Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

onceahardman

Apr 1, 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #76 of 124 (2432 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can chalk up without falling out of the ass-jam I've engaged myself in

WAAAAH!!!

If the crack is big enough to fit your ass, you shouldn't need chalk anyway.

actually, I really don't care what you do with your chalk bag. I just find it odd that using a biner should bother anybody...pretty jive pet peeve.

Retro-bolting somebody else's bold route, now THAT is a worthy pet-peeve.

rhythm164

Apr 1, 2008, 11:32 PM
Post #77 of 124 (2429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bet you're wrong dickcheese, and don't tell me to get over it, the thread is about climbing pet peeves, put your bifocals on.

here I'll list another one: people that think that just because they've been doing something for over 30 years no one should say anything about it.

oh, and people that use the adjective 'jive'

onceahardman wrote:
rhythm164 wrote:
trad, sport, whatever, it still makes me nuts

onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:
clipping your chalkbag to your haul loop with a carabiner

In reply to:
I always do that. Often I climb things that are not in the guidebook, and run pitches together. Several times, I have been glad to have that biner, so I could finish building a solid anchor.

You should just get over it. I've been doing that over 30 years. I'd bet you don't do many long remote climbs. I bet you boulder and sport.

Otherwise, it sucks to be you, if you're climbing where I am.

(This post was edited by rhythm164 on Apr 1, 2008, 11:38 PM)

bonin_in_the_boneyard

Apr 1, 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #78 of 124 (2415 views)
Shortcut

Re: What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After the first two pitches I can't pick my nose again until I either wash my hands or spend the night on the wall and wake up too dirty all over to care about cleanliness of my nostrils.

petsfed

Apr 1, 2008, 11:50 PM
Post #79 of 124 (2413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:

WAAAAH!!!

actually, I really don't care what you do with your chalk bag. I just find it odd that using a biner should bother anybody...pretty jive pet peeve.

Heheheh. That's just funny. I know of a 5.6 that involves crimps on feldspar crystals to pull you out of the offwidth. Chalk is kind of crucial on a hot day after you've been alligator wrestling to get to that point. Don't get me started on the truly hard offwidths that involve face holds (Lucille, most famously, has a crimp at the very end of the crux, but I haven't the skill for that level of climbing) to make them go at a more reasonable grade.

I'm no hard man, but I've been glad for a mobile chalk bag on more occasions than I care to think about.

Try again.

(This post was edited by petsfed on Apr 1, 2008, 11:53 PM)

onceahardman

Apr 2, 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #80 of 124 (2397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AHHH the namecaller, last bastion of those who have no cogent argument...

In reply to:
people that think that just because they've been doing something for over 30 years no one should say anything about it.

I don't really care if you say anything about it, I just think it's kind of sad that something so petty bothers you so.

onceahardman

Apr 2, 2008, 12:08 AM
Post #81 of 124 (2396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've been glad for a mobile chalk bag on more occasions than I care to think about.

Thanks for getting the joke. I'm glad your system works for you.

tolman_paul

Apr 2, 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #82 of 124 (2389 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hershelgibbs] What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hershelgibbs wrote:
I was interested what pissed people off about climbing. What are your climbing pet peeves?

The biggest pet peeve for me is seeing people brush off easy indoor holds with a toothbrush or a wire brush.

The other day I was doing some indoor bouldering and this chick started brushing off a JUG!!!
I kind of understand when someone is brushing off a hard sloper with alot of chalk on it, but this was a bit over the top. The problem couldn't have been harder than a V2.

People that use bright colored webbing at rap stations. Black, brown, grey, white, all have much lower visual impact and the same cost as red, green, orange, yellow, blue etc.

Double pet peeve would be removing manky bolts at a rap station, putting in welded cold shuts, and finding some wanker put brigth red webbing through the cold shuts.

jajen

Apr 2, 2008, 12:33 AM
Post #83 of 124 (2377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
ajkclay wrote:
billl7 wrote:
Climbers who think it was a bonafide epic if you had to put on headlamps.Cool

Depends on where you are and how many headlamps you have ;) Try staying calm at Moonarie on a big sand-bagged (or normal Moon route) when there's 3 of you, two headlamps and not one for the leader because you won't be able to send it back down to the climbers who are really going to need it.

The thing that has annoyed me most was on my last trip to Araps; There were these folks somewhere in a gully who had music playing from speakers at the base of the route they were doing in a group of 5.

At Arapiles! Come on! It's not the friggin' gym, it's a bloody multipitch trad-climbing haven!

It's more epic if you never put the lamp on, because you forgot it, or it's dead.

Copy that!!!

Hennessey

Apr 2, 2008, 12:43 AM
Post #84 of 124 (2369 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People who talk about it, but don't be about it.

cologman

Apr 2, 2008, 1:25 AM
Post #85 of 124 (2353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No pun intended, plain and simple dogs at the cragsMad

birdog

Apr 2, 2008, 1:38 AM
Post #86 of 124 (2349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i heard a climber from austin who goes by fracture, has been slammin some old schoolers on this post.some locals in austin e-mailed me and told me about it. this person is the exception , not the rule of texas climbers.most are knowledgeable, non-consuming about themselves and overall, respectful of those who have been before sport routes, pre placed pro , and pre-clipped routes.this is the type of shat that pisses me off. he's been climbing about 5 years, climbes hard, pre-clipped limestone, but wants to talk about it rather than just enjoy it.get off the intraweb and go outside!! I've invited him to do some soloes on some 5.9-5.10 cracks, as well as asking him to meet me in the parking lot of my local granite crag ,to discuss his lack of respect to the ones before him, but he declined.he informed me that if I touched him , that I would be hearing from his lawyer,( his father ), in no uncertain terms. I have been climbing for 21 years, been guiding since 1992, and i have put up numerous routes in texas as well as the potrero, and i must say, his lack of respect for some of my fellow climbers around the country annoys me. I hope not all climbers from texas are judged by his threads. climb on, birdog

benelsie

Apr 2, 2008, 1:47 AM
Post #87 of 124 (2339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [birdog] What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...People who talk about "the climbing community"

shockabuku

Apr 2, 2008, 2:34 AM
Post #88 of 124 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Re: [birdog] What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

birdog wrote:
i heard a climber from austin who goes by fracture, has been slammin some old schoolers on this post.some locals in austin e-mailed me and told me about it. this person is the exception , not the rule of texas climbers.most are knowledgeable, non-consuming about themselves and overall, respectful of those who have been before sport routes, pre placed pro , and pre-clipped routes.this is the type of shat that pisses me off. he's been climbing about 5 years, climbes hard, pre-clipped limestone, but wants to talk about it rather than just enjoy it.get off the intraweb and go outside!! I've invited him to do some soloes on some 5.9-5.10 cracks, as well as asking him to meet me in the parking lot of my local granite crag ,to discuss his lack of respect to the ones before him, but he declined.he informed me that if I touched him , that I would be hearing from his lawyer,( his father ), in no uncertain terms. I have been climbing for 21 years, been guiding since 1992, and i have put up numerous routes in texas as well as the potrero, and i must say, his lack of respect for some of my fellow climbers around the country annoys me. I hope not all climbers from texas are judged by his threads. climb on, birdog

People who go off badmouthing other people over hearsay.

rhythm164

Apr 2, 2008, 2:55 AM
Post #89 of 124 (2311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll remember to get your ok next time something bothers me, and I might think that one who assumes to know anothers prefered climbing style based only fact that they're annoyed by a swinging chalkbag might be worse than a namecaller, zing by the way.

and I stand by my dickcheese comment

onceahardman wrote:
AHHH the namecaller, last bastion of those who have no cogent argument...
In reply to:

(This post was edited by rhythm164 on Apr 2, 2008, 3:01 AM)

caliclimbergrl

Apr 2, 2008, 3:18 AM
Post #90 of 124 (2300 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My biggest pet peeve is when a huge group comes to a crag, sets up a bunch of top ropes all all the stared climbs, and then just leaves their ropes hanging there all freaking day with no one climbing on them!! And then when you ask them how long they're going to be on the route, they tell you you're welcome to use their rope to TR on. It doesn't occur to them that you might want to lead the climb. Plus, I don't necessarily trust some random strangers to set up a safe top rope. Be considerate, be efficient, and clean routes when you're not using them!

A recent pet peeve that I've developed lately is when lead climbers on trad don't put in protection for their second on traverses. It's fine if you feel safe, but as a second, you'll take as big of a pendulum swing in a traverse as a leader would and I think it's just inconsiderate not to protect a traverse.

knieveltech

Apr 2, 2008, 4:22 AM
Post #91 of 124 (2273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:

WAAAAH!!!

Heheheh. That's just funny. I know of a 5.6 that involves crimps on feldspar crystals to pull you out of the offwidth. Chalk is kind of crucial on a hot day after you've been alligator wrestling to get to that point. Don't get me started on the truly hard offwidths that involve face holds (Lucille, most famously, has a crimp at the very end of the crux, but I haven't the skill for that level of climbing) to make them go at a more reasonable grade.

I'm no hard man, but I've been glad for a mobile chalk bag on more occasions than I care to think about.

Try again.

Another cool thing about having your chalk bag on a strap: you can turn it around backwards and wear it like a loin cloth. On a hot day, just plop your junk in there and BANG! Say goodbye to nut sweat.

dingus

Apr 2, 2008, 4:31 AM
Post #92 of 124 (2271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
Another cool thing about having your chalk bag on a strap: you can turn it around backwards and wear it like a loin cloth. On a hot day, just plop your junk in there and BANG! Say goodbye to nut sweat.

That works on a cold day too, assuming shrinkage doesn't leave you a bit, um, short?

You ladies know about shrinkage right?

"Damn these new chalk bags are COLD!"

"Mmmmm Hmmmm. Deep too!"

DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Apr 2, 2008, 4:32 AM)

ClusterFock

Apr 2, 2008, 5:11 AM
Post #93 of 124 (2260 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caliclimbergrl] What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caliclimbergrl wrote:
A recent pet peeve that I've developed lately is when lead climbers on trad don't put in protection for their second on traverses. It's fine if you feel safe, but as a second, you'll take as big of a pendulum swing in a traverse as a leader would and I think it's just inconsiderate not to protect a traverse.

Yeah this happened to me about a month back. I was seconding the climb on a 15-20 metre traverse. On the crux there was only two pieces of gear between me and the leaders belay station. Even worse, one of the pieces of gear walked out as I did the crux move. Scared the fucking shit out of me...but ahwell, I wasn't at serious risk of injury if I took the fall so it wasn't too peeved.
I guess it just added to the intenisty of the climb.

shimanilami

Apr 2, 2008, 5:34 AM
Post #94 of 124 (2247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
knieveltech wrote:

That works on a cold day too, assuming shrinkage doesn't leave you a bit, um, short?

You ladies know about shrinkage right?

"Damn these new chalk bags are COLD!"

"Mmmmm Hmmmm. Deep too!"

DMT

What do you think hand warmers are for, Dingus?

onceahardman

Apr 2, 2008, 11:40 AM
Post #95 of 124 (2213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Say goodbye to nut sweat.

Great! How does it work on dick cheese? Apparently, Rhythm164 has become aware of my problem. How did he find THAT out?

rhythm164

Apr 2, 2008, 11:44 AM
Post #96 of 124 (2208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:
Say goodbye to nut sweat.

Great! How does it work on dick cheese? Apparently, Rhythm164 has become aware of my problem. How did he find THAT out?

you tube

bizarrodrinker

Apr 2, 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #97 of 124 (2202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caliclimbergrl] What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caliclimbergrl wrote:
My biggest pet peeve is when people come to a crag

well saidWink

onceahardman

Apr 2, 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #98 of 124 (2202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

surfing for "dick cheese" videos?

bizarrodrinker

Apr 2, 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #99 of 124 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And if people insist on going to the crag (which they do)...the playing of Marco Polo at the crag...WTF is that shit?

Partner cracklover

Apr 2, 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #100 of 124 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krosbakken] What are your climbing pet peeves? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

krosbakken wrote:
When someone in a gym is talking to you like they know more than you about climbing (just general stuff ), and they are gym rats that have never seen or felt outside rock.

That really pisses me off but i just give'em a funny look and nod my head. Laugh

Really? I *love* that! It's only happend to me once, but it gave me a chuckle that lasted all evening long.

But I get great amusement from watching people do stupid stuff. Hmm, I wonder if that's why I'm so attached to rc.com?

Cheers,

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook