Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Height: Are tall climbers actually more disadvantaged?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Partner angry

Jan 24, 2008, 4:56 PM
Post #201 of 213 (3838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Height: Are tall climbers actually more disadvantaged? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ptftw!!

wmfork

Jan 24, 2008, 5:03 PM
Post #202 of 213 (3832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] Height: Are tall climbers actually more disadvantaged? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
And it may not be an accident that all of those folks have made their careers well outside the gym, notably in bouldering or trad climbing in the case of Potter, where height can often work to advantage due to the popularity of big span and dynamic moves these days.
I wasn't aware Potter is known for bouldering, but some of the stuff he's done at IC/Moab recently would seem to suit a smaller climber (or at least with smaller hands/fingers). For all his publicity stunts, he does seem to crank hard, sometimes despite his body type.

Partner angry

Jan 24, 2008, 5:24 PM
Post #203 of 213 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] Height: Are tall climbers actually more disadvantaged? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
Except those darn flared Vedauwoo offwidth... I find it difficult with my relatively wide body and not-so-long arms to be able to reach deep enough for better jams. On the other hand, being shorter (with less leverage) could make inversion moves easier. But what do I know, I suck at offwidth.

A stocky short guy would never excel at climbing Vedauwoo offwidth, that's for sure.

Partner artm

Jan 25, 2008, 1:02 AM
Post #204 of 213 (3797 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Height: Are tall climbers actually more disadvantaged? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
ptftw!!
Hey no BET stuff outside the BET

DDT pm'd!

morlebeke

Jan 25, 2008, 1:49 PM
Post #205 of 213 (3763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, engineer input here, many references to anecdotal evidence of height increases gaining more than linear increases in weight, and I loved the powerlifter analogy in performance. simply put it's a cubed:squared ratio. As height goes up, volume and thus weight goes up cubed, while strength goes up squared. grosly simplified rough estimate of 170cm vs. 180cm in height would yield 18.7% more weight but only 12.1% more strength.

also, as most others here, for the most part I believe that that height is a wash, and route dependent. The reach advantage is just so obvious to the casual observer, while the disadvantage of balancing up on a small edge with your hands at your waist (for vertically challenged) or your hands down at your hips ('tall') isn't as dramatically obvious.

I will say that for gym climbing, a route setter has to be good to make a challenging route for both the 6'+ or the 5'1" gymnast variant. most often, a route setter isn't that good and makes things more challenging simply by using smaller holds further apart.

crricha13

Jan 27, 2008, 5:38 AM
Post #206 of 213 (3715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [morlebeke] Height: Are tall climbers actually more disadvantaged? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

im about 6'5 6'6 i think being tall makes climbing easier maybe just because im a beginner, but bouldering is what i really enjoy because of the difficulty and i notice being tall my knees are higher on sitting starts than shorter guys, but i also can reach a higher hold that they may die for to grab. Tongue

mturner

Jan 27, 2008, 5:50 PM
Post #207 of 213 (3691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crricha13] Height: Are tall climbers actually more disadvantaged? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crricha13 wrote:
im about 6'5 6'6 i think being tall makes climbing easier maybe just because im a beginner, but bouldering is what i really enjoy because of the difficulty and i notice being tall my knees are higher on sitting starts than shorter guys, but i also can reach a higher hold that they may die for to grab. Tongue

Probably right in saying it maybe because you are a beginner. When the holds get smaller and the angles steeper, it will be harder for you to keep that torque over a greater length. Also skipping holds isn't as common.

austin.timm

May 30, 2008, 7:55 PM
Post #208 of 213 (3532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dudemanbu] Height: Are tall climbers actually more disadvantaged? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dudemanbu wrote:
I think a lot of it has to do with non muscle weight.

Some people are just too full of shit. Wink

Bouldering4life

Jun 1, 2008, 2:55 AM
Post #209 of 213 (3465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Height: Are tall climbers actually more disadvantaged? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have personally given this question a lot of thought. I am 6"2 with a +6 ape index. In my experience it is not necessarily a disadvantage to be tall. Rather, grades just do not correlate whatsoever for me. I have gotten on V12's that felt completely doable and then gotten on 4's that did not even feel possible. It seems to make my top end bouldering better when I find problems that fit me extremely well, but it makes it harder for me to be consistent at any grade. It may be different for route climbers, I would not know, but in bouldering there are often not many options for hands and feet you just have to work with what you have.

mturner

Jun 1, 2008, 3:24 PM
Post #210 of 213 (3424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bouldering4life] Height: Are tall climbers actually more disadvantaged? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering4life wrote:
I have personally given this question a lot of thought. I am 6"2 with a +6 ape index. In my experience it is not necessarily a disadvantage to be tall. Rather, grades just do not correlate whatsoever for me. I have gotten on V12's that felt completely doable and then gotten on 4's that did not even feel possible. It seems to make my top end bouldering better when I find problems that fit me extremely well, but it makes it harder for me to be consistent at any grade. It may be different for route climbers, I would not know, but in bouldering there are often not many options for hands and feet you just have to work with what you have.

I agree with this but the same sort of assessment (not being consistent at one grade) can be said for most people of any height.

cannibal_hect0r

Jun 9, 2008, 12:27 AM
Post #211 of 213 (3349 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Height: Are tall climbers actually more disadvantaged? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

or a lower center of gravity

GeneralBenson

Jun 9, 2008, 5:34 PM
Post #212 of 213 (3319 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bouldering4life] Height: Are tall climbers actually more disadvantaged? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering4life wrote:

That's about the best I've ever heard it put. I feel like besides the fact that grades are pretty irrelevant anyways; the further you get from "normal" the more irrelevant grades become. I'm 6'7 and that's really how it feels to me. It's not even about advantage or disadvantage, everything is just different. I'm the same way with inconsistency. I'm sooo inconsisten with grades. I sent v5 before I sent v3 or v4, and I still get smoked by v1's.

The other thing you brought, however, that I think does make a huge difference is ape index. PEople always debate height, but I think ape index is the really factor. I'm 6'7 with a -2 index, and you're 6'2 with a +6 index. Which essentially means that you've got the reach that I do, without the extra weight and miscrunchability. again though, I'm sure it's got it's pro and cons. But I do think that having a positive index is way better than just being tall.

redpoint73

Jun 9, 2008, 6:08 PM
Post #213 of 213 (3303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering4life wrote:

God, with a height and ape index like that, you can probably just reach the top of most boulders while your feet are still on the ground!

Just reach up, mantle and SEND! Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook