut on a difficult pitch they can clean any tricam just as fast, in the same amount of time (or less).

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook