Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

alleyehave

Jul 16, 2008, 5:37 AM
Post #1 of 82 (4291 views)
Shortcut

How am I doing so far?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Trying to build a decent starter rack. I live in Southern California..so destinations like Tahquitz and JTree are mentionable. So Far I have BD Stoppers 7-14 with a copule doubles, DMM Offsets 7-11, WC hex 4/5, bd camalots(singles) .5-2 and a link cam size 2...

Of course I have plenty of slings and biners etc...just talking about pro now...What more would you guys recommend I need to truly get started?

Thanks(and extra thanks for your patience as im sure you get a lot of these threads and I dont wanna cause any infamous RC.com drama!)

Take care and be safe,
Nate

stymingersfink

Jul 16, 2008, 8:03 AM
Post #2 of 82 (4268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alleyehave] How am I doing so far? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

modz: lock this thread, i see nothing good coming of it.

alleyehave

Jul 16, 2008, 8:09 AM
Post #3 of 82 (4266 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] How am I doing so far? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wtf, dont like it dont read it

getout87

Jul 16, 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #4 of 82 (4226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alleyehave wrote:
wtf, dont like it dont read it

uh oh

[puts flame retardant suit on, pops popcorn, sits back to watch the fireworks]

and before anybody else beats me to it, do a search. you'll find ALOT.

granite_grrl

Jul 16, 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #5 of 82 (4225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Um, you're fine?

When I first started doing a lot of trad climbing my "complete" rack didn't have very small or large cams either. Its not a problem to start off like this. Just learn to read the rock (or at least a guide book) and don't get on anything that requires the gear you don't have.

Partner camhead

Jul 16, 2008, 1:56 PM
Post #6 of 82 (4173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alleyehave wrote:
Trying to build a decent starter rack. I live in Southern California..so destinations like Tahquitz and JTree are mentionable. So Far I have BD Stoppers 7-14 with a copule doubles, DMM Offsets 7-11, WC hex 4/5, bd camalots(singles) .5-2 and a link cam size 2...

Of course I have plenty of slings and biners etc...just talking about pro now...What more would you guys recommend I need to truly get started?

Thanks(and extra thanks for your patience as im sure you get a lot of these threads and I dont wanna cause any infamous RC.com drama!)

Take care and be safe,
Nate

you are missing the point completely. you are going to die. you are what's wrong with climbing. stfu noob.

mtselman

Jul 16, 2008, 2:38 PM
Post #7 of 82 (4148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alleyehave wrote:

Take care and be safe,
Nate
Knowledge how to use all the stuff that you already have. Then start leading on what you have and you'll soon figure out what other pieces you may want to add to your rack. A lot of people on here started out with much smaller racks.

notapplicable

Jul 16, 2008, 2:41 PM
Post #8 of 82 (4146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cammycakes wrote:
you are missing the point completely. you are going to die. you are what's wrong with climbing. stfu noob.

Correct^^^ and buy some TCU's. They won't keep you from dying (nothing can) but you will look cooler, lying in the pool of blood.

(This post was edited by notapplicable on Jul 16, 2008, 2:42 PM)

AlexCV

Jul 16, 2008, 3:07 PM
Post #9 of 82 (4121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The TCUs are a fairly cost effective way of increasing your small pro range. The boxed set 1-4 is around 165$. Small nuts could be useful too (I use my DMM/WC #1-3 a lot, that's roughly BD #4-6) and that's like 1.5oz and 20$.

morlebeke

Jul 16, 2008, 3:25 PM
Post #10 of 82 (4106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

buy aliens! I love them! get yellow, green, blue, and black...

styndall

Jul 16, 2008, 3:25 PM
Post #11 of 82 (4106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alleyehave wrote:

Take care and be safe,
Nate

Climb some routes. Make a note when you think to yourself "man, I should have a piece for this." When you've said that a bunch of times, you'll figure out what you need.

Arrogant_Bastard

Jul 16, 2008, 3:59 PM
Post #12 of 82 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alleyehave wrote:

Don't listen to these guys, they're always like this.

For Jtree I'd definately pick up a full set of hexes, I use those things all the time. Maybe double up on the med-large ones. I find tricams work well in all the horizontal cracks at Jtree, those things are everywhere!

For Tahquitz you're going to want doubles in camalots 4-6, and maybe a big bro or two.

I'm glad you got the BD stopper #14, most people don't. That thing is a lifesaver. For reals.

getout87

Jul 16, 2008, 4:43 PM
Post #13 of 82 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] How am I doing so far? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
alleyehave wrote:

For Jtree I'd definately pick up a full set of hexes, I use those things all the time. Maybe double up on the med-large ones. I find tricams work well in all the horizontal cracks at Jtree, those things are everywhere!

For Tahquitz you're going to want doubles in camalots 4-6, and maybe a big bro or two.

I'm glad you got the BD stopper #14, most people don't. That thing is a lifesaver. For reals.

^^Yep, what he said.

sungam

Jul 16, 2008, 4:50 PM
Post #14 of 82 (4026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getout87] How am I doing so far? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

getout87 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
alleyehave wrote:

^^Yep, what he said.
you guys forgot the T chocks.

alleyehave

Jul 16, 2008, 4:52 PM
Post #15 of 82 (4023 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] How am I doing so far? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
alleyehave wrote:

Take care and be safe,
Nate

I'm not new to climbing internet hero, im new to starting a trad rack. Get over yourself and get off the internet newfag.

(This post was edited by alleyehave on Jul 16, 2008, 5:01 PM)

alleyehave

Jul 16, 2008, 4:59 PM
Post #16 of 82 (4017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] How am I doing so far? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
getout87 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
alleyehave wrote:

^^Yep, what he said.

Hey thanks a lot, that was exactly what I was looking for. Although I thought hexes weren't generally good for jtree due to flaring shallow cracks? As for some of the others here, it's pretty obvious these people get off on acting like elitist pricks, it fulfills a sense of importance they lack in real life. Thanks again to the others!

Take care,
Nate

(This post was edited by alleyehave on Jul 16, 2008, 5:02 PM)

stymingersfink

Jul 16, 2008, 5:06 PM
Post #17 of 82 (4007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alleyehave wrote:
sungam wrote:
getout87 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
alleyehave wrote:

^^Yep, what he said.

Hey thanks a lot, that was exactly what I was looking for. Although I thought hexes weren't generally good for jtree due to flaring shallow cracks? As for some of the others here, it's pretty obvious these people get off on acting like elitist pricks, it fulfills a sense of importance they lack in real life. Thanks again to the others!

Take care,
Nate
if you had been hear any length of time, you would know that A_B pretty much stands for All_Bullshit.

now, get yourself some bigbros and take up the sharp end.

sungam

Jul 16, 2008, 5:21 PM
Post #18 of 82 (3989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
alleyehave wrote:
sungam wrote:
getout87 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
alleyehave wrote:

^^Yep, what he said.

Take care,
Nate
if you had been hear any length of time, you would know that A_B pretty much stands for All_Bullshit.

now, get yourself some bigbros and take up the sharp end.
I can't believe he fell for that shit.
In all honesty, the best idea is just to check out what other people have on their racks whereever you are climbing, see what the general trend ios then follow.

zealotnoob

Jul 16, 2008, 5:31 PM
Post #19 of 82 (3981 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] How am I doing so far? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not usually one for tormenting the noobs, but this thread just went "priceless."

stymingersfink

Jul 16, 2008, 5:33 PM
Post #20 of 82 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
^^hey, i guess i was rong, what else can i say?

sungam

Jul 16, 2008, 5:34 PM
Post #21 of 82 (3976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
^^hey, i guess i was rong, what else can i say?
"magnus you bag of hot man love, let me kiss your croc!"?????

theirishman

Jul 16, 2008, 5:35 PM
Post #22 of 82 (3976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zealotnoob] How am I doing so far? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

good job alley! go and find your self a congratulatory blow job! seriously do people need this much approval of what they buy?

alleyehave

Jul 16, 2008, 5:43 PM
Post #23 of 82 (3966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theirishman] How am I doing so far? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

theirishman wrote:
good job alley! go and find your self a congratulatory blow job! seriously do people need this much approval of what they buy?

Are you offering? I'll even throw in an extra $5!

sungam

Jul 16, 2008, 5:46 PM
Post #24 of 82 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alleyehave wrote:
theirishman wrote:

Are you offering? I'll even throw in an extra $5!
This thread has been moved from trad climbing to campground by e-cop"

CaptainPolution

Jul 16, 2008, 6:16 PM
Post #25 of 82 (3948 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alleyehave wrote:
camhead wrote:
alleyehave wrote:

Take care and be safe,
Nate

I'm not new to climbing internet hero, im new to starting a trad rack. Get over yourself and get off the internet newfag.

newfag? HAHA wants so mudkipz with dat?

dude your rack is fine. you will know what to buy when you need it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook