RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

rockhugger

Oct 29, 2002, 3:56 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2981 views)
Shortcut

Salewa Ice screws
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I found a really interesting ice screw the other day at a used gear shop.The top had this this thumb actuated catch that caught in one of four notches in the top of the screw but when I pressed the catch I found that you can move the head along the whole length of the screw. So you can move the head down toward the surface of the ice and clip in close,kind of eliminates the need for all those different lengths.Now if we could just put a swivel on one of those and turn it into an express also then we would have the best damn screw anywhere.

bradhill

Oct 30, 2002, 5:34 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2981 views)
Shortcut

Salewa Ice screws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Neat idea. I saw a site that was basically a museum of odd climbing hardwear and he had a lot of interesting and innovative stuff by Salewa, including a semi-mechanical ascender lighter than a tibloc. It seems like a really innovative company, but I'd never heard of them before last week. Anybody know anything more about them? I found their website, but it's all pretty standard stuff...

punk

Oct 30, 2002, 8:18 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Salewa - pronounced (Sa-Lee-Wa),
Is an German in origin company that being there for ever they are the one that makes 50% of Trango gear a really good and reputable company and one of the first climbing gear makers in Europe they were one of the first to come with the tubular design for the ice-screws (the old style Chouinard, and warthogs) and the first to come with the tube design for belay devices

apollodorus

Oct 30, 2002, 9:42 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, Salewa's been around for a LONG time. They made gear for Chouinard even before the tubular ice screw with its electron-beam welded carbide teeth that cut a core smaller than the tube itself, so it would fall out. And not many people are still around who could draw a picture of the Warthog ice piton (wasn't a screw at all, eh?). Salewa made the Chouinard-Frost crampons to their design for years.

I may be wrong on this one, but I think Salewa was also the first company to make the Sticht belay plate, the forerunner of the ATC and all other tube-type belay devices. It looked like a thick silver dollar with a slot in it. Later, there were versions with 11mm and 9mm slots, and then two 9mm slots. And then two 11mm slots, for rapping and fully preempting the ATC. Later still, they added a spring to keep it away from the carabiner, so it was easy to feed rope; holding the rope collapsed the spring.

rockhugger

Oct 31, 2002, 2:15 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to go back and buy that ice screw ,the teeth were all bent but I'll just sharpen them with the dremel.Very carefully!I'll try to get a picture of it on here soon.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook