RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

rtwilli4

Jun 6, 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #1 of 8 (10819 views)
Shortcut

oppinions, suggestions, my new line
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was reading the thread about the failure the other day and began to think about my line. I realize it could be done better, but its a low line and I weigh 150#... it's at my family's house for the time being and none of them will dare get on it. Here are some pictures, please tell me what you think.

I know the biners are tri-loaded but the way I see, the only way I could have one come screamin at my head is if the two biners w/ the clove hitch on the tension side failed at the same time. One question I do have: are the water knots good for the back ups that are slung around the trees, or should I use something else.

(This post was edited by rtwilli4 on Jun 6, 2008, 11:25 PM)

patmay81

Jun 7, 2008, 12:01 AM
Post #2 of 8 (10799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] oppinions, suggestions, my new line [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thats almost identical to my setup w/ 2 exceptions:
1. I use steel lockers
2. I use an alpine butterfly (I know I'll get flamed for admitting that) instead of the clove hitch.

greenketch

Jun 7, 2008, 2:18 AM
Post #3 of 8 (10764 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] oppinions, suggestions, my new line [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not a bad plan. Even if the biners break there is still a restraining force created by the tail you have tied off loose. I like itWink.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 7, 2008, 2:41 AM
Post #4 of 8 (10762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Watch your angles. Even if you have to extend them a bit off the tree you'll have much less likelihood of breaking a carabiner if you keep your sling angles 45 degrees or less.

rtwilli4

Jun 7, 2008, 4:57 AM
Post #5 of 8 (10732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] oppinions, suggestions, my new line [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yea i know the angles are bad... especially on the single biner and the navy blue sling. that's why I have the back up to prevent getting brained with a flying biner.

i wanted to use lockers and get a longer sling but I already had the blue one and hate climbing with it and lockers are $$$.

Thanks guys.

NJSlacker

Jun 7, 2008, 7:13 PM
Post #6 of 8 (10660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you have any spare bit of webbing you could get rid of that angle. Just make another sling and run it through the ends of the sling that didn't quite make it around the tree.

jr05

Jul 8, 2008, 3:06 PM
Post #7 of 8 (10285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This may be a dumb idea...but it is what I do.

Why not remove the biner on the end without the pulley system and just use a figure 8 around the tree with the webbing? This eliminates the biner and if anything breaks, all you have is webbing flying at you.

PS, I have never had a knot that was over-difficult to untie after slacking. That was my original worry with the setup, but it appears to not be an issue.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jul 8, 2008, 4:43 PM
Post #8 of 8 (10252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jr05] oppinions, suggestions, my new line [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jr05 wrote:
Why not remove the biner on the end without the pulley system and just use a figure 8 around the tree with the webbing?
I have never had a knot that was over-difficult to untie after slacking.

If you remove the carabiner and do the big ol' slip knot around the tree it does a couple things:

Introduces a nylon-on-nylon wear point

Usually puts a twist in your line on that end

Introduces abrasion from the tree to the actual mainline so when you wear through you have to shorten your line or buy another long span.

That said, it does work, but it's a trade off. I'm definately a fan of the two sling methods but I usually have other ways of not using carabiners but avoiding the above issues.

Regarding knot removal, chances are if you can get standard knots like an 8-on-a-bight or waterknot out easily you are only rigging pretty short and low tension lines. If your line load is under 500 lbs they shouldn't be set too hard. If however they see 1,250 lbs + most people usually have a permanent knot.

If you are removing them nicely when rigging longer lines and jump tight lines you may be exceptionally talented at untying knots.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook