RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

jeapord

Apr 10, 2008, 2:30 PM
Post #1 of 21 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Question for 13+ climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

All the finger strength threads I've read are started by new climbers.

I want some real answers.

What have you found, Mr. 13 or 14 climber, that has given you the biggest jump in tendon strength.

I use a campus board with 6-8 lbs of weight in my pockets with no incuts, as well as some short 2 X 6 blocks on a 45 degree wall with no incuts. I have only been doing it this way for about 2 months, but I've trained my tendons in a variety of other ways, but this gets me the most fatigued. I have noticed a large difference in my contact strength as well as deadpoint accuracy increases.

Never been injured or even had finger pain before, I have very large joints naturally so I don't think I'm prone to injury, and I've pushed my tendons pretty damn hard.

The only reason I'm asking this is because no one at my gym trains for tendons except my girlfriend.

(This post was edited by jeapord on Apr 10, 2008, 4:17 PM)

rjtrials

Apr 10, 2008, 2:57 PM
Post #2 of 21 (3167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeapord] Question for 13+ climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quit training and start projecting. You seem strong enough.

I have weaksauce fingers, cant campus worth shit, and have zero one-arm lockoff ability. Yet, I can somehow trick my way up most hard climbs by a combination of being stubborn and smart...

RJ

jeapord

Apr 10, 2008, 4:24 PM
Post #3 of 21 (3118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rjtrials] Question for 13+ climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ryan
You are most likely right. I haven't been on anything lately that I couldn't do in 5 or less tries (not trying to come off as arrogant). I just don't really know any exceptionally strong climbers so I don't know what I'm supposed to do. But I think finding a project would be optimal at this point.

thanks

altelis

Apr 10, 2008, 4:56 PM
Post #4 of 21 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tendons DO NOT get appreciably stronger

ever

they just don't

sorry

edited for spelling, d'oh

(This post was edited by altelis on Apr 10, 2008, 4:57 PM)

jeapord

Apr 10, 2008, 5:00 PM
Post #5 of 21 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Question for 13+ climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not that naive. Damn.

seatbeltpants

Apr 10, 2008, 8:00 PM
Post #6 of 21 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jeapord wrote:
I'm not that naive. Damn.

er, wasn't your question "What have you found, Mr. 13 or 14 climber, that has given you the biggest jump in tendon strength. "???

steve

zenelky

Apr 10, 2008, 8:09 PM
Post #7 of 21 (2962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seatbeltpants] Question for 13+ climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just think you're too short to ever climb a 5.13. That's all there is to it.

Maybe you need better shoes.Tongue

axelvanettinger

Apr 10, 2008, 8:13 PM
Post #8 of 21 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seatbeltpants] Question for 13+ climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think all the mr. 13 and 14 climbers are climbing now that's how they train their tendons!!! and there's ur answer... While climbing many different things u will train ur tendons, that's how mister 13 does it!

zeke_sf

Apr 10, 2008, 8:46 PM
Post #9 of 21 (2902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [axelvanettinger] Question for 13+ climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Only a handful more posters and you'll have 13+ climbers in here... good luck!

robinson_321

Apr 11, 2008, 1:44 AM
Post #10 of 21 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Question for 13+ climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you stick to your regimine you should see improvement. It just takes longer than two months unless your a super talent. Do, two or three years and then look for improvement. The weight might hurt you. Your body isnt invinceable. In your career to getting stronger you will injure almost every pulley tendon you have. Its inevitable. Being gym strong doesnt mean shit outside. Go to rock town or hueco and try and prove yourself. Bouldering will give you the training you need. Try campusing on smaller holds and then try both sizes with only 2 or three fingers. Work lockoff strength at all angles. Try locking off on small crimps. Do tons of core strength excercizes. My training methods are just to boulder for strength and then do routes for technique. Have fun good luck.

flint

Apr 11, 2008, 2:07 AM
Post #11 of 21 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

#11 get this guy two more....

j-

jmvc

Apr 11, 2008, 3:10 PM
Post #12 of 21 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] Question for 13+ climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climber nº12

And I'm over 13

socalbolter

Apr 12, 2008, 2:56 AM
Post #13 of 21 (2576 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmvc] Question for 13+ climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a dangerous game to train specifically for "tendon" strength.

Be very careful not to over do it, especially if you have thin fingers (translates to thinner tendons usually when looking at things proportionally), you could train yourself straight into an injury.

Most guys I know who are climbing at the levels you're seeking climb quite often and have for at least a few years. This constant exposure to somewhat intense finger usage gives a well-rounded training without isolating things too repetitively.

Climb a lot and when you are putting together your indoor routine spend some time on recruitment type exercises (campusing and other dynamic exercises) on crimps and edges (or really any hold type that uses the last phlange or two of your fingers.

Many of the other suggestions posted by others above (core workouts, footwork, etc.) are key to high end climbing also, but have nothing to do with your question about training tendon strength.

By the way, I also been told (and somewhat believe) that you can't really do too much to strengthen the actual tendons. Instead, by repeatedly straining them, you'll strengthen the connective tissue and muscles around and attached to them. From what I can gather the tendon itself doesn't change a whole lot.

Maybe PM fluxus on this site regarding this. He's very knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of thing.

Good luck on your path to harder climbing.

jmvc

Apr 12, 2008, 8:28 AM
Post #14 of 21 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalbolter] Question for 13+ climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

socalbolter wrote:

Be very careful not to over do it, especially if you have thin fingers (translates to thinner tendons usually when looking at things proportionally), you could train yourself straight into an injury.

Most guys I know who are climbing at the levels you're seeking climb quite often and have for at least a few years. This constant exposure to somewhat intense finger usage gives a well-rounded training without isolating things too repetitively.

Climb a lot and when you are putting together your indoor routine spend some time on recruitment type exercises (campusing and other dynamic exercises) on crimps and edges (or really any hold type that uses the last phlange or two of your fingers.

Many of the other suggestions posted by others above (core workouts, footwork, etc.) are key to high end climbing also, but have nothing to do with your question about training tendon strength.

By the way, I also been told (and somewhat believe) that you can't really do too much to strengthen the actual tendons. Instead, by repeatedly straining them, you'll strengthen the connective tissue and muscles around and attached to them. From what I can gather the tendon itself doesn't change a whole lot.

Maybe PM fluxus on this site regarding this. He's very knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of thing.

In agreement with this, but I believe campusing (and indeed hanging) on crimps to train fingers is not recommended, as you can injure yourself with more ease, and by training on open hand holds, you also increase your crimp strength..

Not that I am an expert on the subject..

Quis

Apr 12, 2008, 8:32 PM
Post #15 of 21 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I posted this in another thread but it works here too.
Don't worry so much about power and getting strong, a great climber just knows how to hold the rock where to step and how to move. If you get to strong to fast you power through moves when to you could use less power and flow through them. Slow down and just climb. Trust me, I have been for 22 years it is not about power at first that comes later don't rush it. I did when I was younger and could barely do a 5.11 Now I am 40 and climb 5.13. Think of it as learning to play an instrument to much power is like teaching yourself to play it. You can go a long way, but if you learned something wrong it suck to try to change the bad habit. Eric J. Horst has a few great books on training look into those. Oh an just find a finger tip edge you can hold and hang for as long as you can. Don't over do any training but if you can do three sets you should be OK. But the best training for climbing is climbing!!!!!
Chris

socalbolter

Apr 12, 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #16 of 21 (2365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jmvc wrote:
socalbolter wrote:

In agreement with this, but I believe campusing (and indeed hanging) on crimps to train fingers is not recommended, as you can injure yourself with more ease, and by training on open hand holds, you also increase your crimp strength..

Hence my warning at the beginning of my post not to overdo it.

jeapord

Apr 13, 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #17 of 21 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Quis] Question for 13+ climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quis wrote:
I posted this in another thread but it works here too.
Don't worry so much about power and getting strong, a great climber just knows how to hold the rock where to step and how to move. If you get to strong to fast you power through moves when to you could use less power and flow through them. Slow down and just climb. Trust me, I have been for 22 years it is not about power at first that comes later don't rush it. I did when I was younger and could barely do a 5.11 Now I am 40 and climb 5.13. Think of it as learning to play an instrument to much power is like teaching yourself to play it. You can go a long way, but if you learned something wrong it suck to try to change the bad habit. Eric J. Horst has a few great books on training look into those. Oh an just find a finger tip edge you can hold and hang for as long as you can. Don't over do any training but if you can do three sets you should be OK. But the best training for climbing is climbing!!!!!
Chris

I try not to power through moves that don't need it. If I make a move in bad style or technique I will take and figure out the smoothest way possible to do it. This is a much more efficient way to climb and build muscle memory rather than just blindly hurling myself at the next hold.

SkipperV

Apr 13, 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #18 of 21 (2229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make sure that if you are campusing on smaller holds(which is safe as long as you warm up properly) that you do it somewhat close to the beginning of your workout, seeing as most injuries occur when you are most fatigued. After you do your capusing on smaller holds move to larger open hand ones.

jmvc

Apr 14, 2008, 8:31 AM
Post #19 of 21 (2115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalbolter] Question for 13+ climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

socalbolter wrote:
jmvc wrote:
socalbolter wrote:

Hence my warning at the beginning of my post not to overdo it.

Why do it at all if you can obtain the same benefits with less injury-prone methods?

phUnk

Apr 15, 2008, 9:22 PM
Post #20 of 21 (1944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jmvc wrote:
You can hang on a "crimp" hold (aka a campus rung) with an open-hand grip, or you can hang on it with a crimp grip, which generally means you'll have a backwards bend to the first knuckle on your fingers (and optionall, a thumb-wrap over your pointer finger.)

It is really that backwards bend that is dangerous (because of the tremendous leverage it creates on the pulleys), not so much the small size or shape of the hold.

sungam

Apr 16, 2008, 10:50 AM
Post #21 of 21 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phUnk] Question for 13+ climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what ever happened to rockprodigy's guide to training?
That was chocka full of good advice.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook