RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

shanz

May 6, 2008, 12:40 AM
Post #1 of 14 (995 views)
Shortcut

a look at the past
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

after a good long trip(6mo's), when you forget about all things that most "normal" people consider sacred how i have looked back at all the times i had the opportunity to climb and viewed current life events and how there were times i could have climbed and didnt. Whether it be because i said "well if we travel an 2 hours both ways or more to only climb for an hour before dark. Also i can remember more than once i said " we dont have the money for the gas it costs to head to the crag and i have to be up early"
when in reality subconsciously i was not willing to give my all to the one thing besides my wife i love.

I remember grounding because some pro popped from a hold on a climb i shouldn't have been climbing on anyway due to a broken foot.

I remember driving 4 hours to climb and while on belay my wife was throwing up due to having gotten out of the hospital with a stomach virus

I remember taking a trip to the local crag and trying to climb with a torn tendon in my finger. but yet pushing 2 grades harder due to focus on footwork and not having to use the 3 finger hold.

In conclusion it took a 6 month climbing in many different places and giving up what most "normal" people would consider sacred for me to realize how many times i had to opportunity to climb and didn't due to lame excuses to make me realize how much i love what we do. I wont make this mistake again.

How many times have you had the opportunity to climb and use so called real life to not make one more climb. Just wondering

(This post was edited by shanz on May 6, 2008, 12:41 AM)

notapplicable

May 6, 2008, 1:11 AM
Post #2 of 14 (968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shanz] a look at the past [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shanz wrote:
How many times have you had the opportunity to climb and use so called real life to not make one more climb. Just wondering

To damn many, including this weekend when I worked instead of having fun.

Sigh...thanks for reminding me how much life sucks.Pirate

sully264

May 6, 2008, 1:14 AM
Post #3 of 14 (963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As much as you love climbing, there are other (more) important things in life besides it.

Everything in moderation.

a.frosch

May 6, 2008, 1:21 AM
Post #4 of 14 (960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sully264] a look at the past [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sully264 wrote:

That works for many, but not for the true fanatic.

shanz

May 6, 2008, 1:21 AM
Post #5 of 14 (960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sully264] a look at the past [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sully264 wrote:
As much as you love climbing, there are other (more) important things in life besides it.

that is the truest statement of all ---

but love for what you do matters most - sometimes it takes realization to open even older dogs eyes. climbing has been the driving force and is what has always brought myself and the wife closer

fresh

May 6, 2008, 1:35 AM
Post #6 of 14 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shanz wrote:
but love for what you do matters most
true. but it's too easy to fall into the trap of feeling that anything but climbing is not worthwhile, because that will just make you miserable.

kyleshea

May 6, 2008, 2:42 AM
Post #7 of 14 (932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fresh] a look at the past [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fresh wrote:
shanz wrote:
true. but it's too easy to fall into the trap of feeling that anything but climbing is not worthwhile, because that will just make you miserable.

i disagree.

bizarrodrinker

May 6, 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #8 of 14 (869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fresh] a look at the past [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fresh wrote:
shanz wrote:

depends who you are.

shanz

May 6, 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #9 of 14 (795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] a look at the past [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for me and the wife being 35 and 43 it takes absolute dedication (or lack of give a crap) to make a trip like we had

fresh

May 7, 2008, 3:43 PM
Post #10 of 14 (731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyleshea] a look at the past [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kyleshea wrote:
fresh wrote:
shanz wrote:

i disagree.
living in the moment is the key to happiness. but hey, happiness isn't for everyone.

granite_grrl

May 7, 2008, 4:42 PM
Post #11 of 14 (706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shanz wrote:

An interesting question which brings up another question: what is a "so called real life excuse" and a "real real life excuse".

I guess it comes down to priorities. Priorities that some would question, some would not.

I just got on the list to have some hardware in my leg removed. Even if I quit my job to go climbing, I'm going to have to come back and find a clean place to live for a couple of months to recover after the surgery. I'll probobly stick around till that time, then let work pay for some S&A while I'm recovering comfortably in my own house.

So are these excuses? I could probobly leave the hardware in and let it keep bothering me. I could quit my job today, put my house on the market.

But what I'm doing is my personal choice, my priority. I want this metal out of me and I want to be comfortable and finacially secure when it happens.

taydude

May 7, 2008, 4:48 PM
Post #12 of 14 (699 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] a look at the past [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hehe when people ask me what I want to do on the weekend I start going through my current projects.

icyfrosty

May 7, 2008, 5:17 PM
Post #13 of 14 (679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] a look at the past [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
shanz wrote:

An interesting question which brings up another question: what is a "so called real life excuse" and a "real real life excuse".

I guess it comes down to priorities. Priorities that some would question, some would not.

I just got on the list to have some hardware in my leg removed. Even if I quit my job to go climbing, I'm going to have to come back and find a clean place to live for a couple of months to recover after the surgery. I'll probobly stick around till that time, then let work pay for some S&A while I'm recovering comfortably in my own house.

So are these excuses? I could probobly leave the hardware in and let it keep bothering me. I could quit my job today, put my house on the market.

But what I'm doing is my personal choice, my priority. I want this metal out of me and I want to be comfortable and finacially secure when it happens.

It's a very good point. But the better question is always :"what is financial security?" or more to the point "what is important?" Alot of people have this crazy idea of a huge house with 3 garages with 5 cars, kick ass pool and your own 60ft climbing wall :) But i've traveled and met alot of people that had alot less and were probably happier than most.

In the end the only person you half to answer too is you wheather or not what you are saying is a excuse to not climb or a valid reason not to go...

shanz

May 8, 2008, 3:42 PM
Post #14 of 14 (625 views)
Shortcut

Re: [icyfrosty] a look at the past [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess to clarify my point a little more - i think back on those times when i had the chance to climb being that i lived 30 minutes from my nearest crag. Aka weekends, days off and such, im not necessarily saying quit your job or take it to the extreme that we did. But rather any opportunity to climb.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook