Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot?
Yes 7 / 24%
No 16 / 55%
I have no idea 6 / 21%
29 total votes

lena_chita

Jun 9, 2008, 5:13 PM
Post #1 of 37 (2112 views)
Shortcut

Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am feeling very sore after climbing for two days. Much more so than usual.

The only thing that was different about the past weekend was the heat-- it was in the 90s. I have not climbed more than usual this weekend. I have not hiked more than usual either. I have not taken a long break from climbing before this weekend.

In short, nothing that explains why I should be so sore.

Then I started thinking of other occasions when I have gotten really sore all over from climbing, and it all seems to co-incide with hot weather.

Anyone knows if there is real reason for this, or am I just making wrong conclusions from observing couple random co-incidences?

Oh, and for the record, I have been drinking plenty of liquids -- it ended up being about a gallon each day, mostly water. We climbed in the shade and I don't think I have gotten particularly dehydrated.

irregularpanda

Jun 9, 2008, 5:14 PM
Post #2 of 37 (2111 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe one of the poll options should be: I forget to stretch....

GeneralBenson

Jun 9, 2008, 5:19 PM
Post #3 of 37 (2098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My guess would be that, even though you're consuming plenty of water, you're still coming up short on things like electrolytes, sodium and potassium. Water doesn't help much if you're body doesn't have the things it needs to use water. Try stuff like Camelbak Elixir or Nuun tablets, Gu, Cliffshots, and all of that junk. I have good luck with the Elixir tabs, and I think they taste the best.

*edited to include the first letter of my post*

(This post was edited by GeneralBenson on Jun 9, 2008, 5:36 PM)

getout87

Jun 9, 2008, 5:26 PM
Post #4 of 37 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralBenson] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GeneralBenson wrote:
y guess would be that, even though you're consuming plenty of water, you're still coming up short on things like electrolytes, sodium and potassium. Water doesn't help much if you're body doesn't have the things it needs to use water. Try stuff like Camelbak Elixir or Nuun tablets, Gu, Cliffshots, and all of that junk. I have good luck with the Elixir tabs, and I think they taste the best.

Exactly what I was going to say. If I dont hydrate as I should, which is pretty much every time I climb, because I dont ever get thirsty, then I get very sore. You have to replenish electrolytes, and water doesn't do that.

WVUCLMBR

Jun 9, 2008, 5:29 PM
Post #5 of 37 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralBenson] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll 2nd the Elixir tablets...they r guud.

lena_chita

Jun 9, 2008, 5:47 PM
Post #6 of 37 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
Maybe one of the poll options should be: I forget to stretch....

I am pretty sure that my routine in this respect was same as usual. Or are you saying that you need to stretch MORE in hot weather?

GeneralBenson wrote:
My guess would be that, even though you're consuming plenty of water, you're still coming up short on things like electrolytes, sodium and potassium. Water doesn't help much if you're body doesn't have the things it needs to use water. Try stuff like Camelbak Elixir or Nuun tablets, Gu, Cliffshots, and all of that junk. I have good luck with the Elixir tabs, and I think they taste the best.
In reply to:

Hmmm... I could give it a try. I was eating food during the day, too, not just drinking water. My impression was that if you eat AND drink plenty of water, lack of electrolytes isn't really a problem. But I suppose you could always say that I didn't eat the right mix of things to get the right balance of sodium, potassium, etc.

olive

Jun 9, 2008, 6:50 PM
Post #7 of 37 (2016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is funny as I was thinking exactly the same thing today. I was at the Red this weekend, too, and even though I actually climbed easier, and less than I normally do, I am much more sore than usual. The whole season I have not had my arms this sore even when I climbed three days in a row (instead of the one and a half I did this weekend). I did drink water, and I did eat regularly during the day, and I mixed gatorade in to my water since I was concerned about dehydration. But I sweated so much maybe that was not enough.
I also climbed much weaker than usual. I would like to blame it on the heat :)

lena_chita

Jun 9, 2008, 8:34 PM
Post #8 of 37 (1966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olive] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olive wrote:

I also climbed much weaker than usual. I would like to blame it on the heat :)

:) Yeah, I definitely like to keep this in my list of excuses. Excuse number 329, I believe.

charley

Jun 9, 2008, 9:13 PM
Post #9 of 37 (1931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I use it. I think it's # 397 on my list. I have been having trouble keeping up with my workouts and climbing lately. I went to nc. for a 4/5 day weekend and then came back to pa. to find the same oppressive heat and humidity. Which I don't like. The heat and humidity have been kicking my azz, esp. as I get older. I drink plenty, stretch some, and eat. I have not only been sore but also weak and unmotivated. I'll be glad to see the temp drop day after tmrow.
I'm kinda glad to see the heat bothers you thin, strong, young ladies, cause it's tough on this fat, weak, old man.Laugh

Valarc

Jun 9, 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #10 of 37 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The heat's rough on this fat, weak, young man too. Moving from PA to Georgia was pretty much like taking the July heat waves of pennsyltucky, and stretching them out to three months long. Not fun.

Of course, the winters kick ass, and I don't miss the ice storms one bit.

caliclimbergrl

Jun 9, 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #11 of 37 (1874 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only time I get sore from climbing is if I haven't done it in a while. Even a 2 week break might cause me to be sore the next time I climb. If I don't climb for a month or more, I'll almost certainly get sore the next time I go out. But if I'm climbing regularly (which for me usually means 2x a week in the gym and 1-2 days outside) I don't get sore no matter what the temperature.

However, I do bring SmartWater, Propel, or Gatorade with me instead of water when I climb. Or I dump in Crystal Light hydration packets. I'm sure the electrolytes help. And I find that I am more motivated to drink if it's flavored water -- otherwise sometimes I forget to drink and end up dehydrated. I've never found that dehydration causes me to get sore (though I think that I'm weird in that way), but I do find I don't climb nearly as well or have as much energy if I'm dehydrated.

aerili

Jun 9, 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #12 of 37 (1858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is almost no research on hydration and performance...or recovery issues like muscle soreness. But I have some preliminary research stuff that was covered on this topic at a recent sports training conference I went to, so I will look at it again and post about it later.

no_email_entered

Jun 10, 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #13 of 37 (1822 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
There is almost no research on hydration and performance...or recovery issues like muscle soreness.

hey your cute---but thats a joke right? google HYDRATION PERFORMANCE MUSCLE SORENESS and you only get 21,000 links, reports and related flotsam---

dont give up pure water for all those fancy designer drinkees but do keep your electrolytes up in the heat [and/or high altitude]. Emergen-C is a good option also or mineral tabs. muscle will expand/stretch more in the heat and be prone to more contraction [soreness] later.

Partner angry

Jun 10, 2008, 1:45 AM
Post #14 of 37 (1784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I get the most sore is when I've had a very hard day, something that will make me tired for a long time, then two days later I go climbing again.

I feel fine but it's not enough time to recover.

Dehydration just makes me weak, no more sore.

jt512

Jun 10, 2008, 1:59 AM
Post #15 of 37 (1774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
There is almost no research on hydration and performance...

Not so sure that's true. For a review, see, for instance, ACSM consensus statement.

Jay

monkeychild

Jun 10, 2008, 2:07 AM
Post #16 of 37 (1769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When it's hot, I just get more tired.. . . completely drained of energy by the end of the day. The next day I'm more sore and sluggish for sure, but I don't think it's soreness from the climbing. It's more just general fatigue from the strain of exercising in the heat.

Partner angry

Jun 10, 2008, 2:15 AM
Post #17 of 37 (1763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [monkeychild] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

FWIW, when I was racing bikes, I could function just fine at 95 degree races, hour after hour after hour. I just drank a lot more, probably more than double. I think I probably popped salt tablets too, I remember using those a lot.

Anyway, I felt that as long as I kept enough fluid going through me, the only problem was that I was hot.

I find it impossible to get enough fluid while climbing. Like I said earlier, it seems to affect my strength, not my soreness.

One thing, also bike related, not climbing. I work on the pedicab, the rickshaw. It's hours and hours of riding a heavy bike. It's easy to forget to drink doing that. When I spend 10 hours on the bike with barely a sip, I feel way tired the next day. I actually feel hung over, even though no alcohol was consumed.

In my experience, hydration is pretty much the magic formula.

aerili

Jun 10, 2008, 3:53 AM
Post #18 of 37 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Re: [no_email_entered] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no_email_entered wrote:
aerili wrote:
There is almost no research on hydration and performance...or recovery issues like muscle soreness.

hey your cute---but thats a joke right? google HYDRATION PERFORMANCE MUSCLE SORENESS and you only get 21,000 links, reports and related flotsam---

Perhaps 21,000 links of nothing.

Anyway, what I should have said wasn't hydration and performance (because, yes, that has been studied a lot, esp. in endurance athletes). I do not believe hydration and muscle soreness specifically has been studied much.

I found ONE legitimate study with a sample size of 10--and it was all dudes who were between 18-35, and they only looked at eccentric exercise (and I wouldn't call climbing an eccentric contraction-heavy sport per se, but maybe it depends on how much one has to downclimb regularlyTongue). Not exactly something we can base a sweeping statement about much of anything on this subject.

But actually, my notes from the conference (now that I look at them) are specifically regarding hydration and strength gains. This topic has been studied very little. But it is unrelated to this here discussion.

jt512 wrote:
Not so sure that's true. For a review, see, for instance, ACSM consensus statement.

I skimmed the Fluid and Electrolyte Requirements drop-down, but I didn't see anything that really looked like it pertained to delayed onset muscle soreness in the position statement. Otherwise, a good reference for other stuff, being that it is ACSM, of course.

Edited to add: I found a second study (done by the same people who carried out the first study I found) which concluded something different from their first study: second study says dehydration alone does not affect delayed onset muscle soreness, but again, way too small sample size on men only.

(This post was edited by aerili on Jun 10, 2008, 4:02 AM)

el_layclimber

Jun 10, 2008, 4:09 AM
Post #19 of 37 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Using statismics, math, and numberology, I have identified the following pattern. I call my theory the
"RC. com fitness advice thread theory."

1. person a asks question about training or recovery.
2. person b gives a preliminary answer.
3. person c says that is only anecdotal.
4. person d or person b posts evidence from a study or two.
5. person c says that is just one or two studies, of one motion.
6. arguing continues until persons b and d say "well, these studies are very specific, but a study of exactly what we want here is impossible."
7. person e says that he drinks sporty goo, does pullups, and climbs 5.11f
8. person b has the audacity to suggest that doing an exercise that might contribute to general fitness is probably ok.
9. person b gets flamed for thinking that things other than climbing (like health) matter.
9. person a fucks off to have a brew, deciding he was probably right about whatever his original assumption was. (In this case, I predict person a will decide to have more water, eat some sporty goos and look for shady climbs next time it's hot at the crag.)

tedman

Jun 10, 2008, 4:24 AM
Post #20 of 37 (1709 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

probly because a hangover is...*drumroll* an effect of dehydration!

jt512

Jun 10, 2008, 4:42 AM
Post #21 of 37 (1706 views)
Shortcut

Re: [el_layclimber] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

el_layclimber wrote:
Using statismics, math, and numberology, I have identified the following pattern. I call my theory the

6. arguing continues until persons b and d say "well, these studies are very specific, but a study of exactly what we want here is impossible."
8. person b has the audacity to suggest that doing an exercise that might contribute to general fitness is probably ok.
9. person b gets flamed for thinking that things other than climbing (like health) matter.
9. person a fucks off to have a brew, deciding he was probably right about whatever his original assumption was. (In this case, I predict person a will decide to have more water, eat some sporty goos and look for shady climbs next time it's hot at the crag.)

person l posts hasty generalization rather than bother to think about the issue

person j killfiles person l

Jay

el_layclimber

Jun 10, 2008, 5:14 AM
Post #22 of 37 (1691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
el_layclimber wrote:

person l posts hasty generalization rather than bother to think about the issue

person j killfiles person l

Jay

I have dreamed of this day, and even thought of just asking. Now I don't have to listen to your dick replies to my posts.

lena_chita

Jun 10, 2008, 2:29 PM
Post #23 of 37 (1656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
When I get the most sore is when I've had a very hard day, something that will make me tired for a long time, then two days later I go climbing again.

I feel fine but it's not enough time to recover.

Dehydration just makes me weak, no more sore.

You know, there could be something to it.

Unscientific, but I did climb pretty hard at the gym couple days before I went climbing for the weekend. About 2 hours of bouldering followed by more intense than usual roped laps for endurance. I felt completely spent and very tired, but I wasn't really sore after that climbing session-- nothing that lingered after sleeping it off-- and I had two rest days before the weekend. I definitely felt fine, but maybe that wasn't enough...

I could try it a few more times and see if the same hting happens again.

lena_chita

Jun 10, 2008, 2:35 PM
Post #24 of 37 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
There is almost no research on hydration and performance...or recovery issues like muscle soreness. But I have some preliminary research stuff that was covered on this topic at a recent sports training conference I went to, so I will look at it again and post about it later.

The sense that I am geting right now is that is obviously important to stay hydrated for a variety of reasons, so I might try those electrolyte thingies, at least. Maybe a waste of money, but probably not harmfull.

But as far as direct link between hydration and delayed soreness after climbing in the heat -- that is less certain and may be just a co-incidence.

Anyway, the soreness is gone now. Maybe it was a combination of being tired and being slightly sore that made the soreness seem stronger. No big deal.

sidepull

Jun 10, 2008, 3:08 PM
Post #25 of 37 (1644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [el_layclimber] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

el_layclimber wrote:

trophy worthy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook