Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

eric

Oct 31, 2002, 4:48 AM
Post #1 of 145 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Moderators, please wake up
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Pointless threads, vague and meaningless subjects, kiddies upping their post count, useless crap everywhere. Things are worse than usual.

Only you can put an end to it. Move the garbage in General to Community and spank those responsible.

I'd think there are enough moderators, but if you need a hand, I wield a big stick very well.

Partner tim

Oct 31, 2002, 4:54 AM
Post #2 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Moderators, please wake up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Go for it. Whack and move to your heart's content... you have root, no one's stopping you.

jmlangford

Oct 31, 2002, 4:57 AM
Post #3 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not a moderator or else I'd smack 'em good!

jefesuave

Oct 31, 2002, 5:00 AM
Post #4 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OH NO!!!!!! Meaningless Threads!!!!!!! what on earth will we do about this travesty?!?

jds100

Oct 31, 2002, 5:00 AM
Post #5 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree completely, Eric. I gotta leave now, but I'll check back tomorrow, and I really hope to see that people are paying attention.

pupjr

Oct 31, 2002, 5:05 AM
Post #6 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not saying we should get rid of all of these meaningless threads, but how general is. so it doesn't show on the main page. if ya wanna read spam, at least make it not bother other people. agree?

milesdesbrie

Oct 31, 2002, 5:21 AM
Post #7 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with khanom, the level of discourse here has dropped quite a few notches. It'd be nice to see rockclimbing.com be an actual useful resource rather than a repository for a bunch of inane blather.

[ This Message was edited by: milesdesbrie on 2002-10-30 21:22 ]

moun10man

Oct 31, 2002, 5:39 AM
Post #8 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote: OH NO!!!!!! Meaningless Threads!!!!!!! what on earth will we do about this travesty?!?

you guys are killing me!!
Somebody call the thread poliece an arrrest them thar whoolaganns

Just kidding this is a great site I have learned a great deal from the posts and also been amused a great deal.

jmlangford

Oct 31, 2002, 5:40 AM
Post #9 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's start a list of the most useless posters...there are some people here that are a royal pain in the arse and NEVER post anything intelligent.

andy_lemon

Oct 31, 2002, 5:46 AM
Post #10 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NOTE TO LAME POSTERS

This should make everyone happy. There are currently talks between moderators to make posting in the community forum not count toward "total posts" on a users profile. There are several people on this site driving up there "total Post" count by posting meaningless threads. If this goes through, the "lame" posters will be able to post their little topics all over the community forum to their hearts content AND then it will not be an eyesore to so many of the users.

If you have a negative opinion toward this idea please PM me or email me at harleydavidson_usi@hotmail.com I will post it in the moderator's forum so to keep another flamer/lame subject matter off this board.

jhwnewengland

Oct 31, 2002, 5:46 AM
Post #11 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't do it Jody! That's a sure way to cause trouble (of course, you're probably joking). Not that trouble is a bad thing, either.

I agree about moving posts to community if they aren't relevant. Keep the general forum (and therefore the front page) at a higher level. The purely amusing stuff can always be found in community, if that's what people are looking for. RC.com's image suffers when 3/4 of the threads on the front page (ones that visitors read most often) are filled with stupid comments, trolls, and "troll feeders" (I just picked that expression up too, rradam. we must have read the same post).

Jan

eric

Oct 31, 2002, 5:54 AM
Post #12 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jabbeaux: It wouldn't be appropriate.

There's nothing wrong with meaningless threads. If people want to post and read crap, let them. That's why we have a community forum. Crap goes in there.

I'm starting to wonder if doing away with user ratings was such a good idea. At least then the twits had some incentive not to spew all over.

Right now the only criteria for "measuring" one's "standing" on this website is post count. Bad idea, for obvious reasons. Of course the people who care most about standing are the one's who are least likely to have any...but what can you do?

We need thread police. It's sad but true. If this site is to remain a valuable source of information rather than mere amusement, enforcement of rules is necessary. If we had a self-policing system it wouldn't be so crucial, but we don't.

climbingcowboy

Oct 31, 2002, 5:56 AM
Post #13 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

at the chance of getting flamed let me first say this i enjoy the comuunity forum and the meaningless chatter that goes on there because you can get to know future climbing partners in other states.

However i agree what i dont really like is seeing stupid posts on the front page this site is for climbing INFO with a convenit small area thrown in for people to chat. I agreee theres people throwing stuff in the way wrong forums WTF cant people read?

But i dont get why the post count is goddam-
important? can someone explaine it to me?

mtnsprts

Oct 31, 2002, 5:59 AM
Post #14 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I was under the impression that this site was also designed to accomodate and inform those that are new to the sport and that no question is a dumb one......am I under the wrong impression?

eric

Oct 31, 2002, 6:00 AM
Post #15 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

andy_lemon: If I understand you correctly, that's only going to make it worse. Their goal is to up their post count, so if they can't do that in community, where are they going to do it?
Frankly I'd much rather see such users have their post count set to 99999 so that (a) the number will be meaningless and (b) so they'll be branded as the losers we know them to be

Or let's concede that the experiment didn't work and get rid of post count all together. On it's own it just seems to encourage bad behaviour.

goodcanuck

Oct 31, 2002, 6:02 AM
Post #16 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why not just make it so that the "community" forum is not shown on the front page? This way you have to cognatively seek out the community page...which actually took me a little while to actually find.(since I wasn't primarily looking for it)

Simple, yet effective solution?...perhaps not if your are programming the site.

jhwnewengland

Oct 31, 2002, 6:11 AM
Post #17 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

goodcanuck: posts from the community forum don't show up on the front page. The problem is that half the stuff that is posted in general should be in community.

mtnsprts: you're right, relevant questions like "how do I feed a grigri" are fine, and should be on the front page. It's stuff like "who's the best boulderer," or "wow climbing is so cool we rock!" that belongs in community, but gets posted in other places.

I think the current system is fine, as long as moderators feel empowered to move stuff to community that belongs there. For example, a recent post in general said "we are insane! a bunch of people climbing stuff for no reason!" or something to that effect. Jody replied saying something like "another post from xxx..." He should have moved it to community instead.

Jan

jhwnewengland

Oct 31, 2002, 6:15 AM
Post #18 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mtgeo, I like the post count because it makes it easy to get an idea of how long/much a person uses the site. I see your 400 posts and figure you've been around a little longer than I have. Not always the case, but it's an idea. Like you said, quantity may or (more often) may not equal quality, so I don't use it as a judge of quality. Pay it no mind.

boz84

Oct 31, 2002, 6:19 AM
Post #19 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Posts like Hueco's "countdown" shouldnt even be in community!

They are so incredibly useless, there ONLY PURPOSE was to increase his post count. This is BULLSH*T. If I had my way, posters like him would be flogged. This goes for all the other posters (notice they all are new(er) to this site) who just dont get it.

andy_lemon

Oct 31, 2002, 6:21 AM
Post #20 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see most of your points here... they are good but The fact is that they are just posting to drive up their post count. If they truely like posting in the community forum then they will post there no matter if they get credit for posts or not. right? that should be the case.

If they Do go elsewhere I'm sure our moderators will edit, slash, burn, smother, hack, slander, & delete their posts. This should not be too much extra work for moderators as we have 2 in most forums and 8 in the General forum. Plenty of moderators to go around ya see.

Partner sauron

Oct 31, 2002, 6:27 AM
Post #21 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The last time I tried to do away with one of the inane I'm-going-to-try-to-up-my-post-count threads, I got bitched at by everybody and their brother..

I'm all for wielding a big black stick, and trust me, I wield it well.

Then again, I don't mind being branded the forum nazi.

- d.

andy_lemon

Oct 31, 2002, 6:30 AM
Post #22 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The hell with it, we have eliminated the Q ratings, the Contribution Points, why not total posts.

climbingcowboy

Oct 31, 2002, 6:31 AM
Post #23 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think the whole post count thing is kinda lame look at me i havent been here that long and i have alot of posts.

BUT alot of them are from good answers to peoples questions and me posting relative questions, but alot are also from me just wanting to talk to other climbers about BS onthe site. so why not instead of a posts count homany years climbing count?

i dont look at a post count to get advice i take in whos been giving good advice and that others agree with that person. look how many posts PPPete has but there are people with much less experanice who have a high count to that i wouldnt ask about climbing stuff.

goodcanuck

Oct 31, 2002, 6:33 AM
Post #24 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

'K i just kindda noticed that they don't show up...cool.

I have to argue the fact that "the more posts the better the quality of beta or the more knowledgable you are".

I frequent another site and have only about 150 posts, yet have been there since '99. there are many before and after me that have thousands more posts than me. The diff is that I (usually) don't post shitte. (well not always...but I won't say never)...main thing is that if I answer a serious post I will usually only post if I have "good reason" (or, of course, if someone said something really freakin' funny)

But seriously...it like guys and fast cars and big trucks....the more posts, the more prowis they have.....me, I just like to sit back and know I'm a "Cunning Linguist"

andy_lemon

Oct 31, 2002, 6:38 AM
Post #25 of 145 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is not a debate on "who has more posts has less knowledge". This is a debate on posts in the community forum not counting toward your total post.

It really shouldn't be that big of a deal unless the only reason you post in the community forum is to drive up your "total post" count.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook