RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

Climbing_Pink

Jun 25, 2008, 1:16 PM
Post #1 of 17 (3171 views)
Shortcut

Red River This Weekend
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just got back from the gorge Monday night. Really good trip. Nice weather even though it said thunderstorms all weekend. Very quiet at Miguel’s though, like -maybe- 20 tents.

We got in late Friday night, so no climbing Unsure. So got up early and headed to the gallery at Pendergrass on Saturday. Rained a little, but then stopped.

I think it was there that I lead a really awesome 5 star 5.8, called 27 years of climbing. Did a couple 5.10's ... one my boyfriend Scott bailed off of
a Breif History of Climb 10C, because even though it looked really cool the beginning was sketched out (rock seemed like it was going to flake right off)

Then we went to the Shire. I'm still a beginner leader so I need some easier stuff (damn that mental block) There was a group of 15-20 camped out on the easier wall, so Scott lead some harder stuff (for me), Significant Other 10b and The G-Man 10C and also a 5.9 called Miranda Rain... I topped and cleaned. Managed to get on a 5.7 (Pee-Wee) there, but then we moved on.

After we went to the Zoo.... holy accent. It's like steep uphill for 20 minutes, I felt like an old woman once I got to the crag. It was getting dark so Scott jumped on a 5.12 (Hippocrite) it was like 40-50 feet high but -man- the overhang on that thing was brutal. (I found the guide book haha)

That night I had a pizza with sweet potatoes, spinach, ricotta and tofu Smile That's the only reason I go... then I climb to work off the calories... ha And I won at Jenga..... take that Scott

The second day was gorgeous! Had a little thunder at the first wall (Volunteer Wall) but it went away. Lead Swap Meet 5.6 there (go me) and toped two slabby technical 5.10b's (Nice to Know You) and Helping Hands 5.10d (the 5.10d kicked my butt)

The nice and suprisingly pumpy climb Darwin Loves You 5.9 was the last climb that we jumped on, then headed to Phatasia.

Climbed Pouge Ethics 5.9+, (on top rope after a serious debate if I had the guts to lead it.... I didn't) Awesome climb... highest I've ever been (still a beginner remember!) Then we moved onto probably the coolest technical slab ever, Overloard 5.10b right beside the rather odd 2 star Lord of The Flies 5.8 where you walk down a path to the anchors at the top.

It was starting to get late so we rushed down to Creature Feature (5.9) Scott lead it, then I jumped on it. The technical start kicked my butt and I smoked my chin off the rock then decided 13 hours on climbing was my limit haha. So another guy at the crag jumped up and cleaned it. Next time though... so doing it. The climbing is a ladder after this one really cool move where you have to reach up over a lip and grab this huge bucket and cut out your feet to pull yourself up... so cool.

Before we called it a day we went over a looked at Twinkie... (5.12a) probably the scariest thing I've ever seen. (It's Scotts dream climb) The beginning was so sketchy... if you bail before the first clip then you fall about 10 feet, hit a ledge and if you don't catch yourself there's another 15-20 drop to go!

The quick draws are left up on the climb..... it's sooo overhang if there wasn't you'd have to have crazy strength to do this monster.

So that's about it. Will be loading pictures soon for your amusement (if you've even read this long)

Just uploaded some photos, only problem with two people is there's no one to take pictures ha [laugh]

(This post was edited by Climbing_Pink on Jun 26, 2008, 2:28 PM)
Attachments: altered1.JPG (105 KB)
  altered2.JPG (98.4 KB)
  altered3.JPG (104 KB)
  altered4.JPG (105 KB)
  altered1.JPG (65.9 KB)
  altered2.JPG (101 KB)
  altered3.JPG (66.5 KB)
  messingaround.JPG (84.6 KB)
  reallyhigh.JPG (76.7 KB)
  spreadem.JPG (85.9 KB)

notapplicable

Jun 25, 2008, 1:49 PM
Post #2 of 17 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Climbing_Pink] Red River This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you guys had a fun, how were the temps? I try to make it out there once a year or so but work kept me busy through the good weather this time around. Might have to wait till the fall.

Oh yeah, pictures always make TR better, toss em up when you get em loaded.

kostik

Jun 25, 2008, 2:04 PM
Post #3 of 17 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing_Pink wrote:
After we went to the Zoo.... holy accent. It's like steep uphill for 20 minutes, I felt like an old woman once I got to the crag. It was getting dark so Scott jumped on a 5.12 (wish I could remember the names of these climbs) it was like 40-50 feet high but -man- the overhang on that thing was brutal. I'm sure those of you that are familiar with the Zoo now which one I'm talking about.

There are two 5.12a at the Zoo. The one on the right is Scar Tissue. Nice overhang with a boulder move before the chains. My favorite. Did the move in static. Hippocrite is on the left - big moves between several huecos. Dyno gumby's delight.

Partner camhead

Jun 25, 2008, 3:05 PM
Post #4 of 17 (3118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kostik] Red River This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Twinkie is one of my all-time-favorites at the Red.

N_A, the temps are pretty hot this time of year, but chasing shade can still be do-able. How far would you be driving to get there?

Kostik, this weekend?

lena_chita

Jun 25, 2008, 3:06 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Wow, you managed to hit quite a few different crags in one weekend!

(And also managed to mangle the names of at least half of the routes you mentioned, LOL)

Sounds like you had fun. Tofu and sweet potatoes on pizza... that's interesting! I think I'll pass that combo for now, but someday I'll run out of topping ideas of my own, and maybe then I'll try it.

Oh, the dreams of Miguel's pizza! Kalamata olives and artichokes... Hawaian...

My mouth is watering, and it isn't even time for lunch yet.

kostik

Jun 25, 2008, 3:14 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3112 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Red River This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Kostik, this weekend?

Yes.

Climbing_Pink

Jun 25, 2008, 4:31 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Red River This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Earlier in the week before we went it said it was going to be 90 and really humid. It ended up being 75-85 max and really low humidity. Actually got on the chilly side when the sun went down....Laugh

notapplicable

Jun 25, 2008, 5:52 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
N_A, the temps are pretty hot this time of year, but chasing shade can still be do-able. How far would you be driving to get there?

Its a 9 hour haul for me man.

The lines are worth it though. I dont care what anybody say's, the gear routes at the Red are some of the best around. That and its a "something for everyone" kinda place, Hard to talk some people into the climbing in NC.Tongue

dreday3000

Jun 25, 2008, 5:56 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Twinkie is a great climb! I had to skip the last clip for the red point.

whiskeybullets

Jun 25, 2008, 6:05 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since you enjoyed your time in the Red so much, perhaps you would consider donating to the RRGCC. They're still working to pay of the PMRP (the shire, gallery, volunteer wall etc.). They had remarkable success with the Petzl RocTrip, but donations are still needed to secure access to these great crags.

The beta for Creature Feature is to not cut your feet, but to instead heel hook with the left foot. And perma-draws (as on Twinkie) are generally left up not to make leading easier, but rather so that the leader does not have to clean the route. If you're climbing Twinkie you don't want to top rope it, and you definately can't clean that climb on lower or rappel.

Partner neuroshock

Jun 25, 2008, 7:41 PM
Post #11 of 17 (3032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whiskeybullets] Red River This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whiskeybullets wrote:
If you're climbing Twinkie you don't want to top rope it, and you definately can't clean that climb on lower or rappel.

It can be done on lower but it's a PITA. Plus, if you screw up you're going to get hurt from the swing.

camhead & kostik, what are your plans? maybe i'll see you down there.

(This post was edited by neuroshock on Jun 25, 2008, 7:43 PM)

getout87

Jun 26, 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2977 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Red River This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
camhead wrote:

Its a 9 hour haul for me man.

The lines are worth it though. I dont care what anybody say's, the gear routes at the Red are some of the best around. That and its a "something for everyone" kinda place, Hard to talk some people into the climbing in NC.Tongue

You ever need a partner for NC, let me know.

Climbing_Pink

Jun 26, 2008, 2:00 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2965 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kostik] Red River This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was Hippocrite that he jumped up on... really cool climb

notapplicable

Jun 26, 2008, 4:24 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getout87] Red River This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

getout87 wrote:
You ever need a partner for NC, let me know.

Will do, the fall will be here shortly and I'll be headed down.

Partner camhead

Jun 26, 2008, 4:33 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2920 views)
Shortcut

Re: [neuroshock] Red River This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

neuroshock, we and clausti will probably be camped at Miguel's, and climbing one day at Midnight Surf. Not sure other than that

dreday3000

Jun 26, 2008, 4:38 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2919 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whiskeybullets] Red River This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are perma draws on Twinkie? Since when? I have had to clean that before. Its a bitch.

Partner neuroshock

Jun 26, 2008, 6:36 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds good, maybe i'll see you guys. we'll probably be at Midnight Surf for Cell Block Six at some point this weekend and possibly give a few other routes there a first go. depends on how we feel and the weather.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook