Forums: Climbing Information: General:
numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rtwilli4

Jul 22, 2008, 3:16 AM
Post #1 of 33 (2461 views)
Shortcut

numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK I have to get this out.

I like reading the posts here. I learn a lot, and am entertained. But I'm tired of reading questions like "how do I do this move" and "what does it take to climb 5.12" or "what am i doing wrong" or "what book will help my footwork."

Why why WHY!!! Do people think that THINKING about stuff and talking about it can help. Sure, reading about how to build an anchor or even finger strength may be productive, but why the hell do people think that they can find out how to climb harder numbers by asking questions on here, and more importantly, WHY DO THEY CARE

Climbing is supposed to be fun. I say that I lead .11b's but the truth is, I don't really know what I can lead at. It may be 10a's or it may be 12a's. I don't even know the grade of the last 10 or 12 lines I've climbed. I've on sighted a few 11c's, and I think I could do it again but I would only do it if it looked like a fun line. Sure I want to climb 5.12 but I probably will do it without even realizing it. Shit, I may have already done it!

I dunno, I'm sorry to ramble... I just wish that everyone could be as carefree and fun loving as me when it comes to climbing. I have the most fun when I climb with n00b's because they don't give a fuck what they are climbing, or how cool their shoes look... they are just happy to be doing it. Lighten up folks... it's sposed to be fun :)

rmiller

Jul 22, 2008, 3:29 AM
Post #2 of 33 (2445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What makes your position on fun more valuable than anyone else's? How do you know the person that perseverates on numbers isn't having as much fun? Seems like you care about "not caring" and maybe someone else cares about gaging their improvement, and the way this sport measures that is through numbers.

dingus

Jul 22, 2008, 3:34 AM
Post #3 of 33 (2433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [I hate this 'autoquote the last poster' bullshit] numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You're right, I don't give a rats ass that you climb 11c. Why bring it up in the first place??? Does it lend credibility to your position?

DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Jul 22, 2008, 3:35 AM)

curt

Jul 22, 2008, 3:44 AM
Post #4 of 33 (2417 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The best climber is the one who has the most spray.

Curt

rtwilli4

Jul 22, 2008, 3:50 AM
Post #5 of 33 (2407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fair comments... i guess I was asking for it.

I do care about what I climb... I just don't think it is important enough to scour the internet for ways to climb harder. I don't think it is possible to learn how to climb harder on this website. Sure you can learn how to train, but some of the questions I see on here just make me want to... well.... take that person climbing with me!!!

To each his own... I was just venting a little.

rtwilli4

Jul 22, 2008, 3:52 AM
Post #6 of 33 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
You're right, I don't give a rats ass that you climb 11c. Why bring it up in the first place??? Does it lend credibility to your position?

DMT

and I think I'd have to be climbing a lot harder than I do to expect credibility just because of the grade I climb.

dingus

Jul 22, 2008, 3:54 AM
Post #7 of 33 (2401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
fair comments... i guess I was asking for it.

I do care about what I climb... I just don't think it is important enough to scour the internet for ways to climb harder. I don't think it is possible to learn how to climb harder on this website. Sure you can learn how to train, but some of the questions I see on here just make me want to... well.... take that person climbing with me!!!

To each his own... I was just venting a little.

Right on dude. You roll with the punches I see.

I would only counter with this... it is perfectly natural for Grasshoppers to Ask Many Questions. Season in / season out, new Grasshoppers ask same ole questions. Oldsters can rant and rave and point to the FAQ's until they go mad (witness JT512) AND STILL GRASSHOPPERS ASK SAME QUESTIONS.

Some teachers teach as a gift. Some teach with kindness. Others, with the rod.

And some folks just ain't cut out for teaching atall.

But no matter what, as sure as 32 feet per second per second, Grasshoppers will ask questions.

Cheers
DMT

rtwilli4

Jul 22, 2008, 3:57 AM
Post #8 of 33 (2393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

always a fan of your insight ding... now i'm going to sleep so I can get up early and go climbing :)

granite_grrl

Jul 22, 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #9 of 33 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
always a fan of your insight ding... now i'm going to sleep so I can get up early and go climbing :)
Wow, you're the worst ranter eva!

I see you still have a lot to learn if you want to cause even a ripple on RC.com.

hyhuu

Jul 22, 2008, 1:12 PM
Post #10 of 33 (2301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For a post ranting about number, there sure are a lot of numbers in this post.

rtwilli4 wrote:

I like reading the posts here. I learn a lot, and am entertained. But I'm tired of reading questions like "how do I do this move" and "what does it take to climb 5.12" or "what am i doing wrong" or "what book will help my footwork."

Why why WHY!!! Do people think that THINKING about stuff and talking about it can help. Sure, reading about how to build an anchor or even finger strength may be productive, but why the hell do people think that they can find out how to climb harder numbers by asking questions on here, and more importantly, WHY DO THEY CARE

Climbing is supposed to be fun. I say that I lead .11b's but the truth is, I don't really know what I can lead at. It may be 10a's or it may be 12a's. I don't even know the grade of the last 10 or 12 lines I've climbed. I've on sighted a few 11c's, and I think I could do it again but I would only do it if it looked like a fun line. Sure I want to climb 5.12 but I probably will do it without even realizing it. Shit, I may have already done it!

I dunno, I'm sorry to ramble... I just wish that everyone could be as carefree and fun loving as me when it comes to climbing. I have the most fun when I climb with n00b's because they don't give a fuck what they are climbing, or how cool their shoes look... they are just happy to be doing it. Lighten up folks... it's sposed to be fun :)

Arrogant_Bastard

Jul 22, 2008, 3:49 PM
Post #11 of 33 (2227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:

I wonder what percentage of "you guys post too much/who care about numbers/I hate rc.knob" rants end in some form of "i can't post anymore because I have to go climb" as a subtle jab saying "LOOK! I CLIMB! I WAS RIGHT AFTERALL!"

chossmonkey

Jul 22, 2008, 4:45 PM
Post #12 of 33 (2200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:

Way to try and disguise your spray.

chossmonkey

Jul 22, 2008, 4:49 PM
Post #13 of 33 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

I wonder what percentage of "you guys post too much/who care about numbers/I hate rc.knob" rants end in some form of "i can't post anymore because I have to go climb" as a subtle jab saying "LOOK! I CLIMB! I WAS RIGHT AFTERALL!"
Fuck it Dude.

Lets go climbing bowling.

getout87

Jul 22, 2008, 5:01 PM
Post #14 of 33 (2171 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

Fuck it Dude.

Bowling? Thats pussy shit. Lets go curling.

granite_grrl

Jul 22, 2008, 5:09 PM
Post #15 of 33 (2158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getout87] numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

getout87 wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

Fuck it Dude.

You're out of your element....

chossmonkey

Jul 22, 2008, 5:15 PM
Post #16 of 33 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
getout87 wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

Fuck it Dude.

You're out of your element....
This is correct.

BTW, you forgot to tell the donny to STFU!!!

But you still get points.

Arrogant_Bastard

Jul 22, 2008, 5:16 PM
Post #17 of 33 (2143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getout87] numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

getout87 wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

Fuck it Dude.

You're obviously not a golfer.

majid_sabet

Jul 22, 2008, 5:16 PM
Post #18 of 33 (2143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmiller] numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rmiller wrote:
What makes your position on fun more valuable than anyone else's? How do you know the person that perseverates on numbers isn't having as much fun? Seems like you care about "not caring" and maybe someone else cares about gaging their improvement, and the way this sport measures that is through numbers.

He is a 5.11+ climber dude

can't you read?

chossmonkey

Jul 22, 2008, 5:21 PM
Post #19 of 33 (2134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
getout87 wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

Fuck it Dude.

Woo, do you think we have the wrong guy?

irregularpanda

Jul 22, 2008, 5:26 PM
Post #20 of 33 (2126 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
getout87 wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

Fuck it Dude.

Woo, do you think we have the wrong guy?

Wanna buy a beanie?

kriso9tails

Jul 22, 2008, 5:33 PM
Post #21 of 33 (2113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
Why why WHY!!! Do people think that THINKING about stuff and talking about it can help.

Yeah man; if there's one major problem with the world it's people THINKING about stuff.

In reply to:
WHY DO THEY CARE[?]

They don't necessarily care. Some people are just lonely and trying to spark what they think to be topical conversation on a climbing forum board. Granted, this is really the wrong place for that, but you have to post up a bit first to get that.

In reply to:
I don't even know the grade of the last 10 or 12 lines I've climbed. I've on sighted a few 11c's, and I think I could do it again but I would only do it if it looked like a fun line. Sure I want to climb 5.12 but I probably will do it without even realizing it. Shit, I may have already done it!

Yeah? Well I don't know the grades of the last thirty or so lines I've climbed. I should also add that I didn't know three times as hard and four times better than you didn't know. And then after that I fell on a 5.1 and didn't even care, 'cause it was a super awesome line and I'm not about the grades.

Anyway, hope the climbing went well today. Hope you crushed that 'it might have been a 12, but then again it might not' in good form.

krusher4

Jul 22, 2008, 6:01 PM
Post #22 of 33 (2080 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wanna buy a beanie?
LOL

Gmburns2000

Jul 22, 2008, 6:04 PM
Post #23 of 33 (2075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:

In reply to:
I don't even know the grade of the last 10 or 12 lines I've climbed. I've on sighted a few 11c's, and I think I could do it again but I would only do it if it looked like a fun line. Sure I want to climb 5.12 but I probably will do it without even realizing it. Shit, I may have already done it!

Yeah? Well I don't know the grades of the last thirty or so lines I've climbed. I should also add that I didn't know three times as hard and four times better than you didn't know. And then after that I fell on a 5.1 and didn't even care, 'cause it was a super awesome line and I'm not about the grades.

I do know the grades of the last 30 climbs I've climbed: they're all in the 5.6 to 5.8 range. I can't tell you which exact 30 climbs I've been on, though with some prodding I'm sure I could remember. But I know the grades because I know my limitations and understand that certain grades don't intrigue me.

For instance, I don't care how interesting a 5.1 looks, I probably won't climb it unless it's the only thing worth climbing in that area. 5.1 just doesn't interest me. On the other side, I'm not at a point where I can climb hard 5.10 trad (though I probably should try). I'm certainly not to a point where I can do it confidently, which is somewhat of a standard I use (confidence + challenge = fulfillment), so why try?

I guess I'm saying that grades are important in helping me to decide how much fun I'm going to have.

Rafajaman

Jul 22, 2008, 6:21 PM
Post #24 of 33 (2057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] numbers numbers numbers, why the numbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as you are pushing yourself, be it physically or mentally, learning new things, and having fun, then you should be proud of yourself. If you're pushing 5.13, cool. If you're pushing 5.8, also cool. You don't need to compare yourself to others. If this is what rtwillie was trying to say, then I agree.

uhoh

Jul 22, 2008, 6:22 PM
Post #25 of 33 (2055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:

I don't ask questions like that but I've found that analyzing my failures have helped me overcome them, especially when it comes to mental blocks.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook