Forums: Community: Campground:
The Lounge™
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 ... 1072 Next page Last page  View All

Partner epoch

Jun 11, 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #3051 of 26795 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] The Lounge™ [In reply to]
Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
kachoong wrote:
Yes, that's my story too.... sprinkler attached to the hose... oh, and one Christmas I got a Slip 'n' Slide.... essentially a long-ass piece of plastic you covered in detergent and ran water down it to slide on. Awesome!!! Who needs a pool when you can get grass stains on your chin?!?!

....yes.... we have Christmas in summer!
Detergent?

Like dish soap?

Just water worked pretty good. Perhaps it was the only way your mother could get you to bathe?
Snap!!!

chossmonkey

Jun 11, 2008, 11:23 AM
Post #3052 of 26795 (5507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] The Lounge™ [In reply to]
Report this Post

epoch wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
kachoong wrote:
Yes, that's my story too.... sprinkler attached to the hose... oh, and one Christmas I got a Slip 'n' Slide.... essentially a long-ass piece of plastic you covered in detergent and ran water down it to slide on. Awesome!!! Who needs a pool when you can get grass stains on your chin?!?!

Detergent?

Like dish soap?

Just water worked pretty good. Perhaps it was the only way your mother could get you to bathe?
Snap!!!
Laugh

I mean really....

Who else put detergent on their slip and slide?

Partner epoch

Jun 11, 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #3053 of 26795 (5501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
epoch wrote:
obsessed wrote:
Where did you pick up that cooking tip?

Um... I lived in Japan for 6 years. You pick up on things, when using fresh ingredients. Unlike Uncle Ben's rice, real rice requires preparation.

So real rice doesn't come in a 10kilo bag with Asian writing on it?

I have always just threw it in a pot and cooked it.

In Japan it came in many forms. My favorite was the bulk vending machine type. Bring a 3 gallon bucket insert 500 yen (US$4.75) and it fills.

[culinary geek moment]

To prepare white long or short grain rice, the best method is to rinse the crap out of it until the water is no longer a milky color. Using either a colander or placing the rice in a large pot you rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse. When that milky color is gone, you want to soak the rice under about a nuckle of water for 12 hours.

I steam my rice on a bamboo steamer and the cheesecloth comes in handy throughout the entire process. First, it keeps the rice contained and managable while rinsing; I've mastered rinsing in a colander. Then you let it soak for about 12 hours in a bowl; again the cheesecloth keeps everything together. And finally, when steaming the rice, the cheesecloth keeps everything together and from falling through the slats in the steamer. My rice comes out super sticky and fluffy. By pre-soaking the rice, also, the cooking time is down to about 5 minutes.

Cooking it this way requires some planning and preperation but the quality is much better, and you can get rice cheaper when it's uncooked. For flavor, rice takes on the flavor of whatever you put in it. It's the ultimate starch.

[/culinary geekery]

Cooking is a passionate hobby of mine, can you tell? I like eating good food, and if I can get supurb taste cheaply I'll do it.

Partner epoch

Jun 11, 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #3054 of 26795 (5499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
epoch wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
kachoong wrote:

Detergent?

Like dish soap?

Snap!!!
Laugh

I mean really....

I dunno. My parents could only afford that cheap black plastic you use for painting projects. We only used a hose and more often than not the plastic - being black - was super hot regardless of how much water we put on it. It was good until about the 5th or 6th slide when it would tear and we'd have a rock go through our chest - living in the desert isn't really conducive for lawns. We had one, but it was thin and brown most of the time.

My pool involved a 1/4 mile walk to a pond. This pond had multiple vehicles - cars, jeeps, motorcycles, 4-wheelers, and a school bus - in it. I didn't swim much there. No one in my subdivision of 250 houses had a pool. If you could call it a pool, it was more than likely a horse trough, or one of those 10" deep plastic thingys.

chossmonkey

Jun 11, 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #3055 of 26795 (5496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

epoch wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
epoch wrote:
obsessed wrote:

Um... I lived in Japan for 6 years. You pick up on things, when using fresh ingredients. Unlike Uncle Ben's rice, real rice requires preparation.

In Japan it came in many forms. My favorite was the bulk vending machine type. Bring a 3 gallon bucket insert 500 yen (US$4.75) and it fills.

[culinary geek moment]

To prepare white long or short grain rice, the best method is to rinse the crap out of it until the water is no longer a milky color. Using either a colander or placing the rice in a large pot you rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse. When that milky color is gone, you want to soak the rice under about a nuckle of water for 12 hours.

I steam my rice on a bamboo steamer and the cheesecloth comes in handy throughout the entire process. First, it keeps the rice contained and managable while rinsing; I've mastered rinsing in a colander. Then you let it soak for about 12 hours in a bowl; again the cheesecloth keeps everything together. And finally, when steaming the rice, the cheesecloth keeps everything together and from falling through the slats in the steamer. My rice comes out super sticky and fluffy. By pre-soaking the rice, also, the cooking time is down to about 5 minutes.

Cooking it this way requires some planning and preperation but the quality is much better, and you can get rice cheaper when it's uncooked. For flavor, rice takes on the flavor of whatever you put in it. It's the ultimate starch.

[/culinary geekery]

Cooking is a passionate hobby of mine, can you tell? I like eating good food, and if I can get supurb taste cheaply I'll do it.
I'd rather just cook it for 20 min or whatever it takes than have to plan 12 hours in advance.

I might try rinsing it though. Ours always wants to come out overly sticky.

I thought rinsing it took away any nutritional value it had?

Cooking is not a very passionate thing of mine. After 12 hours of soaking in my belly I can turn a rice into a big pile of brown poo in less than a minute. I just can't get passionate about something like that.

I'd much rather stick to being passionate about conquering meaningless rocks.Crazy

chossmonkey

Jun 11, 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #3056 of 26795 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

epoch wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
epoch wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
kachoong wrote:

Detergent?

Like dish soap?

Snap!!!
Laugh

I mean really....

I dunno. My parents could only afford that cheap black plastic you use for painting projects. We only used a hose and more often than not the plastic - being black - was super hot regardless of how much water we put on it. It was good until about the 5th or 6th slide when it would tear and we'd have a rock go through our chest - living in the desert isn't really conducive for lawns. We had one, but it was thin and brown most of the time.

My pool involved a 1/4 mile walk to a pond. This pond had multiple vehicles - cars, jeeps, motorcycles, 4-wheelers, and a school bus - in it. I didn't swim much there. No one in my subdivision of 250 houses had a pool. If you could call it a pool, it was more than likely a horse trough, or one of those 10" deep plastic thingys.
Haha!! We had to use a piece of plastic too. Some kids down the street had a real slip'n'slide though.

We had a lake pretty close to our house. It kind sucked for swimming though. It wasn't very deep. And full of weeds. It was pretty good for fishing though. And leeches.

granite_grrl

Jun 11, 2008, 12:56 PM
Post #3057 of 26795 (5490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] The Lounge™ [In reply to]
Report this Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
wanderlustmd wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
yeah I totally got to help fight a crazy person today. It was awesome.

Worthless without pix.
What happened?
The psycho bitch decided she did not want to be in the hospital anymore. The hospital staff decided that she was staying. And I didn't exactly have time to bust out the camera phone.
I wonder if I got called a psycho bitch when I was in the hospital. Er.....I wasn't what you'd call an idea patiant those first couple of weeks.

granite_grrl

Jun 11, 2008, 1:00 PM
Post #3058 of 26795 (5490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
artm wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
No vote?
yore wife's vote trumps yours.
Um....

She voted against all the names we have put up.

And what does that have to do with how you vote?
No I don't. Just the really stupid ones.

Normally I stay out of it. I don't want to get in the middle of problems between my husband and my friend.

stymingersfink

Jun 11, 2008, 1:40 PM
Post #3059 of 26795 (5485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
kachoong wrote:

Detergent?

Like dish soap?

yes, it did. that, and the plastic.

stymingersfink

Post #3060 of 26795 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
kachoong wrote:

Detergent?

Like dish soap?

Too bad that dint work too well either.

stymingersfink

Post #3061 of 26795 (5483 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
kachoong wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
argh! can't believe I wasted 4200 on this thread.

Well, I suppose it could have been worse...

in fact, the more I think about it, it couldn't have been more appropriate to place it here, a post with no content, in a thread with no content.

excepts for epoks occasional (content) i suppose.

oh well.

At least it was also Post 3000 of this thread! There's a legitimate plus!
Doc got post 3000. That was reply 3000. Either way, 3000 really isn't a big deal.
neither is 4200 in some circles.

stymingersfink

Post #3062 of 26795 (5482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
kachoong wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
argh! can't believe I wasted 4200 on this thread.

Well, I suppose it could have been worse...

in fact, the more I think about it, it couldn't have been more appropriate to place it here, a post with no content, in a thread with no content.

excepts for epoks occasional (content) i suppose.

oh well.

At least it was also Post 3000 of this thread! There's a legitimate plus!
Doc got post 3000. That was reply 3000. Either way, 3000 really isn't a big deal.
No, not really, but if it were canadian dollars given to you by the bum on the street corner you'd not turn it down, would you?

stymingersfink

Post #3063 of 26795 (5481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
epoch wrote:
obsessed wrote:

I dint get that whole "Marty Sturt's 101 uses of cheesecloth" either.

stymingersfink

Jun 11, 2008, 1:41 PM
Post #3064 of 26795 (5480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
epoch wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
epoch wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
wanderlustmd wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:

Worthless without pix.
What happened?
The psycho bitch decided she did not want to be in the hospital anymore. The hospital staff decided that she was staying. And I didn't exactly have time to bust out the camera phone.

I never knew that the hospital could decline a persons right to decline health care. Wouldn't that, in a sense, be hurting a person by doing so?

Unless a person is STATE admitted, that person is allowed to leave under their own free will.

At least this has been the impression that I have always had about health care.
A police officer can hospitalize someone for 24 hours. An MD can do it for 72 hrs, and then they have to go to an oversight commitee
I'd really like to expand on this topic, but I just spent the last 2 hours talking health care in class and don't feel like doing it on my own time - let alone time I paid for.

Seems a bit ludicrous to me, regardless.
Yeah I disagree with 98% of the us healthcare system. The 2% is the amount related to patient care.... And it's all about the paycheck.
So you think Canada is better?

You are such an idealist.

stymingersfink

Jun 11, 2008, 1:42 PM
Post #3065 of 26795 (5479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
obsessed wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
You saw L'habitant?

Grrrr™

Fixed it for you.

You weren't atin the mental hospital yesterday?

Sorry.

With two very sexually active teenagers I figured there was a pretty good chance.

stymingersfink

Post #3066 of 26795 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
obsessed wrote:
I figured as much. Is this true Art? Do your people really cook rice in cheesecloth?
If by 'your people' you mean Americans, no.
This from a graft to the canadian tree.

stymingersfink

Post #3067 of 26795 (5477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
epoch wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
kachoong wrote:

Detergent?

Like dish soap?

Snap!!!
Laugh

I mean really....

WhoWHY would ANYONE else put detergent on their slip and slide?

stymingersfink

Post #3068 of 26795 (5476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

epoch wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
epoch wrote:
obsessed wrote:

[culinary geek moment]

[/culinary geekery]

^^I'm not reading that^^

stymingersfink

Jun 11, 2008, 1:43 PM
Post #3069 of 26795 (5475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

epoch wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
epoch wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
kachoong wrote:

Detergent?

Like dish soap?

Snap!!!
Laugh

I mean really....

spent my fair share of time in those as a kid. It was my job to make sure they were always full, so I made sure to enjoy my work from time to time.

'course, there was always the pool I'd make myself when I dammed up the creek flowing through the front 40. No diving allowed, and that water was COLD!

stymingersfink

Jun 11, 2008, 1:43 PM
Post #3070 of 26795 (5474 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] The Lounge™ [In reply to]
Report this Post

granite_grrl wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
wanderlustmd wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:

Worthless without pix.
What happened?
I wonder if I got called a psycho bitch when I was in the hospital. Er.....I wasn't what you'd call an idea patiant those first couple of weeks.
only under their breath and behind your back. don't worry.

stymingersfink

Jun 11, 2008, 1:44 PM
Post #3071 of 26795 (5473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] The Lounge™ [In reply to]
Report this Post

granite_grrl wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
artm wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
No vote?
yore wife's vote trumps yours.
Um....

She voted against all the names we have put up.

And what does that have to do with how you vote?
No I don't. Just the really stupid ones.

Normally I stay out of it. I don't want to get in the middle of problems between my husband and my friend.
depends on the friend. and how good they are in the sack?

obsessed

Jun 11, 2008, 1:59 PM
Post #3072 of 26795 (5468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
obsessed wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
You saw L'habitant?

Grrrr™

Fixed it for you.

You weren't at the hospital yesterday?

Sorry.

With two very active teenagers I figured there was a pretty good chance.
Thanks for the fix. And nice recovery there. It's ok that you think I'm crazy. I would rather be crazy than ordinary and dull. Besides, takes one to know one ;p

kachoong

Jun 11, 2008, 2:00 PM
Post #3073 of 26795 (5465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
epoch wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
epoch wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
kachoong wrote:

Detergent?

Like dish soap?

Snap!!!
Laugh

I mean really....

Haha!! We had to use a piece of plastic too. Some kids down the street had a real slip'n'slide though.

We had a lake pretty close to our house. It kind sucked for swimming though. It wasn't very deep. And full of weeds. It was pretty good for fishing though. And leeches.

I thought you guys were boys?!?!?! When I was a boy I tried a lot of things, including putting detergent on my plastic slide.... and if results were favorable, like in this case, I kept doing it until my mother decided the lawn was clean enough... it was definitely a pre-emptive strike on the grass stains though.... and the biggest bonus of all.... BUBBLES!!! Lots of them!! You guys missed out!

Yeah, we also had a nearby dam with leaches.... we'd just go there, take the leaches out, just by immersing a leg or two and bring them back for the slip'n'slide... bring all the action home, so to speak.

obsessed

Jun 11, 2008, 2:01 PM
Post #3074 of 26795 (5497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
obsessed wrote:
I figured as much. Is this true Art? Do your people really cook rice in cheesecloth?
If by 'your people' you mean Americans, no.

No, I meant his people. Japanese, not the other half of his people, Americans.

obsessed

Jun 11, 2008, 2:02 PM
Post #3075 of 26795 (5495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
obsessed wrote:
wanderlustmd wrote:
obsessed wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
Well fuck....

Here we thought you were actually longing by a real pool when you were all laid up. Like some sort of rich kid.
Not quite... There were many afternoons of my broken ass floating in the pool with a six pack. But it is an above ground pool.

Yeah, I'm picking up on that.

All that time wasted being jealous of you.Crazy

Guess I'll just have to be happy with being jealous of L'Habitant's rich kids pool.
When I was a kid, living in a middle class neighbourhood, there were only 2 families with pools. I remember having to be really nice to those kids to get an invite into their pool. So, I decided that when I had kids, as soon as the bank would give me money, they were getting a pool. I didn't want them to have to grovel like I did just to keep cool.

We have a pool.
We aren't rich.
You can all come swimming.
Party at Wanders house. Can you grill us some steaks too?
I think your house would be closer for most.
for most? Only for you and Beccs.

First page Previous page 1 ... 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 ... 1072 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook