Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Photos of the Narrows in Cumberland, Maryland
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

blackpanther2819

Jun 25, 2008, 9:48 PM
Post #1 of 8 (7760 views)
Shortcut

Photos of the Narrows in Cumberland, Maryland  (North_America: United_States: Maryland: Western_Md_: The_Narrows)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi guys and gals,

I just wanted to put a post out there that I uploaded some photos of a panorama that I made of the Narrows in Cumberland, Maryland. I read through Indy's guide on the internet, but I'm still unsure of the actual walls when you get to the Narrows. If people that have been down there can add walls and routes to some of the photos, that would be awesome.

Thanks a million,
Garrett Butler

shockabuku

Jun 25, 2008, 9:57 PM
Post #2 of 8 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blackpanther2819] Photos of the Narrows in Cumberland, Maryland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blackpanther2819 wrote:
Hi guys and gals,

I just wanted to put a post out there that I uploaded some photos of a panorama that I made of the Narrows in Cumberland, Maryland. I read through Indy's guide on the internet, but I'm still unsure of the actual walls when you get to the Narrows. If people that have been down there can add walls and routes to some of the photos, that would be awesome.

Thanks a million,
Garrett Butler

Like these ones?

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Jun 25, 2008, 10:00 PM)

blackpanther2819

Jun 25, 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #3 of 8 (7737 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Photos of the Narrows in Cumberland, Maryland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So yeah, those are the photos I uploaded... I'm asking for people's input on wall names and routes... :P

Thanks,
G

Edit: where the heck did the awesome photo of the guy obviously not in Cumberland, Maryland, come from?

(This post was edited by blackpanther2819 on Jun 26, 2008, 7:32 PM)

indy_md

Jun 27, 2008, 3:17 AM
Post #4 of 8 (7697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In photo #6, Cumberhoney is the diamond-shaped roof at the top left, Jim Pick Wall is the area right of the vertical center 'line'.

Photo #2, the large buttress on the right side is Sunshine Buttress. Everything else left of that is generally the Far Wall area. Mostly top-ropes, a few leads.

Photo #4, the diamond-shaped roof at the top right of center is the top of Cumberhoney. Jim Pick is at the right edge of the photo. The long roof center left is where Winter's Tale climbs up/around. Straight to the right of that you can find a large tree 2/3 of the way up the rock, with a roof below it midway up the rock. This is where the Rendezvous With Rama/Rama II routes go, and where Dancing Spanish finishes (from the left).

Anyone who's done any amount of climbing in Maryland knows that photo $5 was taken at Carderock on one of the rare uncrowded days. Wink

The last photo looks to me like the Funland area. Perspective is a little skewed from what I'm used to, and my identifying landmarks aren't in the photo (or might be at the edge, cropped)

For what it's worth. Smile

jermeng

Jun 27, 2008, 4:08 AM
Post #5 of 8 (7675 views)
Shortcut

Re: [indy_md] Photos of the Narrows in Cumberland, Maryland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, I know I've been away from Maryland for some time now, but I don't think I've ever seen Carderock that empty.

indy_md

Jun 27, 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #6 of 8 (7643 views)
Shortcut

Re: [indy_md] Photos of the Narrows in Cumberland, Maryland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Correction to my post. The noted Cumberhoney roof top left in Photo #6 is not Cumberhoney, but the roof to the right of Jim Pick Wall. The Jim Pick Wall is the open wall left around the corner(ish) and below that roof. This roof is the Who Do You Believe/Misty Splitter finish. The roof and trees lower right of this is the Howling/School House Rock area. Robinson Crusoe goes up right-facing flakes just right of the center line (what I ms-identified earlier as Jim Pick). The bare area of rock at the lower right that meets some trees 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up is Chuck's Wall.

Gotta not try and ID photos when I'm sitting in a hot, stifling room w/no AC. Tongue

(This post was edited by indy_md on Jun 27, 2008, 12:26 PM)

shockabuku

Jun 28, 2008, 9:34 AM
Post #7 of 8 (7585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blackpanther2819] Photos of the Narrows in Cumberland, Maryland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blackpanther2819 wrote:
Edit: where the heck did the awesome photo of the guy obviously not in Cumberland, Maryland, come from?

Just seeing if you were paying attention. It's a random photo from the database, New Zealand I think.

Properlymodified

Jul 6, 2009, 11:39 AM
Post #8 of 8 (6534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Could anyone tell me where exactly the Cumberland narrows are? Off of what road?

I'm interested in scoping it out. Are there any campgrounds or anywhere to camp nearby?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook