Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Communication systems for when you cant see/hear your partner?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

Apr 8, 2008, 4:47 PM
Post #26 of 39 (638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [austin.timm] Communication systems for when you cant see/hear your partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Take $16.00 of your money and buy two small light weight FRS radio and get it over with .

It works, it is safe and it will save your as*

no_email_entered

Apr 8, 2008, 4:53 PM
Post #27 of 39 (636 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Communication systems for when you cant see/hear your partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Take $16.00 of your money and buy two small light weight FRS radio and get it over with .

it will save your asterisk?

CaptainPolution

Apr 8, 2008, 7:16 PM
Post #28 of 39 (615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [no_email_entered] Communication systems for when you cant see/hear your partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no_email_entered wrote:
CaptainPolution wrote:
in 1981 kiss played with big brother and the dead at the filmore. that was their first show because they had gotten together just two days before. and that is how kiss was born

dude i dont know what your smokin, but you are sooooo wrong---

---it was the Avalon Ballroom

oh, my bad.

as for communication...

I have used radios but that doesnt work whe your partner drops it fromt he 3rd pitch. rope tug works way better. or if its really a big issue maybe belay from a closer spot, it would make for more pitches but at least you could hear your partner

austin.timm

Apr 8, 2008, 7:53 PM
Post #29 of 39 (606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Communication systems for when you cant see/hear your partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Majid... Why would you even bother telling me that in a reply? Clearly I have some radios already since I wrote about using them on an alpine climb...

I don't get you one bit man... Seems to me you're pretty quick to open your mouth to comment on me without even reading my entire post.

hafilax

Apr 8, 2008, 8:20 PM
Post #30 of 39 (597 views)
Shortcut

Re: [austin.timm] Communication systems for when you cant see/hear your partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use Dingus' method.

When in doubt, belay the rope out to the end. Wait a bit. Dismantle the anchor. Wait a bit more. Start climbing. If the slack doesn't go away make sure you're comfortable and hope it goes up soon.

When leading. Get the second on belay as soon as possible.

majid_sabet

Apr 8, 2008, 8:54 PM
Post #31 of 39 (586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

austin.timm wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Majid... Why would you even bother telling me that in a reply? Clearly I have some radios already since I wrote about using them on an alpine climb...

I don't get you one bit man... Seems to me you're pretty quick to open your mouth to comment on me without even reading my entire post.

Austin

take is easy

I only replied to OP's comment and did not quote on your last reply.

irregularpanda

Apr 9, 2008, 3:18 AM
Post #32 of 39 (549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [no_email_entered] Communication systems for when you cant see/hear your partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no_email_entered wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

it will save your asterisk?

I don't care for my asterisk, I want to save my ampersand.

marc801

Apr 9, 2008, 5:19 AM
Post #33 of 39 (526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CaptainPolution] Communication systems for when you cant see/hear your partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

CaptainPolution wrote:
dingus wrote:
CaptainPolution wrote:
packclimber wrote:
K.I.S.S. = Keep it simple Stupid

packclimber

no, kiss was a gnarly 80's band that painted their faces and worshiped the devil himself. their legend lives with detroit rock city.

west siiedddddeeeeeeeeeeeee

70s actually.

DMT

no dude, it was 1980's. i remember it like it was yesterday
No, it really was the 70's. From the Wiki entry:
Kiss is an American rock band formed in New York City in January 1973. Easily identified by their trademark face paint and stage outfits, the group rose to prominence in the mid-1970s on the basis of their elaborate live performances,...Due to creative differences, both Criss and Frehley were out of the group by 1982. The band's commercial fortunes had also waned considerably by that point.

Truck

Apr 9, 2008, 8:54 PM
Post #34 of 39 (494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Communication systems for when you cant see/hear your partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

More importantly....Gene Simmons has slept with thousands of chicks......Dude!

Truck

pindrvr75

Apr 9, 2008, 8:55 PM
Post #35 of 39 (493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tedman] Communication systems for when you cant see/hear your partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My long term climbing partner and I utilize the following system:

Once the leader is no longer within line of sight of the belay, the belayer assumes a heightened awareness to prepare for a fall. The leader now must give a steady pull for slack and move in small increments. When the belayer feels a steady pull, he pays out one or two armlengths of slack, locks off and waits for the next pull. If the rope is nearing the end, the belayer will respond to a pull with a steady pull similar to that which he feels. The leader should feel the resistance and start looking for the next anchoring station. Once the leader constructs the next station and has the second on belay, he pulls on the rope staccato like for several seconds to alert his belayer that he is now on belay. He then waits for the same signal from his second and then pulls up the slack. Patience here is critical. If a signal is not clear, simply wait a bit until one gets a clear signal. The key to this system working well is to be able to feel how your leader is moving. If you are the leader, being aware that your movement is curtailed by small steady increments prevailing over making leaps of faith or other rough types of egress until one has the benefit of line of sight. If one does not have the benefit of good communication...slow it down.

CaptainPolution

Apr 9, 2008, 9:29 PM
Post #36 of 39 (479 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Communication systems for when you cant see/hear your partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
CaptainPolution wrote:
dingus wrote:
CaptainPolution wrote:
packclimber wrote:

packclimber

no, kiss was a gnarly 80's band that painted their faces and worshiped the devil himself. their legend lives with detroit rock city.

70s actually.

DMT

Kiss is an American rock band formed in New York City in January 1973. Easily identified by their trademark face paint and stage outfits, the group rose to prominence in the mid-1970s on the basis of their elaborate live performances,...Due to creative differences, both Criss and Frehley were out of the group by 1982. The band's commercial fortunes had also waned considerably by that point.

straight trolled to the max my friend. better luck next time

marc801

Apr 9, 2008, 9:37 PM
Post #37 of 39 (475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CaptainPolution] Communication systems for when you cant see/hear your partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

CaptainPolution wrote:
Now remember, there are lots of impressionable youngsters on this forum. We wouldn't want them to have incorrect info, would we?

EvilMonkey

Apr 10, 2008, 1:16 AM
Post #38 of 39 (450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CaptainPolution wrote:
marc801 wrote:
CaptainPolution wrote:
dingus wrote:
CaptainPolution wrote:
packclimber wrote:

packclimber

70s actually.

DMT

Trolling, what's that?Unsure

misterpatrick

Apr 10, 2008, 8:52 PM
Post #39 of 39 (417 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EvilMonkey] Communication systems for when you cant see/hear your partner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I really like radios. My partner and I just started using them this season after having some issues last season on long climbs where the combination of wind and rope-drag rendered rope signals and shouting pretty useless. Besides, radios make for a nice quiet climbing experience. So many people are always shouting...

"Safe!"
"What?!"
"Off belay!"
"Off what, are you good?"
"What?!"
"Are you off?"
etc.....

But of course radios fail in equally spectacular ways as we learned when I heard a bunch of squealing on my and immediately transmitted "Did you just drop your radio?" only to be met with no response.

Which in a way I guess shows how effective they really are.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook