Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

spideyman

May 15, 2008, 6:59 PM
Post #1 of 42 (4639 views)
Shortcut

The Gunks Deli
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Was at the Gunks Deli in New Paltz, NY (next to EMS) a couple of weeks ago and man at the front register wearing glasses has become quite an asshole. What the hell happened to that place? Walked into the Deli in the AM, not many people there yet, placed an order for a sandwich and was given a "ticket" (apparently their new terminology for a customer order form). The geek at the register was yelling and screaming at everyone bellowing if you don't have your "ticket" you won't get your sandwich and demanded instant pre-payment. I figured ...ok...thought he was being a disrespectful jerk to us customers, but... whatever, i pre-paid for the sandwich and put my "ticket" in my wallet so that I could try and hold onto it for a few minutes and not lose it...like its an easy thing to hold onto. Next my girl friend came into the Deli about 20 minutes later, having meet us there for a day of climbing. She placed her sandwich order and the man that took the order NEVER gave her a "ticket". NOTE-that this "ticket" crap is NEW, we have been going there and buying food for 3 years and never has anyone asked or presented a "ticket" to us or informed us of any new "ticket" POLICY. So a little while goes buy and my girl goes to pay for the sandwich. The GEEK at the register demands the ticket be presented!! The jerk says "Where is the ticket!" My gf was like what? Ticket? and indicated that she was never presented with a ticket and ordered from the fellow over there "motioning" to the guy who made her sandwich. The guy then screams at her saying "You don't have a ticket! Then you didn't order!" "Go re-order"! I was shocked and my gf to her credit is a very kind and decent person and she just shrugged of the nasty jerkoff's abuse. Then the fella that she had placed the order with overheard the commotion the Geek was making and ran up to the front register and told the Geek that he had not given her the ticket and that he had to ticket right here and that the confusion was his fault and that the sandwich was ready. But I was pissed, my gf took it in stride which I guess was good otherwise I would have had to jump over the register put the guy in the morgue which would have sent me to jail; which would obviously have ruined the day of climbing...and might or might not have been worth it. Gratifying as it would have been... But that's my current impression of the Gunks deli. P.S. for those who don't know where the Deli is its located directly across from the Mountain Brauhaus, at the intersection of Route 299 & Route 44-55. Anyone know of a different Deli in town where the staff is polite, appreciative and respectful of their customers?

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2008, 7:14 PM
Post #2 of 42 (4624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spideyman] The Gunks Deli [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rino's Pizza, just off 87.

They have a buffalo BLT sandwhich that is served cold. I asked for it to be served warm as a wrap. I also changed a bunch of the ingredients because that's just the way I am. The response?

"OK, sure, uh-huh, ok, no cheese? ok, did you want the sauce too? sure thing. be a few minutes while it heats up. that OK?"

Those guys are going to get to know me real well before long.

PS - I've never been to the mountain deli, but I have heard good things until this post.

spideyman

May 15, 2008, 7:21 PM
Post #3 of 42 (4614 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] The Gunks Deli [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice I'll give it a shot. Don't want to give my business to people who act foul to the customers.

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2008, 7:27 PM
Post #4 of 42 (4605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.campusfood.com/...866&campusid=109

Like I said, it is close to I-87. If you're heading out of town toward I-87, it is in the plaza on the right at the last or second-to-last set of lights before the interstate.

Partner wormly81

May 15, 2008, 7:40 PM
Post #5 of 42 (4591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats quite a rant you have going on there.

I've been to the deli once since it changed owners. They effectively killed a local climbers institution by losing the alcohol license (I harbor resentment if I havnt made that clear already). There used to be people drinking beers on the porch all night long with no problems. The local police would stop on by and say hi, make sure nobody was doing anything crazy, and then head on their way.

I voted with my feet; it may just work for you too.

spideyman

May 15, 2008, 8:23 PM
Post #6 of 42 (4552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wormly81] The Gunks Deli [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Word to your mother. I'll be going elsewhere.

shockabuku

May 15, 2008, 8:27 PM
Post #7 of 42 (4548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wormly81 wrote:
Thats quite a rant you have going on there.

I've been to the deli once since it changed owners. They effectively killed a local climbers institution by losing the alcohol license (I harbor resentment if I havnt made that clear already). There used to be people drinking beers on the porch all night long with no problems. The local police would stop on by and say hi, make sure nobody was doing anything crazy, and then head on their way.

I voted with my feet; it may just work for you too.

Goddamn, go away for three years and the whole place falls apart. I used to look forward to breakfast there as the start of my day. Moving back in two, you guys need to get that shit fixed! That is all.

wonderwoman

May 15, 2008, 9:14 PM
Post #8 of 42 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spideyman wrote:
Anyone know of a different Deli in town where the staff is polite, appreciative and respectful of their customers?

Nope! We showed up at the Main St. Bistro at 8:30 (it closes at 9) this past saturday for my bday dinner. One of our friends was running late and the hostess kept reminding us that the kitchen closes at 9. We ordered our food before 9, but stayed a little after 9pm.

As we're figuring out the money situation, I hear the hostess say very loudly 'I think we should start playing some really loud and offensive music'. So I replied 'But we LIKE loud and offensive music!'

That may be my last dinner at the Bistro. Must have been a strange restaurant weekend at the gunks. Too bad. I really liked eating there!

spideyman

May 15, 2008, 9:41 PM
Post #9 of 42 (4491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] The Gunks Deli [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wonder when all the shitty management took over...

kmc

May 15, 2008, 9:45 PM
Post #10 of 42 (4488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Didnt want to jump in and bad mouth, but the deli has really taken a dive since they changed ownership.

They always seem to screw up orders, and the guy with glasses behind the counter that you speak of, can not properly count change. Make sure you count your change after he handles it.

And as was already mentioned, they stopped selling beer. I actually have to plan ahead and always have warm beers in my car to drink for when I make my way to my car from the stair master.

lucander

May 15, 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #11 of 42 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kmc] The Gunks Deli [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Karma Road organic deli in New Paltz just before the Gilded Otter as you head into town.
I still like the Deli though but I'll be going there less because they don't take tabs any more.

DL

Partner happiegrrrl

May 15, 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #12 of 42 (4462 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lucander] The Gunks Deli [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The ticket thing ain't new - it's just that it was sporadically used in the past. During the weekend morning rush, they'd usually give you a ticket when you ordered.

Sometimes, it wouldn't be busy, and they wouldn't have the tickets, and then it would start to get busy but the order person hadn't kicked into ticket mode in time....A frenzy would occur and .....sandwiches would not be able to be connected to their persons!!! It was awful...

I never did the evening beer on the porch thing, so I never missed it. But I'm sure it was nice, and it is sad that is gone. I've always wondered what WAS the deal about the liguor license....I figured it was some Gardiner politics at stake more than the deli owners either losing it or deciding against selling. Anyone know?

gunkiemike

May 15, 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #13 of 42 (4435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spideyman wrote:
Anyone know of a different Deli in town where the staff is polite, appreciative and respectful of their customers?

I'm a huge fan of Tommy C's Deli on Main St across from the bus station and Hostel. Only problem is they don't open very early in the day (as late as 9AM sometimes). Prices are much better than Karma Road but that place offers a different sort of experience (earth friendly products and such).

lucander

May 16, 2008, 1:30 AM
Post #14 of 42 (4388 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] The Gunks Deli [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's probably worth mentioning that Joan, proprietor of the Deli in question, is an avid Gunks booster who has donated product for two years to the Climbing Ranger coffee programs on Sunday mornings at the Steel Bridge throughout the season.

DL

seeker

May 16, 2008, 2:25 AM
Post #15 of 42 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if it's the same lady, but one of them was very rude to me last year. We bought maybe $15 worth of breakfast and were sitting at the picnic table outside in the yard (not on the porch). I was making my own coffee because I bought theirs the day before and it was not good at all. It was a very small camp stove, my water was almost boiling, and she came busting out and said "shut it off now and dump it out or I will call the cops". I mean, really, if she would have just asked that I not make coffee there again, that would have been fine. But threatening us after we had already bought all the food from her store seemed really uncalled for and her tone of voice was very rude. If they had better coffee I would gladly buy it there. Now I won't spend another cent in that place ever again for anything no matter how hungry I am.Mad
In reply to:

climbeverything

May 16, 2008, 3:24 AM
Post #16 of 42 (4335 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seeker] The Gunks Deli [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yea for breakfast go to tommy c's, or there is a bagel place in the stop n shop plaza, right after you get off the thruway. For dinner, go to the Brauh house or the gilded otter, both places have great burgers. stay away from the hippie deli. (not that there is anything wrong with hippies just the ones that own and work it)

wonderwoman

May 16, 2008, 12:53 PM
Post #17 of 42 (4292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lucander wrote:
Karma Road organic deli in New Paltz just before the Gilded Otter as you head into town.

I was so psyched to just discover that place! Although, my meat-eating husband opted for some other place to dine while I waited for my tofu sandwich! It was so good!

Gmburns2000

May 16, 2008, 1:20 PM
Post #18 of 42 (4280 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbeverything] The Gunks Deli [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbeverything wrote:
yea for breakfast go to tommy c's, or there is a bagel place in the stop n shop plaza, right after you get off the thruway. For dinner, go to the Brauh house or the gilded otter, both places have great burgers. stay away from the hippie deli. (not that there is anything wrong with hippies just the ones that own and work it)

From a recent trip report of mine titled "Good Crap, Bad Crap" regarding the Brauhaus:

"..."Rank", "Bulb", "KITT", and I went to a local German restaurant down the road from Slime to grab some grub when the following conversation took place:

- "KITT" (who is from Cologne, Germany): I'll have the such-in-such dish (he used the German pronunciation of a dish that he recognized from home - the waitress, clad in a heavy German dress, needed him to repeat it...twice).
- Me (when the dish arrived): Just like home is it?
- "KITT": Um, no.
- Me: Yeah, it's never like that. Ethnic restaurants always Americanize the dishes. Still, you recognized the dish on the menu, right?
- "KITT": Yeah. I certainly recognized the menu.
- Me: It must be somewhat similar then.
- "KITT": Actually, I have no fucking clue what I'm eating.

Note: this restaurant is apparently not very genuine. ..."

I've been there twice and have yet to see what all the hype is about. I went this last time because a friend recommended the burgers, but it still was only OK and definitely not worth recommending. I dunno, maybe my palette just doesn't fit there, because the place is usually pretty packed. Then again, I'm still stuck eating Lipton rice and a can of chicken in the parkling lot, so maybe my taste buds are punishing me for not giving them good food to begin with.

chillios

May 16, 2008, 1:35 PM
Post #19 of 42 (4264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Really funny. ... I had a very similar incident with the "ticket" last year ... I ended up having to order all over again. ... they ended up with an extra breakfast sandwich.
I really try to go elsewhere for breakfast now.

As far as the Brauhaus goes, the Spatzle is good (I have no idea what authentic Spatzle should taste like though), the beer is great and the staff is friendly.

Partner wormly81

May 16, 2008, 1:36 PM
Post #20 of 42 (4263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bacchus.

The staff is friendly. The beer is cold. They sell 3 tacos for 5 bucks and for another dollar fifty you get some good guacamole.

wonderwoman

May 16, 2008, 2:20 PM
Post #21 of 42 (4235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

really? I think they are way too expensive and the food ain't so great! Although the prices are lower in the bar area.

Partner happiegrrrl

May 16, 2008, 6:01 PM
Post #22 of 42 (4192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] The Gunks Deli [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

See?! Nobody agrees on anything!

I got an idea - What about a BYO Camp Slime Eat'n 'n Drink'n Cookoff and NonCooked Meal one Saturday night thins season? Maybe in June, since R&S is having the slideshows this month....

Everyone could bring some sort of food and/or drinks, and we could do a smorgaasbord.... and then hang out and have a non-deli porchlike experience.... I think it sounds FUN!!!! How about June 14th which, according to my calender, is Flag Day!?

I will bring chips and homemade guacamole, and also make refried beans, and sliced tomatoes, onions and grated cheese, so people can make a veggie-mexi-meal salad.

Gmburns2000

May 16, 2008, 6:09 PM
Post #23 of 42 (4184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] The Gunks Deli [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
See?! Nobody agrees on anything!

I got an idea - What about a BYO Camp Slime Eat'n 'n Drink'n Cookoff and NonCooked Meal one Saturday night thins season? Maybe in June, since R&S is having the slideshows this month....

Everyone could bring some sort of food and/or drinks, and we could do a smorgaasbord.... and then hang out and have a non-deli porchlike experience.... I think it sounds FUN!!!! How about June 14th which, according to my calender, is Flag Day!?

I will bring chips and homemade guacamole, and also make refried beans, and sliced tomatoes, onions and grated cheese, so people can make a veggie-mexi-meal salad.

I'll be on my way back from Yos that weekend, but the idea sounds interesting. Now we just have to ensure that non-participating climbers don't take up the spots at Slime. Might be a tough game to play, unless you want to move to my preferred eating venue: the rocks in the parking lot?

wonderwoman

May 16, 2008, 6:18 PM
Post #24 of 42 (4171 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] The Gunks Deli [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I may be up for a gunks pot-luck! Let me see what the date looks like for us.

I make a mean mango salsa!

Partner happiegrrrl

May 16, 2008, 6:32 PM
Post #25 of 42 (4156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Now we just have to ensure that non-participating climbers don't take up the spots at Slime. Might be a tough game to play, unless you want to move to my preferred eating venue: the rocks in the parking lot?

There's no way to commandeer Camp Slime, nor a need to, that I can think of. Although there are some sites that are more better for having room to deal with stuff.

Maybe we could hang out in that section that's .....sort of.... Eric's front yard - hahaha.

Or - and this is actually an idea - the little bouldering section that is just west of the campground. You head out the carriage road west past the bridge and before you come to the marked Millbrook Trail, there is an unmarked trail heading into the woods. It doesn't go up to the cliff. It goes to a band of rock that is about 15 feet tall.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook