Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

redpoint73

May 19, 2008, 6:42 PM
Post #26 of 77 (9173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
And when I was thinking of needing another water bottle recently, I didn't get another Nalgene, BPA-free or not. I got Sigg. Even more pricey and fancy, LOL...

And lined with plastic.

BPA-free, I know, but many folk have been turning to Sigg thinking they are plastic-free. Which they are not.

ja1484

May 19, 2008, 7:50 PM
Post #27 of 77 (9147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tigerlilly wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
Sad to see Nalgene cave to this nonsense. The research on bisphenol-A is pretty clear: It's about as harmful as Tylenol.

Can you point to where you got that info? I've been looking for something concrete amongst the media hype so I can decide for myself if my Nalgenes need to be replaced. Nothing beats data, preferably not from a study funded by one of the interested parties.

Btw, here's another chemical to watch out for:
http://www.gopetition.com/online/2479.html

Kathy Wink

The Wikipedia article on BPA has many references to scientific evidence on both sides of the debate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

Check the citations.

Bottom line is it's a pet-issue...we're exposed to far more toxic things in far greater quantities on an almost daily basis (UV rays? Car exhaust? etc.) BPA is just the latest poster-child for the Bug-Up-Our-Asses Environmental Weenies movement.

norcalocal

May 19, 2008, 8:21 PM
Post #28 of 77 (9138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scuclimber] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And, as a result, their net harm to the planet is more than if they had bought a used (or probably even new) simple gas Corolla or Civic.

Sorry, just had a snipe a bit in here. Tongue
Toyota Prius the claimed miracle environmental savior (for which privilege stupid people pay through the nose) has batteries which cannot be disposed of and which need a replacement with a new environmentally damaging and costly load after just few years!!! They may save 100 dollars in fuels per year, but cost $2000 in batteries and expensive maintenance per year. Not to mention that the new car cost same as a small sports luxury but behaves on the road like a cheap Korean compact. And what about the costly "fuel cell" or "hydrogen" cars or buses? All the retard greenies claim they run cheap emitting water - but do they tell us how cheaply the hydrogen is produced (how much oil is burnt to produce it), or what happens with the very nocive catalysts they need? Nope! And who ultimately and unwillingly pays for all these toys? We do, the honest hard working taxpayers in order to maintain a parasitics "green" industry of consultants and advisor's and grants.

and

Are you are aware that the author of the article published a follow up in the same publication admitting that the statistics he used to compare the Prius and Hummer are bogus?

I guess it's a good reason not to believe everything you read on the internet...then again?

tradklime

May 19, 2008, 9:04 PM
Post #29 of 77 (9120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
Sad to see Nalgene cave to this nonsense. The research on bisphenol-A is pretty clear: It's about as harmful as Tylenol.

We all due respect, ja1484, this is not a good analogy. Tylenol has harmful side effects, but it also has therapeutical benefits. Are there any benefits to BPA?
Also, when I take tylenol, I take it b/c the benefits outweigh the risks. However, I would not like tylenol added to my regular drinking water.

Perhaps a better anology is that it's about as harmful as soy.

scuclimber

May 19, 2008, 10:50 PM
Post #30 of 77 (9099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [norcalocal] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

norcalocal wrote:
In reply to:
And, as a result, their net harm to the planet is more than if they had bought a used (or probably even new) simple gas Corolla or Civic.

Sorry, just had a snipe a bit in here. Tongue
Toyota Prius the claimed miracle environmental savior (for which privilege stupid people pay through the nose) has batteries which cannot be disposed of and which need a replacement with a new environmentally damaging and costly load after just few years!!! They may save 100 dollars in fuels per year, but cost $2000 in batteries and expensive maintenance per year. Not to mention that the new car cost same as a small sports luxury but behaves on the road like a cheap Korean compact. And what about the costly "fuel cell" or "hydrogen" cars or buses? All the retard greenies claim they run cheap emitting water - but do they tell us how cheaply the hydrogen is produced (how much oil is burnt to produce it), or what happens with the very nocive catalysts they need? Nope! And who ultimately and unwillingly pays for all these toys? We do, the honest hard working taxpayers in order to maintain a parasitics "green" industry of consultants and advisor's and grants.

and

Are you are aware that the author of the article published a follow up in the same publication admitting that the statistics he used to compare the Prius and Hummer are bogus?

I guess it's a good reason not to believe everything you read on the internet...then again?

I don't know if you were agreeing or disagreeing with me. Please try to use reading comprehension when reading, and subsequently responding to, the posts of others.

scotchie

May 19, 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #31 of 77 (9099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [norcalocal] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"norcalocal wrote:
Toyota Prius the claimed miracle environmental savior (for which privilege stupid people pay through the nose) has batteries which cannot be disposed of and which need a replacement with a new environmentally damaging and costly load after just few years!!!

*cough* bullsh*t *cough*

NiMH batteries can be recycled and disposed of safely, and they are used in many applications besides automobiles. Not to mention, all cars contain hazardous materials, but there is already an established industry for disposing of them safely.

In reply to:
Not to mention that the new car cost same as a small sports luxury but behaves on the road like a cheap Korean compact.

Base price on a prius is $21k. Not the cheapest car on the market, but hardly a luxury car price.

In reply to:
And who ultimately and unwillingly pays for all these toys? We do, the honest hard working taxpayers in order to maintain a parasitics "green" industry of consultants and advisor's and grants.

Prius owners pay for their own cars. They don't get a tax write-off anymore.

But I'm sure that if you actually added up all the math, you probably pay more for a cup of coffee than you do for a year's worth of enviro incentives and research. We have 300 million people in the US, so a dollar or two per person goes a long way.

So Einstein, how else did you plan to deal with the fact that oil production is starting to level off, as evidenced by the constant increase in gas prices?

majid_sabet

May 19, 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #32 of 77 (9096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

was not there a recent recall on the plastic bottle material?.

lena_chita

May 20, 2008, 2:41 PM
Post #33 of 77 (9062 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpoint73] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redpoint73 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
And when I was thinking of needing another water bottle recently, I didn't get another Nalgene, BPA-free or not. I got Sigg. Even more pricey and fancy, LOL...

And lined with plastic.

BPA-free, I know, but many folk have been turning to Sigg thinking they are plastic-free. Which they are not.

No, not lined with plastic. It is more like ceramic than plastic. A matter of definition, I guess. And yes, still an synthetic artificial compound that may turn out to leach yet another dangerous chemical sometime down the road. I have contemplated using kleen kanteen (stainless) for this reason... If the store had carried them, i would have probably gotten stainless steel. And I still might get one... I do have couple thermoses... still good after ~12 years, and will probably keep going for 50 more, unless I lose them.

LOL, someone should tell MSR to start selling $50 titanium water bottles

gigz5

May 21, 2008, 8:59 PM
Post #34 of 77 (9024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My gramma never watched tv in her whole life, then we got her to watch cartoons, 8 months later we found out she got cancer.

I would have never guessed that cartoons cause cancer, but it obviously does.

You can connect anything to anything. I'll stick to my trusty 'ol water bottle.

gigz5

May 21, 2008, 9:16 PM
Post #35 of 77 (9018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scotchie] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scotchie wrote:
"norcalocal wrote:
Toyota Prius the claimed miracle environmental savior (for which privilege stupid people pay through the nose) has batteries which cannot be disposed of and which need a replacement with a new environmentally damaging and costly load after just few years!!!

*cough* bullsh*t *cough*

NiMH batteries can be recycled and disposed of safely, and they are used in many applications besides automobiles. Not to mention, all cars contain hazardous materials, but there is already an established industry for disposing of them safely.

In reply to:
Not to mention that the new car cost same as a small sports luxury but behaves on the road like a cheap Korean compact.

Base price on a prius is $21k. Not the cheapest car on the market, but hardly a luxury car price.

In reply to:
And who ultimately and unwillingly pays for all these toys? We do, the honest hard working taxpayers in order to maintain a parasitics "green" industry of consultants and advisor's and grants.

But I'm sure that if you actually added up all the math, you probably pay more for a cup of coffee than you do for a year's worth of enviro incentives and research. We have 300 million people in the US, so a dollar or two per person goes a long way.

So Einstein, how else did you plan to deal with the fact that oil production is starting to level off, as evidenced by the constant increase in gas prices?

The industry and factory build on's and the new machinary and processes that were needed to start these new divisions of "green" vehicle's, has caused enough polution that it would take 1,000,000 Prius's, driving 30,000 miles a year, 28 years to make up for the polution caused in their making.

Yes we do need to do something about oil, but doing things that look good that really aren't good, is not helping.

The technology we have now, I find it hard to believe we cannot come up with an alternative fuel source that won't either cause more damage than it fixes or cripple us agriculturally (ethanol).

scotchie

May 22, 2008, 7:56 PM
Post #36 of 77 (8966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gigz5] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gigz5 wrote:
scotchie wrote:
"norcalocal wrote:

*cough* bullsh*t *cough*

In reply to:

In reply to:

The industry and factory build on's and the new machinary and processes that were needed to start these new divisions of "green" vehicle's, has caused enough polution that it would take 1,000,000 Prius's, driving 30,000 miles a year, 28 years to make up for the polution caused in their making.

Yes we do need to do something about oil, but doing things that look good that really aren't good, is not helping.

The technology we have now, I find it hard to believe we cannot come up with an alternative fuel source that won't either cause more damage than it fixes or cripple us agriculturally (ethanol).

If it hadn't been for the Prius, Toyota would have built the same factory to manufacture some other type of automobile.

Even your statement that the gas savings is less than the initial cost is actually wrong. If you take the 2008 Civic vs Civic Hybrid, and assume you drive 15,000 miles per year, then at the current cost of $3.75/gallon, it would take about 14 years to break even. Fair enough.

BUT - For the last 5 years, gas prices have been increasing by an average of 22% per year. Taking this into account, the Civic Hybrid would pay for itself in a little over 6 years.

BUT - If you wait 6 years to buy the Hybrid, and gasoline continues to increase by 22% per year, then gas in 6 years would be over $12 per gallon. At that price, and assuming again a 22% per year increase after you purchase the car, the Hybrid would pay for itself in a bit over 3 years.

However, this analysis does not include the facts that the batteries have been getting cheaper over time, mass production will lower costs, and competition will lower costs. So over time, I believe that the premium you'll have to pay for a hybrid will be a lot less than it is now.

Of course, if gas prices go down or even stop increasing by so much, then you would be right. In that case, hybrids wouldn't make much sense, except as an enviro-fashion accessory.

redpoint73

May 22, 2008, 8:16 PM
Post #37 of 77 (8958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
redpoint73 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

And lined with plastic.

No, not lined with plastic. It is more like ceramic than plastic. A matter of definition, I guess. And yes, still an synthetic artificial compound that may turn out to leach yet another dangerous chemical sometime down the road. I have contemplated using kleen kanteen (stainless) for this reason... If the store had carried them, i would have probably gotten stainless steel. And I still might get one... I do have couple thermoses... still good after ~12 years, and will probably keep going for 50 more, unless I lose them.

LOL, someone should tell MSR to start selling $50 titanium water bottles

Where did you hear it was more like ceramic?

According do SIGG's website the composition of the liner is "secret" (which they refuse to divulge), although their literature states that its a water-based non-toxic polymer, and they also refer to it as a "lacquer".

A polymer is not necessarily plastic. Although it may be, or a similar substance. I guess we won't know, since its a "secret".

http://www.mysigg.com/...num%20SIGG%20bottle?

http://www.mysigg.com/...IGG_bottle_liner.pdf

shanz

May 22, 2008, 8:22 PM
Post #38 of 77 (8954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for all this green talk crap - ever think what impact every one of our climbing shoes and the rubber leaves behind - and what about the methane and hydrogen gas we as humans release everyday into the atmosphere(by farting-which we release once every 7 seconds) you want a vehicle that runs well invent one that has a commode that sucks the methane and hydrogen out of our asses so we can get to our local crag - now thats what i call stopping global warming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and for the record i buy my water bottles at wal-mart in the plastic bottle made from god knows what

(This post was edited by shanz on May 22, 2008, 8:28 PM)

WVUCLMBR

May 22, 2008, 8:28 PM
Post #39 of 77 (8948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shanz] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeeze stinky....you fart every 7 seconds?....WTF?

shanz

May 22, 2008, 8:32 PM
Post #40 of 77 (8945 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WVUCLMBR] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:
Jeeze stinky....you fart every 7 seconds?....WTF?

everyone does its a medical fact - every 7 seconds (or so)humans expel gas - roughly 95% of the time its so small you dont realize it happens..

nothing like degrading ones self to the discussion of flatulence

(This post was edited by shanz on May 22, 2008, 8:50 PM)

redpoint73

May 23, 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #41 of 77 (8892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shanz wrote:
for all this green talk crap - ever think what impact every one of our climbing shoes and the rubber leaves behind - and what about the methane and hydrogen gas we as humans release everyday into the atmosphere(by farting-which we release once every 7 seconds) you want a vehicle that runs well invent one that has a commode that sucks the methane and hydrogen out of our asses so we can get to our local crag - now thats what i call stopping global warming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and for the record i buy my water bottles at wal-mart in the plastic bottle made from god knows what

Are you even familiar with the issue????

It has little if nothing to do with the environment. Its a health issue (if an issue at all). The fear is people will have health effect from drinking from bottles which may be leeching BPA (which is highly debatable). That's not an environmental issue, thats a health issue.

dingus

May 23, 2008, 1:12 PM
Post #42 of 77 (8884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually its a religious issue. The folks who lament the passing of their BPA-laden water bottles link the trend to environmental initiatives, political correctness and the dreaded liberalism.

Its all a Giant Conspiracy you see....

DMT

redpoint73

May 23, 2008, 1:15 PM
Post #43 of 77 (8883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love how people can turn a discussion about a piece of plastic on a rock climbing website into a bipartisan issue.

wmfork

May 23, 2008, 2:28 PM
Post #44 of 77 (8865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shanz wrote:
you want a vehicle that runs well invent one that has a commode that sucks the methane and hydrogen out of our asses so we can get to our local crag - now thats what i call stopping global warming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been saying that all along. If you don't fart enough, buy some beans for your road trip!

wmfork

May 23, 2008, 2:39 PM
Post #45 of 77 (8863 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scotchie] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scotchie wrote:
Even your statement that the gas savings is less than the initial cost is actually wrong. If you take the 2008 Civic vs Civic Hybrid, and assume you drive 15,000 miles per year, then at the current cost of $3.75/gallon, it would take about 14 years to break even. Fair enough.

BUT - For the last 5 years, gas prices have been increasing by an average of 22% per year. Taking this into account, the Civic Hybrid would pay for itself in a little over 6 years.

BUT - If you wait 6 years to buy the Hybrid, and gasoline continues to increase by 22% per year, then gas in 6 years would be over $12 per gallon. At that price, and assuming again a 22% per year increase after you purchase the car, the Hybrid would pay for itself in a bit over 3 years.

However, this analysis does not include the facts that the batteries have been getting cheaper over time, mass production will lower costs, and competition will lower costs. So over time, I believe that the premium you'll have to pay for a hybrid will be a lot less than it is now.

Do you really think you'd still be driving 15,000 mile/yr if gas was $12/gallon? Battery technology unfortunately, hasn't exactly been developing at warp speed. Admit it, Prius doesn't make a whole lot of economic sense for most people who bought it.

However, higher gas prices is starting to have the effect of prompting car makers to build lighter and more fuel efficient vehicles at affordable prices.

scotchie

May 28, 2008, 6:34 PM
Post #46 of 77 (8761 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
scotchie wrote:

Do you really think you'd still be driving 15,000 mile/yr if gas was $12/gallon? Battery technology unfortunately, hasn't exactly been developing at warp speed. Admit it, Prius doesn't make a whole lot of economic sense for most people who bought it.

However, higher gas prices is starting to have the effect of prompting car makers to build lighter and more fuel efficient vehicles at affordable prices.

People still need to get to work and school, and it takes a lot fewer years to increase mpg than to reorganize how cities are laid out.

All things considered, the move to smaller cars is going to have a much bigger impact than hybrids, sure. But that doesn't mean that new technology doesn't help.

I reran my previous numbers with Prius vs Corolla (not really an exact comparison, since the Prius is roomier and has more features). The Prius pays for itself in a little more than half the time than Civic Hybrid does. So someone who bought a Prius today and kept it for a few years could have a reasonable expectation of saving a small amount of money.

Hybrids didn't make any economic sense for the people who first bought them a few years ago. Today, it's mostly a wash. But in a few years, they will make a lot of sense.

armsrforclimbing

May 28, 2008, 6:56 PM
Post #47 of 77 (8757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redpoint73 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

And lined with plastic.

This point certainly smacks of unwanted advice, and is also quite useless. Do you walk around the gym giving out beta unprompted also?

redpoint73

May 28, 2008, 7:20 PM
Post #48 of 77 (8744 views)
Shortcut

Re: [armsrforclimbing] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

armsrforclimbing wrote:
redpoint73 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

And lined with plastic.

This point certainly smacks of unwanted advice, and is also quite useless. Do you walk around the gym giving out beta unprompted also?

If you think its your job to make a smart comment every time someone gives unsolicited advice on this website, you have a lot of work on your hands.

Besides, I wasn't giving advice at all in this instance.

carabiner96

May 28, 2008, 7:50 PM
Post #49 of 77 (8741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redpoint73 wrote:
armsrforclimbing wrote:
redpoint73 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

And lined with plastic.

If you think its your job to make a smart comment every time someone gives unsolicited advice on this website, you have a lot of work on your hands.

It's not lined with plastic. While the reps won't say exactly what it is (sketchy) it is not plastic.

redpoint73

May 28, 2008, 7:56 PM
Post #50 of 77 (8737 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
redpoint73 wrote:
armsrforclimbing wrote:
redpoint73 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

And lined with plastic.

It's not lined with plastic. While the reps won't say exactly what it is (sketchy) it is not plastic.

I've discussed that already in a previous post above. armsforclimbing dug up an old post from 9 days ago for some reason.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook