RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

beagly

Jul 9, 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #1 of 3 (504 views)
Shortcut

Sierra Access
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am planning a trip to the Sierras in Sep and am trying to clarify how access/permits work....I have been to the Inyo Forest website but I thought i'd get confirmation from locals

There are no overnight permits left for Sep for the Whitney area. I think I am permitted to camp outside the Whitney area as defined by the Forest Service, eg north or west of Whitney and Mt Russel, and climb inside the whitney zone on a daily basis. This is all ok as long as I do not enter or leave through the Whitney portal and do not stay overnight. [and have an overnight permit for the John Muir Wilderness]

Is my understanding of this correct? What other access routes can I use in this case? Is this a practical strategy?

For areas outside the Inyo national forest, eg the Minarets or Bear Creek Spire [is that right?] are any permits needed or is this unlimited access?

Thanks

Beagly

no_email_entered

Jul 10, 2008, 12:11 AM
Post #2 of 3 (472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beagly] Sierra Access [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

not sure how sucessful your climb will be if you think your approach is up the main trail. i see 8 open entry days for north fork. get the supertaco book. go to whitney portal store board. permits is easy. show up in Lone Pine. get permits. done.

snoopy138

Jul 10, 2008, 1:34 AM
Post #3 of 3 (446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beagly] Sierra Access [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

beagly wrote:
For areas outside the Inyo national forest, eg the Minarets or Bear Creek Spire [is that right?] are any permits needed or is this unlimited access?

Thanks

Beagly

You need a permit through somebody for the Minarets. Whichever jurisdiction it's in (I think it's something or other National Forest). I assume BCS is the same. I'm assuming you're staying overnight, and not doing the climbs car to car. You're likely okay getting permits the day of for these places, though.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook