RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

murph24

Jun 4, 2008, 1:45 PM
Post #1 of 9 (6155 views)
Shortcut

Top Rope anchor with slackline webbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So here is the situation, I want to set up a TR for my girl friend after I lead a route but the nearest tree is several meters from the cliff edge. I have a bunch of webbing that I use for slacklining and have only used between 30 – 40% of the total length for a slackine setup. The remainder has never been loaded or used in any way. I do not want to chop any ends off because I hope to set up longer lines in the future. Would you TR off of an anchor built with slackline webbing mentioned above?

PS: I’m buying new webbing later next week, just putting this out there for general discussion

keegan540

Jun 4, 2008, 2:30 PM
Post #2 of 9 (6137 views)
Shortcut

Re: [murph24] Top Rope anchor with slackline webbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anything will work with a little duct tape

redpoint73

Jun 4, 2008, 2:32 PM
Post #3 of 9 (6131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [keegan540] Top Rope anchor with slackline webbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How much do you like your girlfriend?

reg

Jun 4, 2008, 2:36 PM
Post #4 of 9 (6125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

murph24 wrote:
So here is the situation, I want to set up a TR for my girl friend after I lead a route but the nearest tree is several meters from the cliff edge. I have a bunch of webbing that I use for slacklining and have only used between 30 – 40% of the total length for a slackine setup. The remainder has never been loaded or used in any way. I do not want to chop any ends off because I hope to set up longer lines in the future. Would you TR off of an anchor built with slackline webbing mentioned above?

PS: I’m buying new webbing later next week, just putting this out there for general discussion

if it were mine and i was sure of it's history and it hasn't been sitting in the elements for a year and a half and the squrils haven't been chewin on it and the dog hasn't pissed on it and the birds haven't crapped on it - maybe.
if you are "leading" a route (sport lead?) then i would think you have your own gear for sport climbing & extra harness for the GF, rope, draws, bla bla - right? ok then just buy some tape or cord and do it right - buy what you need for that route or cliff. i have a 50m 9.5 static for these kinds of setups. R

keegan540

Jun 4, 2008, 3:13 PM
Post #5 of 9 (6091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpoint73] Top Rope anchor with slackline webbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redpoint73 wrote:
How much do you like your girlfriend?

Sounds like a great way to break up with her

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 4, 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #6 of 9 (6040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

murph24 wrote:

Exactly what was the point of your post? It sounds like you already understand that it's generally an unsafe idea and you are buying more webbing anyway.

Besides, what ever happened to belaying from the top? If you finish it out, your clipped into something, switch to belaying from there with a redirect and let her follow you up.

PS - if she ever finds out you would be considering this she'd deserve to knee you in the junk.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Jun 4, 2008, 11:40 PM)

rtwilli4

Jun 6, 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #7 of 9 (5959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a similar line... with tons of extra webbing that has never been loaded. mine sits outside in the sun and rain so I wouldn't use it, but if you know the history of your gear then you shouldn't have to ask this question. If you know the history of your gear and still need advice about it, then its probably best to just buy some new webbing.

I second the belay from the top tho. I always try to do this with new climbers anyways... it is easier to talk to them if they need it and it gives them something to look up and focus on... plus you can get a good view of the boobies from up top :)

havndzine

Jun 6, 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #8 of 9 (5950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Top Rope anchor with slackline webbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If he has to build a TR anchor with the webbing wouldn't he need to build a belay anchor in a simiair fashion???? So either way he would be relying on the webbing as an anchor...

Like people said, you know the history of the webbing......If it is not thrashed, it should be fine...if it has any frays or has been subjected to extended UV, or any petro-chemical exposure...Don't use it...

patmay81

Jun 6, 2008, 11:36 PM
Post #9 of 9 (5944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [havndzine] Top Rope anchor with slackline webbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

seriously, its a top rope anchor- meaning ff0 forces only. assuming your girlfriend doesn't weigh as much as a truck even trashed webbing should work. I'm pretty sure you put more forces on it slack lining than you ever could as a top rope, and it hasn't broke on you while slacking so there's no problem right?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook