Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

snoopy138

Jun 3, 2008, 5:47 AM
Post #26 of 65 (2553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [norcalocal] 30' decked out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

norcalocal wrote:
I only placed cams on the route, so it would have been incredibly hard to misplace some of the pro. But I am not incredibly experienced at placing pro

yes, we gathered that.

snoopy138

Jun 3, 2008, 5:47 AM
Post #27 of 65 (2552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] 30' decked out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
norcalocal wrote:
I only placed cams on the route, so it would have been incredibly hard to misplace some of the pro. But I am not incredibly experienced at placing pro

yes, we gathered that.

whoo!

rtwilli4

Jun 3, 2008, 7:11 AM
Post #28 of 65 (2531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
None of the the pro came out. I was just not paying enough attention to the amount of rope that was being run out while I was cleaning gear. I only placed cams on the route, so it would have been incredibly hard to misplace some of the pro. But I am not incredibly experienced at placing pro, since it was only my third lead trad climb, and I have had NO instruction on "proper placement", but I understand physics and how to operate camming devices. That being said, I more then adequately protected myself on the way up, it was on the way down that I got sloppy.
I do believe that the being intoxicated did relax my body upon impact.

oh and in response to not telling anyone about this, isn't this the "injuries and accidents" section of a forum for climbing.

First off, I am not one to lecture one about safety. Some of my best climbing partners are usually blazed at the crag (I trust them).... I rarely where a helmet... etc.

Having said that... you need to go over this in your head a few times and ask yourself if your really ready to be leading trad. climbs. Drunk or not, you need to take what your doing seriously... get some instruction from someone, please.

As for the drunk issue, I think your an idiot for climbing drunk and an idiot for posting/bragging about it here. As was said before, this kind of behavior does reflect badly on all of us... call me gramps if you want but it does.

Please grow up a little so we don't end up reading about you dying on this forum.

Glad your OK.

stymingersfink

Jun 3, 2008, 1:22 PM
Post #29 of 65 (2485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] 30' decked out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I don't buy this drinking = bad rigging BS.

Like camhead said, if you can't do it drunk then you can't do it sober.

Anchors are not complicated, you can rig one mostly blind, with frozen hands, with the wrong gear, after being on route for 36 hours straight.

The problem is in experience, not alcohol.
This is correct.

(This post was edited by stymingersfink on Jun 3, 2008, 1:25 PM)

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Jun 3, 2008, 9:14 PM
Post #30 of 65 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] 30' decked out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
In reply to:
None of the the pro came out. I was just not paying enough attention to the amount of rope that was being run out while I was cleaning gear. I only placed cams on the route, so it would have been incredibly hard to misplace some of the pro. But I am not incredibly experienced at placing pro, since it was only my third lead trad climb, and I have had NO instruction on "proper placement", but I understand physics and how to operate camming devices. That being said, I more then adequately protected myself on the way up, it was on the way down that I got sloppy.
I do believe that the being intoxicated did relax my body upon impact.

oh and in response to not telling anyone about this, isn't this the "injuries and accidents" section of a forum for climbing.

First off, I am not one to lecture one about safety. Some of my best climbing partners are usually blazed at the crag (I trust them).... I rarely where a helmet... etc.

Having said that... you need to go over this in your head a few times and ask yourself if your really ready to be leading trad. climbs. Drunk or not, you need to take what your doing seriously... get some instruction from someone, please.

As for the drunk issue, I think your an idiot for climbing drunk and an idiot for posting/bragging about it here. As was said before, this kind of behavior does reflect badly on all of us... call me gramps if you want but it does.

Please grow up a little so we don't end up reading about you dying on this forum.

Glad your OK.

Call me old fashioned, but I've been around too many accidents in my life - some freak, some mind-bogglingly avoidable - to make any room for the drunk and the stoned (while climbing) on my list of climbing partners, regardless of experience. Given the seeming overabundance of both, this is probably why I don't head outdoors that much.

onceahardman

Jun 3, 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #31 of 65 (2406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] 30' decked out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Uh jeeze, lighten up there gramps. The community lecture is best saved for the softball leagues

With all due respect, dingus...bullcrap.

The crag where I did my first 5.11 lead, 25 years ago, has been closed for 10 years, because the poor behavior of a few reflected on the entire community. Perhaps you have not experienced the loss of a great local cliff. I have.

Like it or not, crazy, drunk, falling-down climbers are lumped in to the same group as safe, experienced ones, in the public image.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no angel, and have been falling-down drunk more times than i'd care to admit...but not while climbing.

joeforte

Jun 3, 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #32 of 65 (2402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] 30' decked out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:
Uh jeeze, lighten up there gramps. The community lecture is best saved for the softball leagues

With all due respect, dingus...bullcrap.

The crag where I did my first 5.11 lead, 25 years ago, has been closed for 10 years, because the poor behavior of a few reflected on the entire community. Perhaps you have not experienced the loss of a great local cliff. I have.

Like it or not, crazy, drunk, falling-down climbers are lumped in to the same group as safe, experienced ones, in the public image.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no angel, and have been falling-down drunk more times than i'd care to admit...but not while climbing.

AMENAngelic

Partner angry

Jun 3, 2008, 10:59 PM
Post #33 of 65 (2375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You make an excellent point.

I have spent the majority of this thread calling the OP a n00b because he fucked up something that shouldn't have been fucked up sober or not. In no way was I ever saying that climbing with a few in you is a good idea.

I can see it bouldering, and definitely after a climb. Aside from that, it doesn't have a place with me.

It sort of contradicts myself in saying that the OP should be able to climb and rig safely while drunk and that he should never climb or rig while drunk. That is however, exactly what I'm saying.

stymingersfink

Jun 3, 2008, 11:15 PM
Post #34 of 65 (2368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
You make an excellent point.

I have spent the majority of this thread calling the OP a n00b because he fucked up something that shouldn't have been fucked up sober or not. In no way was I ever saying that climbing with a few in you is a good idea.

I can see it bouldering, and definitely after a climb. Aside from that, it doesn't have a place with me.

It sort of contradicts myself in saying that the OP should be able to climb and rig safely while drunk and that he should never climb or rig while drunk. That is however, exactly what I'm saying.
yes. if you're too drunk to rig, you're too drunk to climb.

The exact location of that line differs between climbers however, and it's not always a good idea to find it through experience.

I shure have climbed a shit-load of pitches with the aid of mary-jane, however. Sure, might take a little longer for a few tasks, but un-safe it ain't (for me).

onceahardman

Jun 3, 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #35 of 65 (2356 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] 30' decked out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I shure have climbed a shit-load of pitches with the aid of mary-jane, however. Sure, might take a little longer for a few tasks, but un-safe it ain't (for me).

That is exactly my experience as well. Although those days are pretty much over since the kids got hereCool

One beer had a worse effect on my climbing than a moderate amount of the finest nugs.

onceahardman

Jun 3, 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #36 of 65 (2351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have spent the majority of this thread calling the OP a n00b because he fucked up something that shouldn't have been fucked up sober or not.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I don't think the problem was incompetent anchor strength, but rather, poor judgement. Either the anchor location was wrong, or the guy climbed in the wrong place, or his belayer didn't pay attention to increasing slack as he climbed and pulled gear. The anchor did not collapse.

Pilot error, not failure of airplane.

Otherwise, I agree. It just isn't that hard, motor-skill wise, to build a competent anchor. At least once you are experienced in building them.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Jun 3, 2008, 11:31 PM)

stymingersfink

Jun 3, 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #37 of 65 (2338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:

That is exactly my experience as well. Although those days are pretty much over since the kids got hereCool

One beer had a worse effect on my climbing than a moderate amount of the finest nugs.

yes, both those are key in that equation.

stymingersfink

Jun 3, 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #38 of 65 (2337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:
I have spent the majority of this thread calling the OP a n00b because he fucked up something that shouldn't have been fucked up sober or not.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I don't think the problem was incompetent anchor strength, but rather, poor judgement. Either the anchor location was wrong, or the guy climbed in the wrong place, or his belayer didn't pay attention to increasing slack as he climbed and pulled gear. The anchor did not collapse.

Pilot error, not failure of airplane.

Otherwise, I agree. It just isn't that hard, motor-skill wise, to build a competent anchor. At least once you are experienced in building them.
yes.

dingus

Jun 3, 2008, 11:58 PM
Post #39 of 65 (2328 views)
Shortcut

Re: 30' decked out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry I don't buy the We are Borg routine.

A local crag round here had access threatened by young drunk men with guns. They weren't climbers, they were trash and NRA members. Driving their atvs all over the place and shooting up the world; leaving their beer cans where ever they pleased.

Climbers are saints by comparison. I've never had a local crag access threatened by drunk climbers - not once in 30+ years.

We are not borg. We will not assimilate.

DMT

norcalocal

Jun 4, 2008, 2:03 AM
Post #40 of 65 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] 30' decked out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, now I feel like I should defend myself. This is a "Injuries & ACCIDENTS" forum. I had an accident. I thought I would post it here to emphasize the importance of not drinking and climbing because it DOES impair ones judgment. I never said that what I did was a good idea, it was not. I made a mistake. I had an ACCIDENT that resulted in INJURY....which fortunately for myself is turning out to be much less of an injury then I first estimated. I can already walk fine, and can almost hold all of my weight on my heels again. Just as a side note, if I was only 2 feet higher and took the same fall I would have not hit the ground. The two most important lessons I learned are: 1. Don't drink and climb. and 2. Never post an accident on rockclimbing.com :)

stymingersfink

Jun 4, 2008, 3:04 AM
Post #41 of 65 (2258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

norcalocal wrote:
Ok, now I feel like I should defend myself. This is a "Injuries & ACCIDENTS" forum. I had an accident. I thought I would post it here to emphasize the importance of not drinking and climbing because it DOES impair ones judgment. I never said that what I did was a good idea, it was not. I made a mistake. I had an ACCIDENT that resulted in INJURY....which fortunately for myself is turning out to be much less of an injury then I first estimated. I can already walk fine, and can almost hold all of my weight on my heels again. Just as a side note, if I was only 2 feet higher and took the same fall I would have not hit the ground. The two most important lessons I learned are: 1. Don't drink and climb. and 2. Never post an accident on rockclimbing.com :)
see everyonez? he admitz to having poor jugmints, even without teh drinkz!

Crazy

curt

Jun 4, 2008, 5:00 AM
Post #42 of 65 (2239 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unabonger] 30' decked out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

unabonger wrote:
norcalocal wrote:
I hit the ground and then I felt the rope pull.

You just made my Monday morning.

Belayer must have been drunk as well.

Curt

austin.timm

Jun 4, 2008, 5:48 AM
Post #43 of 65 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I don't buy this drinking = bad rigging BS.

Like camhead said, if you can't do it drunk then you can't do it sober.

Anchors are not complicated, you can rig one mostly blind, with frozen hands, with the wrong gear, after being on route for 36 hours straight.

The problem is in experience, not alcohol.

Yeah, I've definitely rigged back to back rappels - with haul bags - after having some 'sodas' and I am still here to tell about it with no scrapes or bruises...

spikeddem

Jun 4, 2008, 8:03 AM
Post #44 of 65 (2206 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

norcalocal wrote:

No offense, but I really wouldn't call drinking, going rock climbing, and then getting into trouble an "accident." Lots of purposeful things happened here. Maybe you're just thinking incident and I'm thinking accident, and we're just arguing semantics. Boy, wouldn't that be a huge waste of time? (**cough "definition of a dyno" thread cough**)

The other thing is that you have no explained your level of intoxication. I propose the following levels are possible:

1) Oh man, I'm slightly buzzed. I gotta be so super insanely careful so I don't mess ANYTHING up. Four bomber placements with two lockers on everything!!!

2) Hmmmm, the #4 camalot doesn't fit. Oh, wait, that's backwards.

3) Hmmmm, the #4 camalot doesn't fit. Oh, wait, that's a #11 hex.

4) Anchors?! Only useful if I fall!

Seems to me you were a 1.43

wonderwoman

Jun 4, 2008, 3:13 PM
Post #45 of 65 (2159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

norcalocal wrote:

Well... at least you weren't driving drunk, I suppose!

Unless you got in your car right after the incident. And if you did, please be smart enough not to tell us unless you want even less sympathy.

reg

Jun 4, 2008, 3:33 PM
Post #46 of 65 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

norcalocal wrote:
.....I have had NO instruction on "proper placement"....... I more then adequately protected myself

i really don't want to rub salt into your wounds but taken out of context or not i find the above - amazing.
sure your mistake, now realized, was a rope thing and not a pro thing. IMHO - there are sulalties of gear placement, rope management and anchor building that should be studied and learned on the ground or with thoses who have expeirence no matter how smart or gifted you think you are.
edit - i can't spell nuttin! wait - n u t t i n - right?

(This post was edited by reg on Jun 4, 2008, 3:36 PM)

majid_sabet

Jun 4, 2008, 4:14 PM
Post #47 of 65 (2115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] 30' decked out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shocked

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Jun 6, 2008, 9:25 PM)

tigerlilly

Jun 4, 2008, 5:09 PM
Post #48 of 65 (2089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

norcalocal wrote:

You forgot lesson #3, which may be the most important: Lead climbing involves a lot more than just plugging pro. You need some quality instruction, study time, and/or to work with someone experienced who can coach you. I can place pro ok, but I'm not running out to start leading because I haven't finished lesson #3.

Btw, pretty much anything you post on this forum can result in a flame-fest, regardless of how innocent it may seem. If you don't believe me, go browse the Beginner's forum, or look at almost any thread on what shoes to buy or what 1st rope to buy. Put on your flame-retardant suit before entering, and remember, you can choose not to read any post at any time.

I'm glad to hear you're recovering well. You're one lucky SOB that you got the opportunity to learn from your mistake. Be careful out there!

Kathy

Partner robdotcalm

Jun 5, 2008, 8:38 PM
Post #49 of 65 (2022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

norcalocal wrote:

Actually, this is the "Add Insult to Injury Forum". Just read thru any random sampling of posts to verify that. Rather standard for the web. Anyway, glad you're getting better.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

Tree_wrangler

Jun 6, 2008, 12:26 AM
Post #50 of 65 (1997 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My thought on the matter is that many times we are totally in sober in situations that impair us far more than being drunk would.

Word.

People get tired, people get low blood sugar, they get pissed off about stupid stuff and go introvert. They lose connection with the physical world over all sorts of trivial little details.

But the only question ever asked is, "Was he/she sober?"

If you were, even if you were lost in your own narcissistic thoughts, you're free of responsibility.

If you had a touch of an intoxicant in you, even if you were otherwise unfettered by other complications, the assumption is automatically that you were seriously impaired.

I'll take my chances with the intoxicated, rather than the religiously-sober any day. At least the intoxicated are honest about their potential impairments.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook