Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Rafajaman

Jul 22, 2008, 1:24 AM
Post #1 of 56 (7412 views)
Shortcut

70m worth it?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am considering purchasing a 70m rope to get an extra 10m of play when looking for a belay, or when trying to tie two pitches together. I am starting to climb near Tahoe and Yosemite/Tuolumne granite. I am looking for opinions as to wether the weight/bulk is worth it or not(I realize this depends on the route/approach/descent), or are there any other drawbacks you know of?

Thank you.

stymingersfink

Jul 22, 2008, 1:33 AM
Post #2 of 56 (7395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rafajaman] 70m worth it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rafajaman wrote:
I am considering purchasing a 70m rope to get an extra 10m of play when looking for a belay, or when trying to tie two pitches together. I am starting to climb near Tahoe and Yosemite/Tuolumne granite. I am looking for opinions as to wether the weight/bulk is worth it or not(I realize this depends on the route/approach/descent), or are there any other drawbacks you know of?

Thank you.
Haven't you heard? 80M is the new 70M, just as 70M is the new 60M and 60m was the old 50M.

Get with the times. Jeesh!Crazy

caughtinside

Jul 22, 2008, 1:47 AM
Post #3 of 56 (7382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's nice to have both a 60 and a 70 to choose from, depending on where you'll be.

For long approaches, a 70 is almost never worth it.

If you plan to/are capable of linking pitches, a 70 can be great.

Some sport routes, a 70 is almost mandatory.

There are some rappels you can do with one 70, or else you need two ropes.

For tahoe, a lot of crags are short, really a 50 is all you need, but a 60 makes you more versatile. Lover's Leap has a few routes where a 70 makes it so you don't need a second rope to rap.

notapplicable

Jul 22, 2008, 6:08 AM
Post #4 of 56 (7344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] 70m worth it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
Rafajaman wrote:

Thank you.
Haven't you heard? 80M is the new 70M, just as 70M is the new 60M and 60m was the old 50M.

Wooh there cowboy, lets not get carried away.

stymingersfink

Jul 22, 2008, 6:35 AM
Post #5 of 56 (7330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] 70m worth it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
Rafajaman wrote:

Thank you.

Git along there little doggies... hya! Wink

dbrayack

Jul 22, 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #6 of 56 (7299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

worth it - you can cut it and have a 60....so you get twice as much time out of it...well not twice but you get the picture.

Partner j_ung

Jul 22, 2008, 1:19 PM
Post #7 of 56 (7253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbrayack] 70m worth it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dbrayack wrote:
worth it - you can cut it and have a 60....so you get twice as much time out of it...well not twice but you get the picture.

That's what I was going to add, too. I think all my ropes going forward will be 70m... (err... 80m?) Wink

the_climber

Jul 22, 2008, 3:53 PM
Post #8 of 56 (7196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
Rafajaman wrote:

Thank you.

You know, he's not that far off the mark.

I know of a few around here that have already either started using 80's or have them on order.

The trend seems to be using a super skinny single 80m that you can douple up and use as per a set of half ropes on wandering alpine pitches, whilst not needing a second rope for the decent. Or using said 80m rope for 3 person teams on alpine and glaciated terrain.

notapplicable

Jul 22, 2008, 4:03 PM
Post #9 of 56 (7189 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] 70m worth it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
Rafajaman wrote:

Thank you.

I know of a few around here that have already either started using 80's or have them on order.

The trend seems to be using a super skinny single 80m that you can douple up and use as per a set of half ropes on wandering alpine pitches, whilst not needing a second rope for the decent. Or using said 80m rope for 3 person teams on alpine and glaciated terrain.

Not to say that one wouldnt be occasionally handy but really it would be more trouble than its worth for most climbers under most circumstances. I wouldnt mind having one in the back of my closet but it wouldnt be my primary rope.

the_climber

Jul 22, 2008, 4:25 PM
Post #10 of 56 (7167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
the_climber wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:

Not to say that one wouldnt be occasionally handy but really it would be more trouble than its worth for most climbers under most circumstances. I wouldnt mind having one in the back of my closet but it wouldnt be my primary rope.
Your right, for the average climber, it would likely be too much hassle for rope management. I'll have to see how it goes when I get a hold of my partners 80m for a few climbs.

As for 70m rope. That likely what my next single will be, paired up with an 8mm tag line for rapping.

shimanilami

Jul 22, 2008, 4:33 PM
Post #11 of 56 (7163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Absolutely worth it, dude.

For trad climbing, the extra 10m might get you to a better belay or reduce the number of rappels you've got to make (which might save some gear in rain-out bail-outs which are not uncommon in the high country).

And while most Yosemite/Tuolemne/Tahoe sport climbs were established before 70m ropes were popular, a lot of new sport climbs and extentions require 70m.

And if shouldering an extra 10m of rope to the crag is really too much of a burden, I'd suggest you leave you're tampons at home instead.

chossmonkey

Jul 22, 2008, 4:34 PM
Post #12 of 56 (7163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] 70m worth it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
dbrayack wrote:

That's what I was going to add, too. I think all my ropes going forward will be 70m... (err... 80m?) Wink
I've actually been considering getting a 70 and cutting it in half before first use. An 80 might be even better. A 35 or 40 meter rope would be perfect for most stuff around here.

the_climber

Jul 22, 2008, 4:46 PM
Post #13 of 56 (7150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] 70m worth it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
j_ung wrote:
dbrayack wrote:

I've actually been considering getting a 70 and cutting it in half before first use. An 80 might be even better. A 35 or 40 meter rope would be perfect for most stuff around here.

Hey I remember when you could still buy 45m ropes.

chossmonkey

Jul 22, 2008, 4:52 PM
Post #14 of 56 (7141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
j_ung wrote:
dbrayack wrote:

Me to, but they were about as available as 50's are today. That was bout when 60's started being the flavor of the month.

Once ropes hit 90m I bet they will go back down to 45M and we can go through it all again.

the_climber

Jul 22, 2008, 4:58 PM
Post #15 of 56 (7130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
the_climber wrote:
Me to, but they were about as available as 50's are today. That was bout when 60's started being the flavor of the month.

Once ropes hit 90m I bet they will go back down to 45M and we can go through it all again.

Hmmm, I remember when 45's readily availibleUnimpressed

I also remember the hype and critisism over OMFG! 55m ropes!
All the comments of "what the hell would you need the extra 5m for?! Don't people know what douples and twins are for anymore?!"

Then 60's became standard, and the same peopel couldn't believe it when someone showed up at the crag with a 50m rope. Then it was the same people saying "Don't you know how much you're limiting yourself with a 50m rope?!"

Interesting times.

getout87

Jul 22, 2008, 5:02 PM
Post #16 of 56 (7126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll probably go with a 70 for my next rope, I like long pitches.

chossmonkey

Jul 22, 2008, 5:05 PM
Post #17 of 56 (7124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I still own a 55m.

As to the OP. some things to consider. You either need to take more gear or run it out if you make your pitches longer. Also be prepared to fall a lot further when you have a lot of rope out. Or even if you don't have much rope out since the skinny lines tend to stretch a lot more. Skinny ropes wear out faster than thicker ropes too. You could likely have a lighter, more durrable rope that costs less money if you go with the shorter rope.

irregularpanda

Jul 22, 2008, 5:25 PM
Post #18 of 56 (7102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rafajaman wrote:

Thank you.

Just get a 100m, and in 5 years, you'll be able to say I told you so. Wanna buy a beanie?

stymingersfink

Jul 22, 2008, 5:26 PM
Post #19 of 56 (7101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
I still own a 55m.

As to the OP. some things to consider. You either need to take more gear or run it out if you make your pitches longer. Also be prepared to fall a lot further when you have a lot of rope out. Or even if you don't have much rope out since the skinny lines tend to stretch a lot more. Skinny ropes wear out faster than thicker ropes too. You could likely have a lighter, more durrable rope that costs less money if you go with the shorter rope.
i still climb on a 50M some days. It has its uses, that's for sure.

mach2

Jul 22, 2008, 5:57 PM
Post #20 of 56 (7070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first and foremost, 70m is awesome if for no other reason than you can link the same pitches as 60m folks but without the worry of running out of rope. That beig said though, communication between belay/lead is tough enough on 60m when your surroundings decide to have their say. Typically I use radios in this situation, or rope communication. But, I'm curious if anyone has a great system for communication that doesn't use batteries, and offers more to say than your typical commands as ropes grow to spool-like lengths

sspssp

Jul 22, 2008, 6:03 PM
Post #21 of 56 (7063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are on a limited budget and are only going to have one rope, I would probably stick with a 60m. You will probably have to special order a 70 whereas you can usually find a 60 on sale.

Between my main partner and I, we have a lot of ropes including a superskinny 70 and a fat 70. For alpine and/or easy moderate multi-pitch we take the skinny 70. It is nice to occasionally link pitches and I rarely carry a second rap rope. Most raps are 35 meters or less and if need be, we can build a rap anchor.

The fat 70 is for cragging. It is an unnecessary luxury, but there are a significant number of routes out there that you can TR/lower from using a single 70 instead of two 60s.

(This post was edited by sspssp on Jul 22, 2008, 6:04 PM)

notapplicable

Jul 22, 2008, 6:17 PM
Post #22 of 56 (7049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
As for 70m rope. That likely what my next single will be, paired up with an 8mm tag line for rapping.

Yep, been thinking the same thing myself lately. I've got less practical use for a 70m out here on the EC but I'm gonna get one for my next cord anyway. I used one for 4 days on multi pitch stuff and really liked it.

zealotnoob

Jul 22, 2008, 7:50 PM
Post #23 of 56 (7005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I purchased a 70m and regretted it. It has been rare that the added length has been worth the weight.

For long pitches and raps, I'm loving thin doubles.

acorneau

Jul 22, 2008, 8:22 PM
Post #24 of 56 (6995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zealotnoob] 70m worth it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zealotnoob wrote:
I purchased a 70m and regretted it. It has been rare that the added length has been worth the weight.

Just curious: did you cut it down or just live with your "regret"?
Angelic

zealotnoob

Jul 22, 2008, 8:54 PM
Post #25 of 56 (6981 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] 70m worth it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The rope sits idle, waiting for its moment to shine.

Until then, I continue to fall in love with my doubles.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook