RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

axelvanettinger

Apr 16, 2008, 9:52 PM
Post #1 of 7 (882 views)
Shortcut

Cramped ring and middle finger
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Today I was warming up after climbing last sunday and yesterday. Now the following happend:

I was warming up on a V1 boulder problem and when I dropped of the route my middle and ring finger stayed in arque position while my other fingers stretched, it didn't hurt or anything and at first I didn't noticed because it felt like I stretched al my fingers. When I tried to stretch them I couldn't, I had to use minor force to stretch them like I was pinching a hold only the other way round. Were it cramps cuz others said it were, and I truly hope it isn't anything worse cuz I have a climbing trip coming up in a month.

What do you guys think, and yeah I know this isn't a doctors office but did some of you had it too or heard of it cuz its kinda strange for me and its the first "injury" like experiance in the full four years that I climb!

onceahardman

Apr 17, 2008, 6:25 PM
Post #2 of 7 (832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [axelvanettinger] Cramped ring and middle finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it didn't hurt or anything and at first I didn't noticed because it felt like I stretched al my fingers.

So, it didn't hurt. Once you stretched it out, did full function return?

Sounds like a textbook cramp. Nothing at all to worry about.

axelvanettinger

Apr 17, 2008, 9:22 PM
Post #3 of 7 (820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Cramped ring and middle finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well today it did hurt and i mean a lot! I couldn't even pick up a box and shove it on a shelf at work... When i got home my whole arm was cramped up and now it even hurts in the palm of my hand right between my middle and ring knuckles and on top of my upper arm... I think i'm going to consult a doctor in a few days if it still hurts...

But all info is apreciated because there isn't much info on this subjectUnsure

static_endurance

Apr 17, 2008, 9:46 PM
Post #4 of 7 (812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it's still bugging you and getting to the point where basic day to day stuff is getting hard, such as lifting boxes, you should definately start by resting it altogether and seeing a doctor sooner rather than later. I've never really heard of something like that aside from cramping, but that shouldn't hurt the next day like you're describing. If it happened on an easy warmup route, it could possibly just be from overuse or just repeated stress. How often do you climb / how strenuous are your sessions?

RJVoss

Apr 17, 2008, 9:55 PM
Post #5 of 7 (811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im no doctor, but from the sounds of it you might have popped a pulley. I had a friend that did the same thing and he said it didnt hurt at all till the next day. Go see a doctor if it hurts tomorrow too.

axelvanettinger

Apr 17, 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #6 of 7 (809 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RJVoss] Cramped ring and middle finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well i can use the fingers, like i'm typing with em right now, and don't have any pain but when my knuckles are touched or rather touched between em it hurts. and with the use of that i dont think its a pulley or else i couldn't open or close them any more and also I don't see a bowline of any sort aside of the usual on top of my hand anyways.... but i will consult a doc asap!

Edited to say that i was climbing kinda hard pas week like i climbed sunday and tuesday all day but not at my max or anything...

(This post was edited by axelvanettinger on Apr 17, 2008, 10:04 PM)

GeneralBenson

Apr 20, 2008, 1:06 AM
Post #7 of 7 (648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it's getting caught and won't open, it might be a trigger finger kind of thing. But I don't know if that is the sort of thing that comes on suddenly. But as far as I know, pulley injuries wouldn't cause any opening problems, especially since they are related to your flexor pulleys, and the extensors are what open your hand. So an injury to a flexor pully, shouldn't affect opening. This is all just my speculations, I'm no expert. But I have had problems with trigger finger. It is caused when the finger pully develops a cyst before the A1 pulley, which would be on the palm side of the A1 pulley. The cyst cause trouble with the tendon sliding through the pully opening. Cysts take a while to develop, but I wonder if maybe you could have done something to cause sudden inflamation in that area, which I suppose could have the same effect. That's my rambling guess.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook