Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Sport Climbing:
Moving to Albany NY.... where is the Sport Climbing??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

bbowers

Jul 4, 2008, 4:47 PM
Post #1 of 14 (10632 views)
Shortcut

Moving to Albany NY.... where is the Sport Climbing??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not...I'll be moving to Albany from the Philly area. There's plenty of sport down here, but it seems like everything up by albany is trad. I'm not into trad yet, but I fear I may have to be once I move. Other than Rumney, which is kinda far from albany, is there any other close place for sport climbing, other than the Albany gym?

c4c

Jul 4, 2008, 6:50 PM
Post #2 of 14 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bbowers] Moving to Albany NY.... where is the Sport Climbing?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

try this http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._park/Buck_Mountain/ about 1 hr north of albany.

kampfwespe

Jul 14, 2008, 2:01 PM
Post #3 of 14 (10523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bbowers] Moving to Albany NY.... where is the Sport Climbing?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bbowers wrote:
Not sure if this is the right place for this or not...I'll be moving to Albany from the Philly area. There's plenty of sport down here, but it seems like everything up by albany is trad. I'm not into trad yet, but I fear I may have to be once I move. Other than Rumney, which is kinda far from albany, is there any other close place for sport climbing, other than the Albany gym?

I'm having similar concerns... I may have to learn trad climbing because I'm moving to Rochester for 6 months. Or drive long distances, or live at the gym.

apolobamba

Jul 14, 2008, 2:19 PM
Post #4 of 14 (10512 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kampfwespe] Moving to Albany NY.... where is the Sport Climbing?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You should have more concerns than that when you realize how far from any rock you are.

freedan

Jul 14, 2008, 3:13 PM
Post #5 of 14 (10496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get yourself a copy of the new comprehensive guide for the Adks (you too kampwebfse) http://www.adirondackrock.com/. The Adirondacks are a trad stronghold but sport exists too as documented in book. I might suggest Shanty, a bunch of new sport routes there (and plenty of trad). Nice setting, moderate approach with a wade across the Sacandaga R.

doze

Jul 22, 2008, 8:15 PM
Post #6 of 14 (10041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Poison Ivy wall at West point. It has >60 bolted routes
PM me if you're going there, I'm always looking for sport partners

spikeddem

Jul 26, 2008, 12:26 AM
Post #7 of 14 (9865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [apolobamba] Moving to Albany NY.... where is the Sport Climbing?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

apolobamba wrote:
You should have more concerns than that when you realize how far from any rock you are.

Is this true? Isn't Albany NY within easy driving distance of both the Gunks and Adirondack?

I'm thinking of doing my masters in Albany, NY and this would be a plus! :)

apolobamba

Jul 26, 2008, 4:18 AM
Post #8 of 14 (9818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Moving to Albany NY.... where is the Sport Climbing?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Albany is somewhat close to the Gunks and ADK (my guess is ~1-2hrs) My comment was to "kampfwespe" who is moving to Rochester, NY.

sbaclimber

Jul 26, 2008, 3:38 PM
Post #9 of 14 (9784 views)
Shortcut

Re: [apolobamba] Moving to Albany NY.... where is the Sport Climbing?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, here's the deal (to the best of my knowledge, which is admittedly a bit out of date...):
Sport climbing is a bit hard to come by in NY, let alone "close" to Albany.
Assuming "close" is within roughly an hour's drive, c4c's suggestion of Buck Mt is about it. Although Little Falls is about the same distance, and also has a *few* (read, not many) sport lines.
As pointed out by doze, the Poison Ivy Wall is probably your next best bet (further than an hour's drive, but one of the highest concentrations of bolted lines in NY).
Further north, there are additional bolted routes to be had, but they will take a bit longer to get to, and don't tend to be in high concentrations. e.g:
King Wall
Poke-O-Moonshine
Roger's Rock
Willsboro Bay
(all listed in the Dacks).

Although toproping is generally an option, you will find that learning a bit of trad will best serve you in NY. Cool

c4c

Jul 27, 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #10 of 14 (9732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Albany is a great location (Roch not-so-much) Buy the book ADK Rock by Lawyer and Haas. There is many more sport routes in the Daks than people think. There is a good gym in Schenectaty(however you spell that?).

sbaclimber

Jul 27, 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #11 of 14 (9726 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] Moving to Albany NY.... where is the Sport Climbing?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

c4c wrote:
There is many more sport routes in the Daks than people think.
e.g. areas? I am honestly curious. I haven't climbed in the 'dacks (or NY in general) since '00, and am rather interested in what has happened in the past 8 years.
(I am definitely going to buy the new guide, just haven't gotten around to it yet...Blush)

healyje

Jul 27, 2008, 6:23 PM
Post #12 of 14 (9686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Learn to trad climb...

dudemanbu

Jul 29, 2008, 2:39 AM
Post #13 of 14 (9519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snow mountain and chapel pond pass (sunshine wall) both have some sport and are about an hour north of albany.

c4c

Jul 31, 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #14 of 14 (9087 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dudemanbu] Moving to Albany NY.... where is the Sport Climbing?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dudemanbu wrote:
snow mountain and chapel pond pass (sunshine wall) both have some sport and are about an hour north of albany.

Neither one of those is an hour from Albany.

Buy the book. look for the X----X----X----X------------X--------------------------XX routes

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook