Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Frenchies
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

 


camilleguignard


Jul 13, 2008, 7:22 AM
Post #1 of 10 (7369 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 29, 2005
Posts: 30

Frenchies
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have read about frenchies and i still wonder why we should lock off on the way down rather than on the way up, lock off on the way up and then finish the pull up look closer (yet very far) to what we do on the rock
thanks for your comments
have fun climbing


(This post was edited by camilleguignard on Jul 13, 2008, 7:22 AM)


mturner


Jul 13, 2008, 8:24 AM
Post #2 of 10 (7341 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 16, 2005
Posts: 980

Re: [camilleguignard] Frenchies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

agreed, that's how I do them


borntorocku


Jul 13, 2008, 11:43 AM
Post #3 of 10 (7294 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 12, 2003
Posts: 88

Re: [mturner] Frenchies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I lock off on the way up.

Doing too many lock offs tweaks my elbow so I usually add weight.


lena_chita
Moderator

Jul 13, 2008, 2:30 PM
Post #4 of 10 (7224 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 6087

Re: [camilleguignard] Frenchies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I may be completely off-base, but when someone showed me how to do a frenchie, the lock-off wasn't on the way up OR on the way down. The lock-off point was the lowest point of that part of a pull-up.

E.i. one frenchie as shown to me was:
--pull-up
--lower to elbows at 90 degrees angle, lock-off and hold, then pull up all the way up without going further down from 90 degrees
--lower to elbows at 120 degrees angle, lock off and hold, then pull all the way up without going further down from the position when your elbows are bent at 120 degrees
-- lower to elbows almost straight, just a micro-bend, lock-off and hold, then pull back up.


sungam


Jul 13, 2008, 2:45 PM
Post #5 of 10 (7220 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26800

Re: [lena_chita] Frenchies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
I may be completely off-base, but when someone showed me how to do a frenchie, the lock-off wasn't on the way up OR on the way down. The lock-off point was the lowest point of that part of a pull-up.

E.i. one frenchie as shown to me was:
--pull-up
--lower to elbows at 90 degrees angle, lock-off and hold, then pull up all the way up without going further down from 90 degrees
--lower to elbows at 120 degrees angle, lock off and hold, then pull all the way up without going further down from the position when your elbows are bent at 120 degrees
-- lower to elbows almost straight, just a micro-bend, lock-off and hold, then pull back up.
yeah that's right, the lock is the low point.
you can also add a 45 degree lock, too, but most don't. I can see how it would be usefull, though.


mturner


Jul 14, 2008, 9:02 AM
Post #6 of 10 (7107 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 16, 2005
Posts: 980

Re: [sungam] Frenchies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
I may be completely off-base, but when someone showed me how to do a frenchie, the lock-off wasn't on the way up OR on the way down. The lock-off point was the lowest point of that part of a pull-up.

E.i. one frenchie as shown to me was:
--pull-up
--lower to elbows at 90 degrees angle, lock-off and hold, then pull up all the way up without going further down from 90 degrees
--lower to elbows at 120 degrees angle, lock off and hold, then pull all the way up without going further down from the position when your elbows are bent at 120 degrees
-- lower to elbows almost straight, just a micro-bend, lock-off and hold, then pull back up.
yeah that's right, the lock is the low point.
you can also add a 45 degree lock, too, but most don't. I can see how it would be usefull, though.

I do 45,90, 120+

I go all the way up and lock, then all the way down, then 90 and lock and then all the way down, then 120+ and lock and then done. I'd say I am locking on the way up, no?


serious1


Jul 22, 2008, 7:17 AM
Post #7 of 10 (6772 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 24, 2007
Posts: 43

Re: [mturner] Frenchies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://fitness102.blogspot.com/2007/10/do-you-climb-frenchies-can-help.html
I do them this way. I can't believe I didn't start doing them earlier. They're a really good exercise.


mturner


Jul 22, 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #8 of 10 (6713 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 16, 2005
Posts: 980

Re: [serious1] Frenchies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That article sounds like the traditional way of doing frenchies. However, I was surprised to read that you should rest 3 minutes in between sets. I've heard 30 seconds to a minute because this is an endurance exercise, not a power exercise. Interesting.


Arrogant_Bastard


Jul 23, 2008, 9:58 AM
Post #9 of 10 (6611 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 30, 2007
Posts: 19994

Re: [mturner] Frenchies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mturner wrote:
That article sounds like the traditional way of doing frenchies. However, I was surprised to read that you should rest 3 minutes in between sets. I've heard 30 seconds to a minute because this is an endurance exercise, not a power exercise. Interesting.

I think it makes more sense to do them your way (i.e. lock off on your way up and then lower without finishing the pullup). You have a finite amount of energy, so if you finish the pullup you're going to spend more energy on that and be able to do less frenchies. If that's what you want, fine, but I think the lockoffs are more important to a climber than doing boatloads of pullups.

I'd also lean towards shorter rests as you're trying to build up lactic acid tolerance. However, if too short a rest is the difference between being able to do another set or not, perhaps a longer rest would be more beneficial -- at least at the start. With time lessen the rest.


jto


Aug 6, 2008, 1:50 PM
Post #10 of 10 (6226 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 18, 2004
Posts: 272

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Frenchies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You can train strength or strength endurance with different kinds of chins/pullups combining static and dynamic work. So called Frenchies fall in this category too.

- You can stop where ever arm angle you like but stress your weaknesses. Usually 1-3 stops per rep is ok.
- The length of the static work (stops) varies usually between 1-10 seconds.
- The reps can vary also depending on what you´re training for.

Cheers.


Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook