Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

kyote321

May 28, 2008, 8:17 PM
Post #51 of 77 (8494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpoint73] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

still rollin with the old-skool sigg bottles. i like the taste of aluminum! tastes so much better than plastic.

new-skool diesels like the VW are really much more efficient than hybrids for highway and weight purposes (like climbing trips) but with few options and a conspiracy to hike the price of diesel, they are impractical.

i want an electric car. oil is a limited resource. no matter how efficient vehicles become, it will always be declining.

can we make cars that run off of old nalgenes? Cool

curtis_g

May 28, 2008, 9:18 PM
Post #52 of 77 (8485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gigz5] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gigz5 wrote:
Yes we do need to do something about oil, but doing things that look good that really aren't good, is not helping.

The technology we have now, I find it hard to believe we cannot come up with an alternative fuel source that won't either cause more damage than it fixes or cripple us agriculturally (ethanol).

An aritcle on Bio-Fuels and their future.
Attachments: Goffinski - ME300 Term Paper.pdf (69.2 KB)

tradklime

May 28, 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #53 of 77 (8477 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scotchie] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scotchie wrote:
wmfork wrote:
scotchie wrote:
Even your statement that the gas savings is less than the initial cost is actually wrong. If you take the 2008 Civic vs Civic Hybrid, and assume you drive 15,000 miles per year, then at the current cost of $3.75/gallon, it would take about 14 years to break even. Fair enough.

BUT - For the last 5 years, gas prices have been increasing by an average of 22% per year. Taking this into account, the Civic Hybrid would pay for itself in a little over 6 years.

BUT - If you wait 6 years to buy the Hybrid, and gasoline continues to increase by 22% per year, then gas in 6 years would be over $12 per gallon. At that price, and assuming again a 22% per year increase after you purchase the car, the Hybrid would pay for itself in a bit over 3 years.

However, this analysis does not include the facts that the batteries have been getting cheaper over time, mass production will lower costs, and competition will lower costs. So over time, I believe that the premium you'll have to pay for a hybrid will be a lot less than it is now.

Do you really think you'd still be driving 15,000 mile/yr if gas was $12/gallon? Battery technology unfortunately, hasn't exactly been developing at warp speed. Admit it, Prius doesn't make a whole lot of economic sense for most people who bought it.

However, higher gas prices is starting to have the effect of prompting car makers to build lighter and more fuel efficient vehicles at affordable prices.

People still need to get to work and school, and it takes a lot fewer years to increase mpg than to reorganize how cities are laid out.

All things considered, the move to smaller cars is going to have a much bigger impact than hybrids, sure. But that doesn't mean that new technology doesn't help.

I reran my previous numbers with Prius vs Corolla (not really an exact comparison, since the Prius is roomier and has more features). The Prius pays for itself in a little more than half the time than Civic Hybrid does. So someone who bought a Prius today and kept it for a few years could have a reasonable expectation of saving a small amount of money.

Hybrids didn't make any economic sense for the people who first bought them a few years ago. Today, it's mostly a wash. But in a few years, they will make a lot of sense.

Your economic analysis neglects lost opportunity on the additional money initially invested in the more expensive vehicle, and the finance charges.

Your environmental analysis neglects the additional environmental impact of manufacturing more complicated machines. More parts made initially, more long term maintenance, more replacement parts manufactured, etc. Regarding batteries, recycling or not, there is still the environmental impact of mining the additional metals, manufacturing of the chemicals, etc. Not to mention recycling itself has an environmental impact and doesn't reclaim 100%.

Your corolla/ prius comparison is a good one. With a real world mileage comparison of about 47 mpg for the prius and the high 30's for the corolla, how does the $ work out? What if your corolla was a PZEV, how does the environmental impact work out?

Hybrids don't currently make sense, and I'll be surprised if they ever do, other than as a gateway to people's acceptance of plug-in electric cars.

Climbnkev

May 29, 2008, 4:14 AM
Post #54 of 77 (8454 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradklime] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The first studies of the dangerous effects of BPA were released in 1985, when it was discovered to be a synthetic estrogen. Of course a decrease in reproductivity, decrease in male sex organ size and increased cervical cancer in female rats couldn't have similar effects in humans. There have only been a few hundred studies to show these effects in the last 23 years. The idea that this is some recent event is like saying it was just discovered that smoking kills you. Some people still believe tobacco is safe though.....

The debate on the questionable economics of hybrids is not taking into account the increased environmental impact of standard vehicles, which is not even factored into the equation. So if you only think with your wallet then maybe you should drive around in a Geo Metro. For those of us who see that fossil fuel emmisions in the US are a serious problem then the additional cost of hybrids becomes more economical. I suppose you could supply yourself with a whole bunch of cigarettes to smoke in your Metro though......I am guessing you also believe that global warming is a hoax inspired by "Greenies" to sell more hybrids right?

gigz5

May 29, 2008, 4:49 AM
Post #55 of 77 (8448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curtis_g] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curtis_g wrote:
gigz5 wrote:
Yes we do need to do something about oil, but doing things that look good that really aren't good, is not helping.

The technology we have now, I find it hard to believe we cannot come up with an alternative fuel source that won't either cause more damage than it fixes or cripple us agriculturally (ethanol).

Well researched, its nice to see there are some promising advancements. Its funny, in that it seems to me, that any new advancements don't seem to take off until those with money, i.e. oil execs & government, can find a way to make money on it or tax it, then it seems to find its way to the main stream.

Well written and definately educational for me. It's frustraiting that of the 3 major sources of ethanol, we produce and use the one that is driving food & produce costs up. Granted ethanol from alge appears to be fairly new, but, if I read that right, sugar cane isn't.

josephgdawson

May 29, 2008, 6:07 AM
Post #56 of 77 (8446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
Sad to see Nalgene cave to this nonsense. The research on bisphenol-A is pretty clear: It's about as harmful as Tylenol.

Facts be damned, it is about the seriousness of the charge.

curtis_g

May 29, 2008, 6:34 AM
Post #57 of 77 (8441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gigz5 wrote:
curtis_g wrote:
gigz5 wrote:

Well researched, its nice to see there are some promising advancements. Its funny, in that it seems to me, that any new advancements don't seem to take off until those with money, i.e. oil execs & government, can find a way to make money on it or tax it, then it seems to find its way to the main stream.

Well written and definately educational for me. It's frustraiting that of the 3 major sources of ethanol, we produce and use the one that is driving food & produce costs up. Granted ethanol from alge appears to be fairly new, but, if I read that right, sugar cane isn't.

Cane sugar is very well researched and accounts for at least 20% of all transportation fuels for Brazil currently. There is still some food and feed industry competition when it comes to cane sugar, but not nearly as significant as corn based ethanol. The reason corn was used first in the US is due to it's availability. This is also why us in the Midwest US have seen E85 ethanol at the pump for about a year now. (Gas City pumps most predominately). Cellulosic ethanol from plant waste is the second generation of ethanol biofuels that can currently see it's future. Algal...well, that might still be a bit of science fiction, or at least well over a decade away as the required technology is still a very immature work in progress. Also, the infrastructure won't begin to be developed or invested in until the technology is proven and tested and people can embrace it as well.

So, a decade before we're splitting transportation fuels significantly (25%-50%) with ethanol biofuels. I would put algal biofuels or a heavy dependence (>50%) on biofuels in general closer to the two decade mark.

Thanks for letting me hijack this thread. Peace.

carabiner96

May 29, 2008, 1:06 PM
Post #58 of 77 (8429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [josephgdawson] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

josephgdawson wrote:

Facts be damned
In reply to:

Wise man, right here.

redpoint73

May 29, 2008, 1:12 PM
Post #59 of 77 (8424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curtis_g wrote:
gigz5 wrote:
curtis_g wrote:
gigz5 wrote:

Cane sugar is very well researched and accounts for at least 20% of all transportation fuels for Brazil currently. There is still some food and feed industry competition when it comes to cane sugar, but not nearly as significant as corn based ethanol. The reason corn was used first in the US is due to it's availability. This is also why us in the Midwest US have seen E85 ethanol at the pump for about a year now. (Gas City pumps most predominately). Cellulosic ethanol from plant waste is the second generation of ethanol biofuels that can currently see it's future. Algal...well, that might still be a bit of science fiction, or at least well over a decade away as the required technology is still a very immature work in progress. Also, the infrastructure won't begin to be developed or invested in until the technology is proven and tested and people can embrace it as well.

So, a decade before we're splitting transportation fuels significantly (25%-50%) with ethanol biofuels. I would put algal biofuels or a heavy dependence (>50%) on biofuels in general closer to the two decade mark.

Thanks for letting me hijack this thread. Peace.

Isn't switch grass better than any of these (cane, corn). Or does switch grass fall under the categoy "cellulosic ethanol from plant waste" (cuz I don't even know what that means).

Switch grass takes little maintenance, regrows (does not need to be planted like corn), requires little water, and is drought resistant.

I'm no expert on the subject by any stretch. This is just from hearing others talk about it.

kyote321

May 29, 2008, 1:30 PM
Post #60 of 77 (8421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the problem with corn is that to produce it in the quantities that we are required or even considered normal these days, one needs to use a lot of psticides. pesticides are oil-based.

ethanol is a net-loss if you are trying to save oil. you put more in than you get out.

americans are obsessed with corn because it is what has been pushed on us. mostly for food and yummy things like high fructose corn syrup, which the brain doesn't even recognize as food so the body keeps consuming more and more.

yes, there are other fuels like cane sugar and switch grass that don't create a loss, but americans have bought corn, hook line and sinker. we've literally sold the farm for agriculture lobbies and big oil.

(This post was edited by kyote321 on May 29, 2008, 1:33 PM)

redpoint73

May 29, 2008, 2:50 PM
Post #61 of 77 (8410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyote321] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Corn also requires much more labor, since it needs to be planted yearly (does not regrow or reseed itself), and is much harder to harvest then other solution. Plus, it requires lot of water.

It seems the main reason the US is using corn-based ethanol is because of the existing corn farmers, which were previously struggling. Maintaining the status quo to keep the voter base happy, politic as usual.

dynosore

May 29, 2008, 2:59 PM
Post #62 of 77 (8406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure the lawyers are licking their chops over the prospect of all the BPA class action lawsuits. If you live in a city, the air you breathe every day is far more harmful to you than BPA will ever be. How many of the BPA fearing loonies even know what it is? I've worked with the material and some of its synthesis products, and it's way down on the list of things I would worry about. ALL plastic containers are going to leach some chemicals into whatever they contain, BPA is one of the last ones I'd worry about. So use metal containers if you really worry. Oh wait, aluminum causes Alzheimer's, right? Stainless steel has chrome in it....and your water has arsenic, chlorine, and lead LOL.

tradklime

May 29, 2008, 3:09 PM
Post #63 of 77 (8399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Climbnkev] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbnkev wrote:
The first studies of the dangerous effects of BPA were released in 1985, when it was discovered to be a synthetic estrogen.
Yup, much like soy. I guess we all need to decide how much of a risk it poses. For adults, the studies don't indicate real risk. But go ahead and buy a bunch of new water bottles, 'cause there is certainly no envoironmental impact associated with consumerism.

In reply to:
For those of us who see that fossil fuel emmisions in the US are a serious problem then the additional cost of hybrids becomes more economical.
There are many PZEV's available, that rely on much less complex drive trains. The point is that tail pipe emissions aren't the only environmental impact associated with vehicles.

In reply to:
I am guessing you also believe that global warming is a hoax inspired by "Greenies" to sell more hybrids right?
There is not much of a debate that the earth is currently on a warming trend. Whether that trend in anthropogenic is another question, one that can not be conclusively answered at this time. Now tell me again, does the increase in CO2 cause the earth's temperature to rise or does the the increase in temperature cause the CO2 to rise...?

wmfork

May 29, 2008, 3:30 PM
Post #64 of 77 (8385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gigz5 wrote:
curtis_g wrote:
Well written and definately educational for me.

Besides omitting the little side notes of how Brazil has been deforesting the amazon at a very destructive rate to create more farm land, the rising food prices caused by production of ethanol, the amount of new farm land and federal subsidy (tax dollars) needed to increase ethanol production, etc, etc, etc.

dynosore

May 29, 2008, 3:42 PM
Post #65 of 77 (8382 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Climbnkev] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbnkev wrote:
The debate on the questionable economics of hybrids is not taking into account the increased environmental impact of standard vehicles, which is not even factored into the equation. So if you only think with your wallet then maybe you should drive around in a Geo Metro. For those of us who see that fossil fuel emmisions in the US are a serious problem then the additional cost of hybrids becomes more economical. I suppose you could supply yourself with a whole bunch of cigarettes to smoke in your Metro though......I am guessing you also believe that global warming is a hoax inspired by "Greenies" to sell more hybrids right?

The Prius causes more environmental damage and uses more energy over its life cycle than a Hummer! Don't believe it, read the links. This automotive marketing group has no bias or vested interest, they just reported the facts. Are liberal tree hugger types ever right about anything? Nope.

The Prius registered an energy-cost average of $3.25 per mile driven over its expected
life span of 100,000 miles. Ironically, a Hummer, the brooding giant that has become the
bête noir of the green movement, did much better, with an energy-cost average of $1.95
over its expected life span of 300,000 miles. And its crash protection makes it far safer
than the tiny Prius

http://www.cnwmr.com/...ius%20Commentary.pdf

http://www.cnwmr.com/...er/automotiveenergy/

curtis_g

May 29, 2008, 3:52 PM
Post #66 of 77 (8378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
gigz5 wrote:
curtis_g wrote:
Well written and definately educational for me.

Besides omitting the little side notes of how Brazil has been deforesting the amazon at a very destructive rate to create more farm land, the rising food prices caused by production of ethanol, the amount of new farm land and federal subsidy (tax dollars) needed to increase ethanol production, etc, etc, etc.

You should have read the article first, or maybe with your comprehension skills, reading it twice would have been in order.

First, this was an article on biofuels, not deforestation. With said alleged deforestation (that's such a significant impact in relation to the size of the Amazon? (citation?)), we're only losing species diversity. Sure we're killing undiscovered plants that might cure AIDS or something, but the rain forest is actually carbon neutral itself...not the whole LUNGS OF THE WORLD we once thought.

Secondly, I spent quite some time discussing the federal and private funding of these projects and research including subsidies and the evolution of the investors' outlooks on the future of biofuels.

Third, for each category of biofuels I introduced, I weighted pro/con the yield/acre of each crop. Also discussed was the cons of corn based ethanol as well as cane sugar's (lower) competition with the food and feed markets causing prices to rise across the board subsequently causing corn ethanol prices to rise competitive to gasoline's price tag.

It's just too bad all this wasn't discussed in the first and last 5 sentences which is probably all you read before you made your misinformed statements.

To answer some other questions: Yes, switch grass is a second generation ethanol source that is called cellulosic ethanol made from basically any organic plant material. And yes, cane sugar could just as well be used in the US as Brazil is making a model of, but the real future for reducing the carbon footprint and decreasing the fossil fuel : refined fuel ratio is in second generation (cellulosic/plant waste/switch grass) ethanol technologies.

(I forget the actual numbers, but they are cited in the article, that for gasoline this ratio is around 1.2:1 while for corn ethanol it is nearing 1:1 with technological advances. Second gen ethanol would not require the planting and upkeep of corn or cane sugar)

scotchie

May 29, 2008, 4:59 PM
Post #67 of 77 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradklime] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradklime wrote:
scotchie wrote:
wmfork wrote:
scotchie wrote:
Even your statement that the gas savings is less than the initial cost is actually wrong. If you take the 2008 Civic vs Civic Hybrid, and assume you drive 15,000 miles per year, then at the current cost of $3.75/gallon, it would take about 14 years to break even. Fair enough.

BUT - For the last 5 years, gas prices have been increasing by an average of 22% per year. Taking this into account, the Civic Hybrid would pay for itself in a little over 6 years.

BUT - If you wait 6 years to buy the Hybrid, and gasoline continues to increase by 22% per year, then gas in 6 years would be over $12 per gallon. At that price, and assuming again a 22% per year increase after you purchase the car, the Hybrid would pay for itself in a bit over 3 years.

However, this analysis does not include the facts that the batteries have been getting cheaper over time, mass production will lower costs, and competition will lower costs. So over time, I believe that the premium you'll have to pay for a hybrid will be a lot less than it is now.

Do you really think you'd still be driving 15,000 mile/yr if gas was $12/gallon? Battery technology unfortunately, hasn't exactly been developing at warp speed. Admit it, Prius doesn't make a whole lot of economic sense for most people who bought it.

However, higher gas prices is starting to have the effect of prompting car makers to build lighter and more fuel efficient vehicles at affordable prices.

People still need to get to work and school, and it takes a lot fewer years to increase mpg than to reorganize how cities are laid out.

All things considered, the move to smaller cars is going to have a much bigger impact than hybrids, sure. But that doesn't mean that new technology doesn't help.

I reran my previous numbers with Prius vs Corolla (not really an exact comparison, since the Prius is roomier and has more features). The Prius pays for itself in a little more than half the time than Civic Hybrid does. So someone who bought a Prius today and kept it for a few years could have a reasonable expectation of saving a small amount of money.

Hybrids didn't make any economic sense for the people who first bought them a few years ago. Today, it's mostly a wash. But in a few years, they will make a lot of sense.

Your economic analysis neglects lost opportunity on the additional money initially invested in the more expensive vehicle, and the finance charges.

Your environmental analysis neglects the additional environmental impact of manufacturing more complicated machines. More parts made initially, more long term maintenance, more replacement parts manufactured, etc. Regarding batteries, recycling or not, there is still the environmental impact of mining the additional metals, manufacturing of the chemicals, etc. Not to mention recycling itself has an environmental impact and doesn't reclaim 100%.

Your corolla/ prius comparison is a good one. With a real world mileage comparison of about 47 mpg for the prius and the high 30's for the corolla, how does the $ work out? What if your corolla was a PZEV, how does the environmental impact work out?

Hybrids don't currently make sense, and I'll be surprised if they ever do, other than as a gateway to people's acceptance of plug-in electric cars.

Ah, opportunity cost. What do you suggest I invest in? Oil futures, maybe?

So what non-hybrid PZEV vehicles are available on the market? This is something I would pay for (no economic payoff, but peace of mind).

Electric cars were tried and discarded 10 years ago. They only get ~100 miles and then take several hours to charge. Not practical for most people.

For most people with a reasonable length commute, plug-in hybrids will use no gasoline for about half or more of their driving, and they'll still be able to use gasoline on road trips. Electricity costs a lot less than equivalent energy of gasoline, and even though electric generating capacity would need to increase, there is presently much less shortage of supply than there is with oil.

I believe that in the future, auto companies will replace the current engines that are designed to operate under a large range of RPM's and torques, and go to an engine that is designed only as a battery recharger. That should simplify the design of the gas engine and reduce the overall cost of the hybrid.

And there are also weight-saving materials and improved wind and rolling resistance that could be used.

I want one of these: http://www.aptera.com/

redpoint73

May 29, 2008, 5:11 PM
Post #68 of 77 (8363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scotchie wrote:
So what non-hybrid PZEV vehicles are available on the market? This is something I would pay for (no economic payoff, but peace of mind).

Here you go:

http://www.driveclean.ca.gov/...asp?vehicletypeid=16

Wow, there really are quite a few!

redpoint73

May 29, 2008, 5:20 PM
Post #69 of 77 (8357 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
I'm sure the lawyers are licking their chops over the prospect of all the BPA class action lawsuits.

There is already a class-action suit in California started by a mother that was using a BPA-made bottle to feed her baby. I'm sure there are plenty more lawsuits on the way.

Ridiculous? Probably.

tradklime

May 29, 2008, 5:44 PM
Post #70 of 77 (8350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scotchie wrote:
Electric cars were tried and discarded 10 years ago. They only get ~100 miles and then take several hours to charge. Not practical for most people.

Fair enough, I should have been more specific. I should have said "parallel" hybrid vehicles that are currently on the market today don't make sense. A plug in electric car with a back-up "series" hybrid system for extending vehicle range does make sense.

It seems we agree on that part.

Batteries will get better, most people could accomplish 95% of their driving under electric power.

sungam

May 29, 2008, 6:26 PM
Post #71 of 77 (8345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curtis_g wrote:
gigz5 wrote:

I didn't read the whole thing, but the general gyst that I got from it was blends of around 10% ethanol were the only practical ideas. Pretty accurate- there just isn't enough arible land (even if it was all put towards it) to supply enough ethanol to replace petrolium.

curtis_g

May 29, 2008, 6:51 PM
Post #72 of 77 (8341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
curtis_g wrote:
gigz5 wrote:

I didn't read the whole thing, but the general gyst that I got from it was blends of around 10% ethanol were the only practical ideas. Pretty accurate- there just isn't enough arible land (even if it was all put towards it) to supply enough ethanol to replace petrolium.

For now our 15% or so blends of ethanol (that all you unsuspecting pump goers are already getting) in our 'gasoline' is pretty much all the cars on the road today can handle. In ten years, the new "flex-fuel" cars today will be the beaters on the road, and it's these cars that today are meant to be mixed 50/50 with the E85 (85% ethanol - if you know your fractions, this mixed with our 15% ethanol 'gasoline' at the pump makes the 50/50 blend).

In summary: The change we needed 10 years ago won't even BEGIN to be be realized for another frustratingly long 10 years.

wmfork

Jun 10, 2008, 2:40 AM
Post #73 of 77 (8154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curtis_g wrote:
You should have read the article first, or maybe with your comprehension skills, reading it twice would have been in order.
May be if you had presented something a little more substantial than an amateurish college term paper... You have, in your paper, presented neither an argument for or against any current policies; often quoted sensational comments from sources instead of providing any analysis of the studies. Your conclusion completely switched topic to automobiles. Do I really need to go on?

Since you are in academia, then you certainly have heard the stories of some poor soul having his publication rejected. When the reviewer was confronted by the fact he did not read the whole thing, he simply said one DOES NOT need to read the entire publication to know it's not up to the standard.

curtis_g

Jun 10, 2008, 1:54 PM
Post #74 of 77 (8101 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] Beta: New Nalgene w/o BPA - "Nalgene EveryDay" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
curtis_g wrote:
May be if you had presented something a little more substantial than an amateurish college term paper... You have, in your paper, presented neither an argument for or against any current policies; often quoted sensational comments from sources instead of providing any analysis of the studies. Your conclusion completely switched topic to automobiles. Do I really need to go on?

Since you are in academia, then you certainly have heard the stories of some poor soul having his publication rejected. When the reviewer was confronted by the fact he did not read the whole thing, he simply said one DOES NOT need to read the entire publication to know it's not up to the standard.

Ok, well when some mightier than thou rc.com user posts criticisms about my paper that are blatantly FALSE, I will call you out. In each of those comments you made about my alleged 'omissions' I have shown that, in fact, I did discuss such topics.

Maybe if you knew how to spell maybe people would take you for someone who ever WAS in academia.

I'm not asking for your almighty approval, just posted a paper. And yes, this term paper did need to fit certain structural guidelines and yes, I did do this in two days, and no, two days is not two years to conduct my own research and studies and come to my own earth shattering conclusions. "DOES NOT need to read the entire publication" YES, you do...if you're going to try and be a bastard and tell me what I didn't include.

You are pompous AND ignorant AND you said things that were blatantly false without having read the article...and you have bad grammar.

wmfork

Jun 10, 2008, 4:18 PM
Post #75 of 77 (8090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curtis_g wrote:
I did do this in two days, and no, two days is not two years to conduct my own research and studies and come to my own earth shattering conclusions.
One of the top rules of academic research to NOT ask someone to read something you have NOT dedicated a lot of effort to. That is an uttermost insult to other people's time. You linked your paper, which by your own admission, you have only spent 2 days on, and asked everyone to read it without explicitly indicating who wrote it and under what context it was written. Then when I criticized the content, you have the gall to be extremely defensive and tries to belittle me. Many papers with a lot more research effort has been shredded apart because of one critical error in methodology, you really think your 2 day effort is beyond criticism?

If you are doing a survey paper on an topic, you do not need to conduct your own original research on the topic, but you DO need to actually have read the work you cited critically, not merely quoting the source as you have done.

You obviously also lack the skill in rebuttal, since your reply to me merely said, I quote: " I have shown that, in fact, I did discuss such topics", but provided no links nor citation to your own paper on where you have made those discussion. So tell me, on which page and which paragraph did you either comment on the effect of amazonian deforestation or provided clear citations of existing research on the topic?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook