RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

grubbjasona

Jun 16, 2008, 7:41 PM
Post #1 of 4 (527 views)
Shortcut

top roping with two ropes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How safe is it to top rope and/or lead with two ropes tied together?... I found a really long climb this weekend but it would require a 70m rope, I just have two 60m ropes (same diameter). I know this is standard practice when rappelling, but would falling on two ropes tied together be too dangerous?

Reaganchung

Jun 16, 2008, 7:49 PM
Post #2 of 4 (516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grubbjasona] top roping with two ropes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

usually when a guide book says that a 70m rope is required that means that a 70m is needed to get down. Leading with 2 ropes tied together is impossible because the knot will not pass through the quickdraws and the belay device. Just trail up another rope and tie them up before you rap.

if you really mean that you need to do a 70m pitch then seperate the climb into 2 pitches

(This post was edited by Reaganchung on Jun 16, 2008, 7:50 PM)

Partner j_ung

Jun 16, 2008, 8:02 PM
Post #3 of 4 (497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grubbjasona] top roping with two ropes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

grubbjasona wrote:
How safe is it to top rope and/or lead with two ropes tied together?... I found a really long climb this weekend but it would require a 70m rope, I just have two 60m ropes (same diameter). I know this is standard practice when rappelling, but would falling on two ropes tied together be too dangerous?

Only in that rope stretch will be high, so a fall close to the ground might end up poorly. I've done it before, though, with spotters waiting until the climber gets up enough to be safe. To do it, make sure the knot is on the belayer's side of the anchor. Pull the climber's side until the knot is right at the anchor, then tie the climber in short, with a figure-8 on a bight or similar knot. Have the climber carry the excess rope coiled and around a shoulder.

henrikh

Jun 17, 2008, 1:25 PM
Post #4 of 4 (367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] top roping with two ropes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i agree. on long routes toproping can be sketchier than leading, ´cause of the ropestrech..

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook