RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

qwert

Jun 12, 2008, 10:47 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Climbing on Spitsbergen/ Svalbard; general arctic advice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So it seems if i dont blow it, by forgetting to send some documents in time, i will spend a semester at the northernmost university in the world.

So anyone knows about climbing on the svalbard archipelago, prefferably close to the only Town Longyearbyen?

On the students page alpine climbing is suggested as an activity, but without details. Generally the rock is totally loose, and most mountains are quite flat, but maybe somewhere?
The only thing i have found is this the atomfjella, but this is quite far away from Town.

Any other, more general arctic advice?
It will be cold, dark, and i need a rifle, as well as glacier and avalanche gear. Any tips about stuff that si not that obvious?

qwert

allimac

Jun 12, 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Climbing on Spitsbergen/ Svalbard; general arctic advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess you can do a lots of first ascent on Svalbard.

Some friends of mine went skitouring with tents there last year. They got the whole place by themselves... Except for the polarbear they saw, but in long distance. And the actually met the Slovenians you're linking to...

Write an email to the tourist office in Longyearbyen.

altelis

Jun 12, 2008, 3:32 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Climbing on Spitsbergen/ Svalbard; general arctic advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not exactly what you were looking for, but if you are going to be in Longyearbyen you NEED to read "Four Against the Arctic" by David Roberts. It is a truly unbelievable story of four Russian sailors stranded UNPREPARED on Svalbard who survived SIX YEARS in the arctic.

Anybody who wants a good read, let alone somebody who is going to spend time up there cannot pass up the opportunity to read this book....

http://www.amazon.com/...213284433&sr=1-1

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook