RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

N_Oo_B

May 19, 2008, 3:36 AM
Post #1 of 20 (4020 views)
Shortcut

Skin Recovery - what's best?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I blasted my hands with 7 days of climbing in 8 days both indoors and outdoors. What happened is expected, pinkish, very thin skin that hurt like hell.

But, I have given my hands 6 days of rest (well, went to work, but still rest from climbing). I went out today and sent 3 routes, and in doing so ripped the new growth off 8 finger tips. =\

How can I increase recovery time?

If i wear gloves for work will the adverse moisture on my skin help or hurt?

Are certain foods or vitamins proven to speed things up?

(This post was edited by N_Oo_B on May 19, 2008, 3:40 AM)

MonkeyInTraining

May 19, 2008, 3:44 AM
Post #2 of 20 (4008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [N_Oo_B] Skin Recovery - what's best? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump

I have this problem as well and would like to know what to do besides stop climbing (thats a preemptive STFU for all you trolls that were going to answer with the obvious).

N_Oo_B

May 19, 2008, 3:45 AM
Post #3 of 20 (4006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

odyssey11

May 19, 2008, 10:39 AM
Post #4 of 20 (3949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is my first post but I think I am qualified to answer this being a nurse currently at a wound clinic.

Nutrition- You gotta have protein to heal skin. The appropriate amount is individual, but a general recommendation is 1 gram of protein/ kilogram of body weight.
Vitamins A, C, and B- complexes are all needed to repair skin. You don't have to supplement if you have a well balanced diet but if not, a multi vitamin can help.
Drink lots of water. General rec- (64ounces/day)

Rest- Pretty self explanatory. Keep pressure off the reddened areas. Don't wear tight clothes that could impede circulation.
You can still train. Cardiovascular workouts will increase circulation and promote healing. Sleep falls into this category as well. The body regenerates while you sleep so make sure you get enough. General rec for adults- (6-8 hrs/24hrs)

Moisture- Keep the skin moist. When you get out of the shower apply a non-fragrance lotion or thin layer of vasoline to trap in moisture. Same before bed.

Those are the basics for skin that is not broken. If you have open ares there are more things to consider (infection) but I'll leave that for another post.

Hope this helps!

dingus

May 19, 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #5 of 20 (3944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [odyssey11] Skin Recovery - what's best? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Put some Bag Balm on it.

Vasline works nearly as well.

DMT

kyote321

May 19, 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #6 of 20 (3935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bag balm

getout87

May 20, 2008, 7:23 PM
Post #7 of 20 (3820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyote321] Skin Recovery - what's best? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Joshua Tree Salve. Freaking miracle stuff. I use it for rock rash, mountain biking cuts and scrapes, blisters, even chap stick. Amazing stuff.

jon06

May 20, 2008, 7:36 PM
Post #8 of 20 (3817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

N_Oo_B wrote:

If i wear gloves for work will the adverse moisture on my skin help or hurt?

If you do construction related work, I would recommend not wearing gloves. I have found that climbing will rip the skin off regardless, but if you build up callouses swinging a hammer or digging trenches, you will be a lot better off.

shockabuku

May 20, 2008, 7:58 PM
Post #9 of 20 (3814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Burt's Bees shea butter hand repair creme. About $11/tube. Use about an inch morning and evening; enough to leave your hands feeling kind of greasy for about 30 min. I always had cracked fingertips until I started using this stuff and since then only once in about 6 months (during the winter). When your calluses start getting too thick and peeling, file them down with a 100 grit emory board (the kind chicks use for their fingernails - you can get washable ones at Sally's or some place like that).

joswald

May 20, 2008, 9:40 PM
Post #10 of 20 (3798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get climb on balm

ThaRiddla

May 22, 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #11 of 20 (3687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the recommendations above for bag balm, joshua tree, etc. I also have had great success with "Corn Husker's Lotion" if you can't find the other products locally. You can get this at just about any drug store for cheap. It moisturizes without leaving your skin greasy or softening your callouses. My fingers were cracking and not healing through the winter until i used this stuff...twice a day and my fingers healed so fast. It feels like you use way too much for about a minute then just soaks right in. It doesn't feel greasy or oily after that.

palidon11

May 22, 2008, 1:21 PM
Post #12 of 20 (3677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Skin Recovery - what's best? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

to be honest i don't think bag balm is the best. i mean, bag balm really IS the best, but i've found in the past it makes my skin TOO soft, which is why i stopped using it. my skin tore open with relative ease, it didn't hurt much but it took quite a while to heal.

maybe what happened to me was abnormal, but it kind of pissed me off at the time.

bustloose

May 22, 2008, 7:58 PM
Post #13 of 20 (3634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [palidon11] Skin Recovery - what's best? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

before gonig to bed put a heavy dose of unperfumed lotion on your hands, then put on rubber gloves, tepe em up at the wrist and by morning, you'll be good as new...

shockabuku

May 22, 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #14 of 20 (3605 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bustloose] Skin Recovery - what's best? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
before gonig to bed put a heavy dose of unperfumed lotion on your hands, then put on rubber gloves, tepe em up at the wrist and by morning, you'll be good as new...

Yeah, that sounds like fun. I guess if you have an inflatable girlfriend it's all good.Tongue

MonkeyInTraining

May 22, 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #15 of 20 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you all for the good info. I will try these things. I dont like the greasy feeling of lotion but I guess I have no chioce.

dingus

May 23, 2008, 2:55 AM
Post #16 of 20 (3555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [palidon11] Skin Recovery - what's best? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just like saying, 'put some bag balm on it.'

A few years back Burl and I were smokin it up with a tweaker pal of his from Stockton. We were talking about climbing and hamburger hands. The Tweaker told us his cat tangled with a oppossum in the backyard and got a hole ripped it's throat.

"I just put some Bag Balm on it and forgot about it. Cat was good as new in about a week!" He assured us with his eyes shining of Everlasting Truth. You know how Tweakers tend to get...

He concluded about our hands with surety,

"Put some Bag Balm on it."

Periodically thereafter, when one of us got hurt, didn't matter what it was, stubbed toe, broken neck, lacerated tendon, headache, hangover, hangnail, WHATTHEFUCKEVER!

"Just put some Bag Balm on it Dingus."

Always seemed to lift the moment, nawmean?

Cheerio
DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on May 23, 2008, 2:56 AM)

bender

Jun 6, 2008, 6:57 PM
Post #17 of 20 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

odyssey11 wrote:
This is my first post but I think I am qualified to answer this being a nurse currently at a wound clinic.

Nutrition- You gotta have protein to heal skin. The appropriate amount is individual, but a general recommendation is 1 gram of protein/ kilogram of body weight.
Vitamins A, C, and B- complexes are all needed to repair skin. You don't have to supplement if you have a well balanced diet but if not, a multi vitamin can help.

Rest- Pretty self explanatory. Keep pressure off the reddened areas. Don't wear tight clothes that could impede circulation.
You can still train. Cardiovascular workouts will increase circulation and promote healing. Sleep falls into this category as well. The body regenerates while you sleep so make sure you get enough. General rec for adults- (6-8 hrs/24hrs)

Moisture- Keep the skin moist. When you get out of the shower apply a non-fragrance lotion or thin layer of vasoline to trap in moisture. Same before bed.

Those are the basics for skin that is not broken. If you have open ares there are more things to consider (infection) but I'll leave that for another post.

Hope this helps!

only those seeking the answer

make sure your getting your trace minerals and omega fatty acids; sleep 8 to 10 hours a night; cut out carbonated drinks; migrate your protein consumption after climbing and skin damage to whole grains and vegtables

these are the best remedies

UttarUkaalo

Jun 8, 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #18 of 20 (3189 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bender] Skin Recovery - what's best? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I used to row competitive 8s we applied Methylated or Surgical Spirits to our hands twice a day and that built up calluses really quick. Otherwise you get blisters really quick from swiveling your blades. Still works for me and my friends always say they would hate to be bitch slapped by me.Sly

curt

Jun 9, 2008, 1:55 AM
Post #19 of 20 (3144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Skin Recovery - what's best? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Put some Bag Balm on it.

Vasline works nearly as well.

DMT

When I was a competitive gymnast in the 70s, Vaseline was all we had. These days, Bag Balm, Joshua Tree Hand Salve and Burts Bees Salve are all somewhat better. Bag Balm might be a bit better than the other two--but the stuff stinks like kerosene, so I prefer the J.T. Hand salve or Burts Bees myself.

Curt

grubbjasona

Jun 9, 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #20 of 20 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I highly recommend ClimbOn Bar... of course, I'm from Austin where this stuff is made, (wimberley actually, but same place basically) so I'm partial.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook