Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All


nswelton


May 11, 2008, 1:59 PM
Post #1 of 47 (3110 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 29, 2001
Posts: 31

Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Been searching all over the place - anyone know where to get heliums for cheap? I want an ultralight trad biner with a notchless nose. Must have a notchless nose. THANKS!


irregularpanda


May 11, 2008, 2:06 PM
Post #2 of 47 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 13, 2007
Posts: 1364

Re: [nswelton] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Try the DMM shield. Just as high quality as the helium......as to where to get it, that's up to you.

I heard of this invention, it's called the internet. Apparently its actually a series of tubes. Whatever that means.

Try spadout.com Try liberty mountain. I'm sure there are others. Try a google search. You get the idea.


ja1484


May 11, 2008, 2:17 PM
Post #3 of 47 (3102 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 10, 2006
Posts: 1935

Re: [irregularpanda] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

 
God man, don't send him into every tube! He's gonna clog 'em up! This thing ain't a big truck!


nswelton


May 11, 2008, 2:33 PM
Post #4 of 47 (3085 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 29, 2001
Posts: 31

Re: [irregularpanda] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't like the Shield, which is why I asked about the Helium. If I wanted the Shield, I'd have posted a message entitled "Anyone know where to get Shields on the cheap?" But in fact, I posted a message with a different title referencing not the Shield, but the Helium. I guessed you missed that. But isn't it obvious that I was looking for a Helium? Am I crazy in thinking that it is obvious?

I also pointed out quite clearly that I'd searched all over the place for a place that had cheap Helium carabiners. In fact, I went so far as to actually type the words, "I've searched all over the place." Next time I search all over the place, I will try to better communicate to readers on this forum that I indeed searched all over the place. I am not sure how I will accomplish this monumental task of producing clarity, but I am sure I can do it somehow.

Why is it that whenever anyone posts something online asking advice about A, they get a bunch of crap about B, even though they didn't ask about B? It happens all the time, even when they are actively seeking out something other than B.

Q: Hey, where can I get bananas? My store is out.
A: Go to the porn shop and buy dildos. They're the same shape.

WTF.

I guess if you were of subpar intellect you might assume that the phrase "I want a notchless nose" would indicate that I want anything that has a notchless nose, which would be a reasonable assumption if the phrase had no context, but in point of fact the phrase did have context. The context was that I was looking for a Helium carabiner. I wrote it in the subject of the post.

What's the point of pointing me toward spadout.com or libertymountain.com? Do they have them on the cheap? No. Of course not. Of course, I should have realized that you'd be no help because you suggested I go buy a DMM Shield, which was exactly not what I wanted.

Anyway, thanks for trying. I appreciate your gesture of good will and helpfulness. When I am dying on the side of the road after a horrific car accident, I can only hope that people who patrol the RC.com message boards offering idiosyncratic advice will be there to save my life.

Q: Help, I'm dying, can you help?
A: Here's a dildo, it's shaped like a banana.
Q: What do I do with it?
A: Get on the Internet and figure it out.

The point of the post was to see if anyone knows of any specials going on.

So let me try again. I will try to be even more straightforward than I was the first time in an attempt to avoid any confusion.

Does anyone know of any online shops that I might have missed that are selling discounted Heliums?

Thanks


(This post was edited by nswelton on May 11, 2008, 2:36 PM)


ja1484


May 11, 2008, 2:47 PM
Post #5 of 47 (3072 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 10, 2006
Posts: 1935

Re: [nswelton] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

 
That is totally a trophy post.

Just to fuel the fire further:

I doubt any of us are aware of any e-tailers that you aren't. We use the same internet to watch gear prices.


nswelton


May 11, 2008, 2:52 PM
Post #6 of 47 (3067 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 29, 2001
Posts: 31

Re: [ja1484] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay okay okay.

Maybe the third time will be the charm. I'll rephrase it.

Has anyone bought Heliums lately on the cheap and could share where they bought them so I don't have to spend two hours farting around on the Internet looking for a deal?


irregularpanda


May 11, 2008, 2:52 PM
Post #7 of 47 (3067 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 13, 2007
Posts: 1364

Re: [nswelton] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nswelton wrote:

Q: Hey, where can I get bananas? My store is out.
A: Go to the porn shop and buy dildos. They're the same shape.

WTF.

Thank you sir. You have officially made my day. Try not to get all butt-hurt about it, If you want to, you could read anybody else's post where the same fucking thing happens.

Example 1: Dude says, I know why my belay loop broke, what do you guys think about backing it up with webbing and a water knot? I know why it broke, don't try to tell me why it broke...... you can imagine what happened next.

Example 2: The entirety of the posts on this website.



I'm glad you have a sense of humor about these things, so in the meantime, go get the shield. I like it more than the helium, therefore I am right, and you are wrong. But if you can't find the shield (which is a superior biner) you could use the dildo in its stead.


shockabuku


May 11, 2008, 3:06 PM
Post #8 of 47 (3047 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4868

Re: [nswelton] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nswelton wrote:
I don't like the Shield, which is why I asked about the Helium. If I wanted the Shield, I'd have posted a message entitled "Anyone know where to get Shields on the cheap?" But in fact, I posted a message with a different title referencing not the Shield, but the Helium. I guessed you missed that. But isn't it obvious that I was looking for a Helium? Am I crazy in thinking that it is obvious?

I also pointed out quite clearly that I'd searched all over the place for a place that had cheap Helium carabiners. In fact, I went so far as to actually type the words, "I've searched all over the place." Next time I search all over the place, I will try to better communicate to readers on this forum that I indeed searched all over the place. I am not sure how I will accomplish this monumental task of producing clarity, but I am sure I can do it somehow.

Why is it that whenever anyone posts something online asking advice about A, they get a bunch of crap about B, even though they didn't ask about B? It happens all the time, even when they are actively seeking out something other than B.

Q: Hey, where can I get bananas? My store is out.
A: Go to the porn shop and buy dildos. They're the same shape.

WTF.

I guess if you were of subpar intellect you might assume that the phrase "I want a notchless nose" would indicate that I want anything that has a notchless nose, which would be a reasonable assumption if the phrase had no context, but in point of fact the phrase did have context. The context was that I was looking for a Helium carabiner. I wrote it in the subject of the post.

What's the point of pointing me toward spadout.com or libertymountain.com? Do they have them on the cheap? No. Of course not. Of course, I should have realized that you'd be no help because you suggested I go buy a DMM Shield, which was exactly not what I wanted.

Anyway, thanks for trying. I appreciate your gesture of good will and helpfulness. When I am dying on the side of the road after a horrific car accident, I can only hope that people who patrol the RC.com message boards offering idiosyncratic advice will be there to save my life.

Q: Help, I'm dying, can you help?
A: Here's a dildo, it's shaped like a banana.
Q: What do I do with it?
A: Get on the Internet and figure it out.

The point of the post was to see if anyone knows of any specials going on.

So let me try again. I will try to be even more straightforward than I was the first time in an attempt to avoid any confusion.

Does anyone know of any online shops that I might have missed that are selling discounted Heliums?

Thanks

Quoted for prosperity.


shockabuku


May 11, 2008, 3:08 PM
Post #9 of 47 (3045 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4868

Re: [nswelton] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nswelton wrote:
Been searching all over the place - anyone know where to get heliums for cheap? I want an ultralight trad biner with a notchless nose. Must have a notchless nose. THANKS!

Here's an even more helpful response:

REI, around September 2006. They were like 50% off. Great sale.

Now, question is, who's got the time machine?


irregularpanda


May 11, 2008, 3:17 PM
Post #10 of 47 (3036 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 13, 2007
Posts: 1364

Re: [shockabuku] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Maybe I should go over the the "best crack climbs in the USA" and recommend some sick slab climbs.


shockabuku


May 11, 2008, 3:21 PM
Post #11 of 47 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4868

Re: [irregularpanda] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You're treading dangerous ground; there's actually some overlap between the two categories.


irregularpanda


May 11, 2008, 3:32 PM
Post #12 of 47 (3020 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 13, 2007
Posts: 1364

Re: [shockabuku] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
You're treading dangerous ground; there's actually some overlap between the two categories.

We digress. We should really focus our efforts on a time machine. I think the best way to design something that could approach the speed of light is to reduce the friction as much as possible.

Enter the water weenie.


A harmless child's toy that could usher in a new era of time travel. Soon, I will buy those aliens that REI had marked at only 2.95 each.


dlintz


May 11, 2008, 3:33 PM
Post #13 of 47 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2002
Posts: 1982

Re: [shockabuku] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This thread delivers.

I got in on that ridiculous REI sale in '06...Helium draws for $9.83, doubt that'll ever happen again.

To the OP, sorry. I have no help for you but I'll think of you and your excellent reply to irregularpanda the next time I use mine....Heliums that is, not dildos.

d.


sacasmman


May 11, 2008, 4:07 PM
Post #14 of 47 (3000 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 11, 2008
Posts: 1

Re: [nswelton] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nswelton wrote:
I also pointed out quite clearly that I'd searched all over the place for a place that had cheap Helium carabiners. In fact, I went so far as to actually type the words, "I've searched all over the place." Next time I search all over the place, I will try to better communicate to readers on this forum that I indeed searched all over the place. I am not sure how I will accomplish this monumental task of producing clarity, but I am sure I can do it somehow.

Well, gee, if you've already searched "all over the place", then what do you want us to do? Obviously everywhere we could possibly suggest, you've already searched, as you've taken oh so great pains now to tell us.

Do you want the password to the Super Internet, which consists of only online rock climbing retailers with 80%-off sales? Sorry, I don't think you've earned it.

nswelton wrote:
Why is it that whenever anyone posts something online asking advice about A, they get a bunch of crap about B, even though they didn't ask about B? It happens all the time, even when they are actively seeking out something other than B.

Maybe it's because (and I know this is hard to believe!) search engines like google.com and price comparison sites for rock climbing equipment like spadout.com are actually pretty good, and if you can't find something there, then maybe, just maybe, it doesn't exist.

Q: I'm trying to find a Nintendo Wii for under $35. I need to play video games and I'm on a budget.

A: You probably can't get one cheap, but have you tried looking for a Super NES on ebay? That might fit your requirements.

Q: I asked for a Wii, dammit! Why are you recommending dildos and bananas and biners that are oh so slightly different from what I want? Do you guys have like 3 brain cells or what? You're almost as bad as my mom telling me to cut down on the caffeine, when I've only had like 4 quad espressos today. What is with that? Would you be so mean to me if I was dying? A Super NES for a dying man? And you guys haven't even offered to help me jury-rig my ripped harness! Sheesh!


qwert


May 12, 2008, 1:47 AM
Post #15 of 47 (2930 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 24, 2004
Posts: 2394

Re: [nswelton] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you want cheap helium, i suggest you go to the next amusement park and get one of those baloons.
in most cases they are filled with heliums.
With p V = n R T and the assumption that the balloon is a sphere with a radius of 0,2m and that you are under standart conditions, we get
n = (p V) / (R T) = (101325 Pa (4/3 pi 0,2^3 m^3)) / (8,3144 J / (mol K) 273,15 K) = 3395,4 Nm /2271 NmK / mol K = 1,495 mol

I dont know the actual prices for those balloons, but i guess 2$ is a safe assumption. So 2$ gets you 1,496mol of heliums. that are 9E23 Heliums.
Or in other words one helium costs you 1.11E-24 $.

Sounds like a good price to me.

qwert


chossmonkey


May 12, 2008, 3:59 AM
Post #16 of 47 (2920 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2003
Posts: 28414

Re: [nswelton] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nswelton wrote:
Has anyone bought Heliums lately on the cheap and could share where they bought them so I don't have to spend two hours farting around on the Internet looking for a deal?
Maybe if you spent two hours working you could just go and buy them?


vegastradguy


May 12, 2008, 6:16 AM
Post #17 of 47 (2887 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 28, 2002
Posts: 5919

Re: [chossmonkey] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i bought most of mine retail- buying in bulk got the price down to about $9/per, sometimes lower depending on where i picked them up.

usually buying 10 at a time got me the discount- anything less and the shops didnt want to help out.

buying at a local gear shop may also be the best option, as being a local often gets you an additional discount.


granite_grrl


May 12, 2008, 6:46 AM
Post #18 of 47 (2873 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 15084

Re: [nswelton] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nswelton wrote:
What's the point of pointing me toward spadout.com or libertymountain.com? Do they have them on the cheap? No. Of course not. Of course, I should have realized that you'd be no help because you suggested I go buy a DMM Shield, which was exactly not what I wanted.
'cause maybe that's the best options you have.

Cheap
High End
Fast

You can pick two out of the three.


nswelton


May 12, 2008, 7:03 AM
Post #19 of 47 (2857 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 29, 2001
Posts: 31

Re: [granite_grrl] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
'cause maybe that's the best options you have.

Cheap
High End
Fast

You can pick two out of the three.

Hey, awesome, thanks for being so super helpful and repeating all the other useless information clogging this forum. RC.com needs a collective enema.

Can I add "They don't even stock them" to the list for Liberty Mountain?


shockabuku


May 12, 2008, 7:08 AM
Post #20 of 47 (2852 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4868

Re: [nswelton] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Don't get them at Liberty Mountain. I don't think they carry the Heliums.


WVUCLMBR


May 12, 2008, 7:11 AM
Post #21 of 47 (2846 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 20, 2007
Posts: 668

Re: [nswelton] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Helium sucks...I prefer Nitrous....wa...wa....wa....wa...wa.....wa.....


hhelbein


May 12, 2008, 7:16 AM
Post #22 of 47 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 16, 2007
Posts: 112

Re: [nswelton] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sorry master, don't beat me. As your personal Helium shopping assistant, I'll do my best to serve you better next time. Oh wait, I just found Helium's for $7 a piece on rockgear.com! Unfortunately, I just bought the last ones in stock, sucker.

Here are some tips on how you could have been more clear:

(1) If you've done so much Internet searching, give us the best price you found so far and where you found it. That way we won't waste your time and it may actually help someone else looking for Heliums.

(2) You posted the following, which to me, gives the impression that you are open to other biner options:
nswelton wrote:
I want an ultralight trad biner with a notchless nose. Must have a notchless nose.

(3) No one wants to help someone who comes across as a jerk, including your mother.
edits: fixed typos

(This post was edited by hhelbein on May 12, 2008, 7:40 AM)


billcoe_


May 12, 2008, 7:56 AM
Post #23 of 47 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 30, 2002
Posts: 4693

Re: [dlintz] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dlintz wrote:
This thread delivers.

I got in on that ridiculous REI sale in '06...Helium draws for $9.83, doubt that'll ever happen again.

To the OP, sorry. I have no help for you but I'll think of you and your excellent reply to irregularpanda the next time I use mine....Heliums that is, not dildos.

d.

I only bought 10 of those draws, it was $10.93 for me. I had a few out yesterday, wish I'd bought more.

Heres a dead Moose guy wants to sell. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/zip/673017049.html
"I have a dead moose free for the taking.

It died yesterday, apparently of natural causes. I called Fish & Game to come and get it. Apparently, moose are a natural resource and belong to everybody, until they die, then they belong to whoevers property they die on. So, according to Fish & Game, the moose now belongs to me. Sweet!!

So, if you want a free moose, please come and get it before the bears do. "

_________________________________________________

Hope it helps, cause I didn't see Heliums or bananas on sale anywhere.


moose_droppings


May 12, 2008, 8:25 AM
Post #24 of 47 (2808 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 7, 2005
Posts: 3371

Re: [nswelton] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

*hint*hint*

You want simple answers to simple questions, go to the beginners forum.


saxfiend


May 12, 2008, 8:59 AM
Post #25 of 47 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Posts: 1208

Re: [nswelton] Anyone know where to get heliums on the cheap? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nswelton wrote:
Why is it that whenever anyone posts something online asking advice about A, they get a bunch of crap about B, even though they didn't ask about B? It happens all the time, even when they are actively seeking out something other than B.
Welcome to rockclimbing.com. Carry on.

JL

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook