Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

lil_monkey

Jul 14, 2008, 5:15 PM
Post #1 of 39 (9325 views)
Shortcut

olympics?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

does anyone know what's up with rock climbing becoming an olympic sport? i tried googling it, but i had trouble coming up with anything :/

peace

Gmburns2000

Jul 14, 2008, 5:24 PM
Post #2 of 39 (9305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lil_monkey] olympics? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is not an Olympic sport. There is a World Cup circuit and an annual World Cup finals event (at least I think that's how it works), but to the best of my knowledge it is not on the Olympic agenda. Kind of too bad, but it is what it is.

Partner neuroshock

Jul 14, 2008, 9:16 PM
Post #3 of 39 (9233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] olympics? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing is not a [full-medal | exhibition] sport included in the Olympic games, but it is recognized by the IOC as a sport (whatever that really means)

http://www.olympic.org/...ognized/index_uk.asp

sungam

Jul 14, 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #4 of 39 (9180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] olympics? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
It is not an Olympic sport. There is a World Cup circuit and an annual World Cup finals event (at least I think that's how it works), but to the best of my knowledge it is not on the Olympic agenda. Kind of too bad, but it is what it is.
I, for one, think it would ruin climbing.
Getting into climbing shouldn't be a case of "whoah those dudes are ripped, and that is hardcore, I'm gunna be like them!!!"
it should be "damn. that looks good, I'm going to climb it."

skiclimb

Jul 15, 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #5 of 39 (9142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately I am boycotting the olympics due to China's abysmal Human rights record.

I cannot and will not participate in any way I can avoid reasonably , supporting a massive fascist regime.

( they arn't communist they have converted to fascism)

sungam

Jul 15, 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #6 of 39 (9138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] olympics? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:
Unfortunately I am boycotting the olympics due to China's abysmal Human rights record.

I cannot and will not participate in any way I can avoid reasonably , supporting a massive fascist regime.

I have to rofl at anyone who thinks that they are making a difference by doing this.
Kudos for standing to your beliefs, though.

spikeddem

Jul 15, 2008, 3:10 AM
Post #7 of 39 (9100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] olympics? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:

So you're turning down the invite they sent you personally to participate in the games, then? "RSVP ASAP"Laugh

ahimsa

Jul 15, 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #8 of 39 (9032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] olympics? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
skiclimb wrote:

I have to rofl at anyone who thinks that they are making a difference by doing this.
Kudos for standing to your beliefs, though.

The communist regime in china is ridiculously crazy and takes any slight as a full bore insult, i give you for instance the French Prime Minister talking to the dali lama, and the Chinese government having press releases about there fading relations with france. Or when the US awarded the Dali Lama the congressional medal of honor (i believe this is the correct medal) and China stalling on diplomatic talks that where in progress using that as an excuse.
If any number of athletes boycott i would not be surprised if the Chinese government made more publicity out of it then did the athletes themselves. Of course they would be trying to make those athletes look stupid and foolish, but it would be publicity all the same.

climbsomething

Jul 15, 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #9 of 39 (9026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Getting into climbing shouldn't be a case of "whoah those dudes are ripped, and that is hardcore, I'm gunna be like them!!!"
Do you REALLY believe this hasn't already happened without the "benefit" of the Olympics?

sungam

Jul 15, 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #10 of 39 (9021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] olympics? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
sungam wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Do you REALLY believe this hasn't already happened without the "benefit" of the Olympics?
I guees you're refering to the "wanna be like him" thing.
yeah, it's already happened too much. it sucks.
please, no more!

dodguy

Jul 17, 2008, 7:46 PM
Post #11 of 39 (8912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

id like to see rock climbing in the Olympics :)

irregularpanda

Jul 17, 2008, 7:59 PM
Post #12 of 39 (8895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dodguy] olympics? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dodguy wrote:

You sir, are exactly what is wrong with climbing today.

irregularpanda

Jul 17, 2008, 8:03 PM
Post #13 of 39 (8892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jess talking shit, In all seriousness though, it would sadden me to see rockclimbing turn into an olympic event.

Just look at what ice-skating has become. I mean, do you really want to see chris sharma dancing up the plastic holds, wearing leotards with a peacock tail, trying to time the dynos to bon jovi lyrics? And that, ladies and gentlemen, gets the gold!

sungam

Jul 17, 2008, 8:22 PM
Post #14 of 39 (8877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] olympics? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
Jess talking shit, In all seriousness though, it would sadden me to see rockclimbing turn into an olympic event.

Just look at what ice-skating has become. I mean, do you really want to see chris sharma dancing up the plastic holds, wearing leotards with a peacock tail, trying to time the dynos to bon jovi lyrics? And that, ladies and gentlemen, gets the gold!
L
M
F
A
O!!!!!

getout87

Jul 17, 2008, 8:26 PM
Post #15 of 39 (8871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:

L
M
F
A
O!!!!!

somehow, that would still be bad ass. in a non gay way, of course.

the_climber

Jul 17, 2008, 8:33 PM
Post #16 of 39 (8862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dodguy wrote:

AS much as I thought it would be cool to see climbing as an olympic sport when I was climbing in comps (at a much younger age than now), I didn't think it would be right then and I still feel the same now.

Climbing should never be an Olympic sport. To enter suck a persuit as climbing into the Olympics would go against what climbing is. Man (or woman) and mountain.

Somewhere along the lines there was an unfortuate twist within the climbing comunity to "yuppy and pebble/plastic". Besides, last time I checked podiums are hard to seat tourons on when placed along side a climbing route, and yuppy athleats are reserved for tennis, rowing, and ping pong.

(This post was edited by the_climber on Jul 17, 2008, 8:33 PM)

getout87

Jul 17, 2008, 8:35 PM
Post #17 of 39 (8856 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] olympics? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
dodguy wrote:

AS much as I thought it would be cool to see climbing as an olympic sport when I was climbing in comps (at a much younger age than now), I didn't think it would be right then and I still feel the same now.

Climbing should never be an Olympic sport. To enter suck a persuit as climbing into the Olympics would go against what climbing is. Man (or woman) and mountain.

Somewhere along the lines there was an unfortuate twist within the climbing comunity to "yuppy and pebble/plastic". Besides, last time I checked podiums are hard to seat tourons on when placed along side a climbing route, and yuppy athleats are reserved for tennis, rowing, and ping pong.

But I want to wear Ralph Lauren polo's with the collar popped and boat shoes. WTF?

the_climber

Jul 17, 2008, 8:38 PM
Post #18 of 39 (8851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getout87] olympics? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

getout87 wrote:
the_climber wrote:
dodguy wrote:

But I want to wear Ralph Lauren polo's with the collar popped and boat shoes. WTF?

Hey whatever floats your boat... if you get lonely I hear there is a receptionist in Scotland who'll console you in your hard up emotional fasion times. Offer you a pillow to cry on so to speak.

sungam

Jul 17, 2008, 8:42 PM
Post #19 of 39 (8847 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] olympics? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
getout87 wrote:
the_climber wrote:
dodguy wrote:

Hey whatever floats your boat... if you get lonely I hear there is a receptionist in Scotland who'll console you in your hard up emotional fasion times. Offer you a pillow to cry on so to speak.
Tongue

getout87

Jul 17, 2008, 9:07 PM
Post #20 of 39 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
the_climber wrote:
getout87 wrote:
the_climber wrote:
dodguy wrote:

Tongue

i don't like crying with my face in the pillow and my ass in the air. not my bag

sungam

Jul 17, 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #21 of 39 (8830 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

getout87 wrote:
sungam wrote:
the_climber wrote:
getout87 wrote:
the_climber wrote:
dodguy wrote:

Tongue

i don't like crying with my face in the pillow and my ass in the air. not my bag
I laughed.

getout87

Jul 17, 2008, 9:10 PM
Post #22 of 39 (8828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
getout87 wrote:
sungam wrote:
the_climber wrote:
getout87 wrote:
the_climber wrote:
dodguy wrote:

Tongue

I laughed.

because i so accurately nailed your daydream?

hehe nailed

sungam

Jul 17, 2008, 9:31 PM
Post #23 of 39 (8819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

getout87 wrote:
sungam wrote:
getout87 wrote:
sungam wrote:
the_climber wrote:
getout87 wrote:
the_climber wrote:
dodguy wrote:

Tongue

I laughed.

hehe nailed
Sure.
You guys do know that I only hit for one team, right?

notapplicable

Jul 17, 2008, 9:49 PM
Post #24 of 39 (8809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
getout87 wrote:
sungam wrote:
getout87 wrote:
sungam wrote:
the_climber wrote:
getout87 wrote:
the_climber wrote:
dodguy wrote:

Tongue

I laughed.

hehe nailed
Sure.
You guys do know that I only hit for one team, right?

The self limiting tendancy is one of mankind's greatest shortcomings. You sir are whats wrong with ALL of humanity.

sungam

Jul 17, 2008, 9:50 PM
Post #25 of 39 (8805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] olympics? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps, but you know what I DO think should be in the olympics?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook