Premier Sponsor:

duey

Jun 25, 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #1 of 18 (34696 views)
Shortcut

In Memoriam Paul Duval
Report this Post
Can't Post

DUVAL- Paul A. 71 Formerly of Watertown, MA. Died Tuesday June 24, 2008 due to a rock climbing accident in Custer, South Dakota. He was climbing the needles when the accident occurred
He lived with his life partner Karen Hargrave in Custer.
He was a longtime member of the Appalachian Mountain Club and very active as a rock climbing instructor. His climbing experience included excursions to Europe, Africa, Mexico and all over North America.
He is survived by his two daughters, Nathalie Couetil, West Lafayette, Indiana, Orielle Georgiades, Carmel, Indiana, Brother Kenneth, Yreka, California, Brother Ronald, Long Valley, NJ. and four grand children.

duey

Jun 25, 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #2 of 18 (34634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [duey] In Memoriam Paul Duval [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

News from the Needles

It is with deep regret that we post this announcement.

Paul Duval, a Needles pioneer, icon and friend to us all, died yesterday in a climbing accident at the Moonlight Ridge area. The accident involved mistaking the mark near the end of a rope for the mark at the center of the rope and resulted in rappelling off the short end.

Our condolences to his family and loved ones.

Partner camhead

Jun 26, 2008, 1:47 AM
Post #3 of 18 (34602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I remember Paul from Potrero Chico, Mexico.

Question: was he the climber who was attacked in his van in Mexico a couple years ago?

condolences.

potreroed

Jun 26, 2008, 2:01 AM
Post #4 of 18 (34594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] In Memoriam Paul Duval [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, that was Paul. He had recovered and was climbing as strong as ever. Sad, sad news, indeed.

moose_droppings

Jun 26, 2008, 2:30 AM
Post #5 of 18 (34579 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] In Memoriam Paul Duval [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is terrible news. I've met Paul on several occasions while in the hills climbing.

To all his family and close friends, my sincere condolences go out to you.

RIP Paul

olderic

Jun 26, 2008, 3:06 PM
Post #6 of 18 (34488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Many of my early adeventures were with Paul in the early 70's. I remember a day (73?) when we were quite proud of ourselves for doing the "Double Standard" - the standard routes on Whitehorse and Cathedral in the same day. Over the next few years we turned into reasonably competent climbers - first ascents at Joe English, ice all over the northeast, Gunks weekends holed up in the cabin even a winter presidential traverse. Paul loved all sorts of climbing. Even when he moved away from Boston I frequently crossed paths with him - Arizona, the Tetons, Canada (one of the bigger routes of my life was with Paul when we did the east face of Bugaboo Spire in a day) and more recently at the Potrero.
I will miss him a lot.

WVUCLMBR

Jun 26, 2008, 3:59 PM
Post #7 of 18 (34456 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] In Memoriam Paul Duval [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Man...total bummer. Looks like another reason for standardization of rope markings.

gate...gate...paragate....parasamgate....bodhi shava.

c4c

Jun 26, 2008, 4:36 PM
Post #8 of 18 (34420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eric, was his wifes name Cindy?

olderic

Jun 26, 2008, 4:44 PM
Post #9 of 18 (34410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] In Memoriam Paul Duval [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

c4c wrote:
Eric, was his wifes name Cindy?
His wife's name was Marie (very French). They separated > 20 years ago. He had been with Karen for quite awhile.

JStates

Jun 26, 2008, 6:53 PM
Post #10 of 18 (34353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Paul was like a brother to me. He even used to call "little brother" We have climbed together, forged steel together, camped, joked, and enjoyed life together. We just spoke last Saturday and were making plans for seeing each other later this year. I just talked with Karen this morning and we cried together. Paul wil never be forgotten. I have alot of his artwork in the form of postcards he sent from Mexico as well as all along his travels. Maybe I will find a way to scan them and post them for all of his friends to see.

duey

Jun 28, 2008, 9:42 PM
Post #11 of 18 (33945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There will be a memorial service for Paul Duval on Monday evening, June 30, at 7pm at the McColley Funeral Home, 234 North 6th Street, Custer, SD, Phone: 605-673,4422. All friends and climbers are invited to attend and share their memories.

rossy

Jun 29, 2008, 1:54 AM
Post #12 of 18 (33881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Got to know Paul way back in the New Hampshire days. Last saw him at Devils Tower...Sad to see him go ,happy he had a life of adventure. Deepest sympathy to all his family and friends. Paul Ross

rickmeinig

Jun 29, 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #13 of 18 (33756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rossy] In Memoriam Paul Duval [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I , too, remember Paul Duval during the New Hampshire years of the mid 70's around North Conway when I was a student at MIT. I bought a pair of "EB" rock shoes from him that I think he had brought back from France when they were the hot, but scarce commodity ( replacing those legendary blue leather, vibram soled RR boots! ). It is nice to hear that he has remained active as a climber. Best wishes to his immediate family and friends
Rick Meinig, Co Springs

olderic

Jun 30, 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #14 of 18 (33718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rickmeinig] In Memoriam Paul Duval [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo Rick - how are you? Remember Chamonix - circa 1981?

Partner wormly81

Jun 30, 2008, 1:21 AM
Post #15 of 18 (33705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Many of my early adeventures were with Paul in the early 70's. I remember a day (73?) when we were quite proud of ourselves for doing the "Double Standard" - the standard routes on Whitehorse and Cathedral in the same day. Over the next few years we turned into reasonably competent climbers - first ascents at Joe English, ice all over the northeast, Gunks weekends holed up in the cabin even a winter presidential traverse. Paul loved all sorts of climbing. Even when he moved away from Boston I frequently crossed paths with him - Arizona, the Tetons, Canada (one of the bigger routes of my life was with Paul when we did the east face of Bugaboo Spire in a day) and more recently at the Potrero.
I will miss him a lot.

One can only aspire to be remembered in such fine fashion by their friends.

rickmeinig

Jun 30, 2008, 1:47 AM
Post #16 of 18 (33690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That would be Eric E--trip with Peter B, Tim R, Paul L to Argientierre-Chamonix-Zermatt! A
In reply to:
In reply to:
nd it was the summer of 80 to be exact!!! My life is somewhat chronicled at www.meinig.com. It would be great to hear from you!
Rick

Simeon

Jul 2, 2008, 3:52 PM
Post #17 of 18 (33157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Duey,
Can you email me please. I am collecting information on Paul, and could use your help.
Thanks!
sheimowitz@gmail.com

We had a Memorial Tree planting at his house here in the Potrero on Sunday. The turnout of people solidified the love we all had for Paul. He will be missed South of the Border.
In reply to:

rockcrag

Aug 22, 2008, 5:26 PM
Post #18 of 18 (25647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I stayed with Paul and Karen in their Black Hills home for 10 days for 4 years in a row. We climbed daily at the Needles and at Devils Tower. At 60 Paul was the most trustworthy leader I had ever seen. I saw him move fearlessly through the cruz on a 5.10 on Devil's Tower when all his pro had fallen out for 60 feet below him. To me, I think I would have quit the sport.It meant nothing to him. I never once saw him fall on a climb. Jeff

Forums : Climbing Information : In Memory Of

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook