RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

jhump

Oct 16, 2002, 1:01 AM
Post #1 of 10 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Training Heart Rate with a Monitor
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Who out there wears a heart monitor during cardio. I have been doing this for five months now and have seen tremendous gains. Right now I am in the power endurance phase of my training cycle, which is characterized by working at heart rates near or above my anaerobic threshold (around 180 BPM). Has anyone had luck with these Twightian cycles in increased performance in the mountains?

jhump

Oct 16, 2002, 1:04 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Training Heart Rate with a Monitor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorite is to throw on a 40 lb pack, mountain boots, headphones, and hit the stepper. This targets the muscles that are stressed in mountain travel and blasts your cardio. I look like I took a shower when I'm done.

ajkclay

Oct 16, 2002, 1:20 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, it works well.
One thing you will find after using your HRM for a while is that you will no longer need it. A large number of elite athletes do not use HRM's as they are so attuned to their body that they use what is called perceived exertion. They know what their heart rate is by the way they feel, and can tell you within 1-2 BPM.
The biggest thing here is to be totally honest with yourself about how you are feeling, and not over-exaggerate the amount of stress you are under, and this is where the benefit of HRM's really are, if it says you are working in say, zone 3, you can't really argue.

inf11b

Oct 25, 2002, 7:40 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Want a real cardio workout, do what they taught us in the army, put 60-80lbs (seriously!!) in your bag then try to go 10K (about 6 miles)in the fastest time possible. Should be done in a split run/powerwalk. Minimum time should be about an hour and a half. Thats a good workout

chuckd278

Oct 25, 2002, 12:28 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with ajkclay. I used to be a road cyclist and used a heart rate monitor for only my base training. It helps you stay in a level for a period of time and let you adjust as needed. After my base training for the season was over I would use it on recovery days when I only needed to workout below a certain rate. In season I could feelmy recovery times during the races getting shorter and I was able to control my efforts better just by the why I knew I felt. They work great but just don't expect them to help you get in shape for the type of activity you want unless you target your training for that use. I hope this makes some sense.

Chuck

overlord

Oct 31, 2002, 1:29 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i also use a monitor while running or cycling. it helps you maintain a level pressure on your cardiovascular system, thus improving your training.

CLIMB ON

gblauer

Oct 31, 2002, 2:00 PM
Post #7 of 10 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a monitor for cardio (stair master) fitness. It really helps establish baseline level of effort, otherwise I typically exceed the target range for my age/gender. I also like to use it to see how much effort I am exerting in other sports (like kayaking, skiing etc). It is surprising how much aerobic benefit you can get out of "non cardio" activities. I have yet to bring it to the gym/or outside to see what happens when I climb...I am curious.

[ This Message was edited by: gblauer on 2002-10-31 06:02 ]

meataxe

Nov 1, 2002, 12:42 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used a HR monitor for cycling and it is a good training tool. I would not train for any sustained period above my AT.

This is the territory for intervals (maybe that's what you are already doing). Do intervals -- 1 minute at peak effort, then drop down to an easy pace (60% max HR) for 2 min -- repeat. You can do longer or shorter intervals -- seek out a coach or training book.

Sustained effort at or just below your AT is good for power endurance. This is like a time-trial in cycling.

Long sustained effort at an easier pace (65-70%) is best for building pure endurance. How you put these elements together is important so read up.

This all applies to cycling or running (or XC-ski for that matter).

One final warning -- keep a training diary and be sure not to overdo it... I did and I got injured. :-(

boltakrak

Nov 1, 2002, 1:00 AM
Post #9 of 10 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone that would wear a heart moniter is a feaking moron, what type of knob wears a heart moniter??!!??!!

k9rocko

Nov 1, 2002, 1:18 AM
Post #10 of 10 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what type of knob wears a heart moniter

one that can spell...

[ This Message was edited by: k9rocko on 2002-10-31 17:19 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook