RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

notapplicable

Jul 24, 2008, 12:12 AM
Post #1 of 22 (19254 views)
Shortcut

Michael Hankins an Experienced soloist fell in Eldorado Canyon
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This thread is a replacement for the original that was sent to the recycling bin after conversation turned disrespectful.

The climber has now been identified as Michael Hankins, a very experienced climber who has been in the sport for more than 30 years. He is currently in "very critical" condition and with no prognosis given. He was soloing when he fell.

I hope he heals quickly and can climb again in the not to distant future.

http://www.dailycamera.com/...tified-oklahoma-man/

http://www.dailycamera.com/...each-fallen-climber/

majid_sabet

Jul 24, 2008, 12:18 AM
Post #2 of 22 (19233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Michael Hankins an Experienced soloist fell in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Why mods are turning to SS Nazi agents?

They can't just keep deleting post just because of 1-2 bad apples. There were plenty of good conversation in the original report and I think deleting post is not the right solution. You could ban members if they are causing problem but deleing the entire post is childish.

notapplicable

Jul 24, 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #3 of 22 (19222 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Michael Hankins an Experienced soloist fell in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a thread on MP with more information, link here - http://www.mountainproject.com/...morning/106211174__2

A nurse had this to say about his current condition:

"He has chest tubes in both sides, is on a respirator, was unresponsive even before sedation, his blood pressure is too low, he had multiple open, compound fractures of both legs, compound fractures of the left arm, multiple major facial fractures, a broken pelvis and several broken ribs. He's so unstable that they couldn't even completely clean or dress his wounds without killing him so she said infection will be a big issue. Rhonda takes care of him 12 hours straight and no one else. She said things are not going in a good direction but she will do her best."

billl7

Jul 24, 2008, 1:02 AM
Post #4 of 22 (19179 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Michael Hankins an Experienced soloist fell in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Sometimes, for the sake of those truely involved it is best to just wipe the slate clean - as in this case.

Edit: Best wishes to Michael and those close to him.

(This post was edited by billl7 on Jul 24, 2008, 1:25 AM)

cacalderon

Jul 24, 2008, 1:17 AM
Post #5 of 22 (19157 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Michael Hankins an Experienced soloist fell in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sad news. let's hope he makes it.

Partner macherry

Jul 24, 2008, 2:23 AM
Post #6 of 22 (19076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

They can't just keep deleting post just because of 1-2 bad apples. There were plenty of good conversation in the original report and I think deleting post is not the right solution. You could ban members if they are causing problem but deleing the entire post is childish.

this forum is highly moderated. there were many inappropriate posts and so they were moved to the recycle forum. Please keep in mind that relatives and friends of the injured parties do read the forums at rc.com. Please keep it respectful.

We do not delete posts, but move inappropriate posts to the recycle forum. it's unfortunate that good debate gets moved with the bad, but that's how it goes.

climbs4fun issued a couple of warnings, but they went ignored.

any more crass or inappropriate posts will result in tarpits or bans.

dayspringgirl

Jul 24, 2008, 2:28 AM
Post #7 of 22 (19066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Michael Hankins an Experienced soloist fell in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We all wish our best to you mike.

climbs4fun

Jul 24, 2008, 5:40 AM
Post #8 of 22 (18920 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

I'm the one that did it, and I agree with you Majid. I tried to get rid of the couple of posts that were the problem and it sent large chunks of the thread to recycle. At that point, my only recourse was to send the whole thing and let the thread be posted again. It was a problem with the tools that I have at my disposal, not a wish to be heavy handed in moderating. I do find much irony in you calling my solution childish, however.

(This post was edited by climbs4fun on Jul 24, 2008, 5:41 AM)

majid_sabet

Jul 24, 2008, 6:08 AM
Post #9 of 22 (18898 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbs4fun] Michael Hankins an Experienced soloist fell in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

,I'm the one that did it, and I agree with you Majid. I tried to get rid of the couple of posts that were the problem and it sent large chunks of the thread to recycle. At that point, my only recourse was to send the whole thing and let the thread be posted again. It was a problem with the tools that I have at my disposal, not a wish to be heavy handed in moderating. I do find much irony in you calling my solution childish, however.

Threads derails and that is not a new thing round here. I in particular read and pay attention to I&A threads not because I generally post great portion of them but because large amount related information is shared by other members.

I think every one knows that a on-line site is available to not just people in here but to every climber in the world and occasionally, families and friends drop in RC to see what we are up to or to seek additional info about their love ones.

if few climbers are expressing their views about a situation, then they have a right to talk about it. we can not become a judge or execute an order just because we do not like their views.

If someone feels that soloist are ignorant or boulder rats are bunch of punks, they have the right to talk about their views. Mods can,t police and gun down people's view just because they do not agree with an individual's right to exress their thoughts.

I know most mods in RC are fair players but deleting a threads should be used as the step in controlling the RC troublemakers.

binrat

Jul 24, 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #10 of 22 (18845 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK,
lets hope Micheal makes a full recovery.

binrat

(This post was edited by binrat on Jul 24, 2008, 12:22 PM)

sungam

Jul 24, 2008, 12:11 PM
Post #11 of 22 (18808 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

,I'm the one that did it, and I agree with you Majid. I tried to get rid of the couple of posts that were the problem and it sent large chunks of the thread to recycle. At that point, my only recourse was to send the whole thing and let the thread be posted again. It was a problem with the tools that I have at my disposal, not a wish to be heavy handed in moderating. I do find much irony in you calling my solution childish, however.

Threads derails and that is not a new thing round here. I in particular read and pay attention to I&A threads not because I generally post great portion of them but because large amount related information is shared by other members.

I think every one knows that a on-line site is available to not just people in here but to every climber in the world and occasionally, families and friends drop in RC to see what we are up to or to seek additional info about their love ones.

if few climbers are expressing their views about a situation, then they have a right to talk about it. we can not become a judge or execute an order just because we do not like their views.

If someone feels that soloist are ignorant or boulder rats are bunch of punks, they have the right to talk about their views. Mods can,t police and gun down people's view just because they do not agree with an individual's right to exress their thoughts.

I know most mods in RC are fair players but deleting a threads should be used as the step in controlling the RC troublemakers.[/quote
Don't you get it?
This is a forum for reporting incidents and keeping people updated on the conditions of the persons involved, not a place to display your opinions. (A few days in the meatpit might help him realize that you are serious)
More imortantly:
Here's another wave of +++ positive forces going his way.

granite_grrl

Jul 24, 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #12 of 22 (18760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Michael Hankins an Experienced soloist fell in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
There is a thread on MP with more information, link here - http://www.mountainproject.com/...morning/106211174__2

A nurse had this to say about his current condition:

"He has chest tubes in both sides, is on a respirator, was unresponsive even before sedation, his blood pressure is too low, he had multiple open, compound fractures of both legs, compound fractures of the left arm, multiple major facial fractures, a broken pelvis and several broken ribs. He's so unstable that they couldn't even completely clean or dress his wounds without killing him so she said infection will be a big issue. Rhonda takes care of him 12 hours straight and no one else. She said things are not going in a good direction but she will do her best."

Wow, I hope to hear more updates, hopefully of him improving.

Majid, mods, everyone else....this man is in serious condition, lets try to keep this thread on track.

billl7

Jul 24, 2008, 1:01 PM
Post #13 of 22 (18758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
If someone feels that soloist are ignorant or boulder rats are bunch of punks, they have the right to talk about their views.
No problem with a general discussion like that. But intentionally or unintentionally focusing that (i.e., criticism) on one person that had an accident has in the past obviously been a problem.

Maybe the general discussion you mention doesn't belong in I&A - there are other forums. Or perhaps those like yourself who post such threads should start the thread indicating the topic: it is for well wishers or it is to dissect the specific accident and/or express opinions specific to the accident.

Well, I know that it is not always so clear when something in I&A will be explosive. The need to occasionally remove threads from public view will continue. Mainly, I'm suggesting that it isn't just the mods who can influence how things go on RC.com. Regular posters such as yourself can take the lead too.

Bill L

Gmburns2000

Jul 24, 2008, 3:38 PM
Post #14 of 22 (18581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

I know most mods in RC are fair players but deleting a threads should be used as the step in controlling the RC troublemakers.

I'm with you on this one Majid.

edit: fixed a typo

(This post was edited by Gmburns2000 on Jul 24, 2008, 3:38 PM)

lena_chita

Jul 24, 2008, 4:27 PM
Post #15 of 22 (18500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Michael Hankins an Experienced soloist fell in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Wow, I hope to hear more updates, hopefully of him improving.

Majid, mods, everyone else....this man is in serious condition, lets try to keep this thread on track.

Agree. My thoughts are with him and his family.

bob_54b

Jul 24, 2008, 4:45 PM
Post #16 of 22 (18471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Michael Hankins an Experienced soloist fell in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

agree.

best wishes to Michael, what a rough deal.

notapplicable

Jul 24, 2008, 4:50 PM
Post #17 of 22 (18466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Michael Hankins an Experienced soloist fell in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

I'm with you on this one Majid.

edit: fixed a typo

There is a thread in general where you guys can have this discussion. It's an important discussion but it belongs in its own thread. Thanks http://www.rockclimbing.com/...8;page=unread#unread

delila99

Aug 8, 2008, 12:18 PM
Post #18 of 22 (17516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone know what happened to Mike? Did he make it?? Unsure

Hope he's ok. His injuries sound terrible... Unsure

notapplicable

Aug 9, 2008, 3:44 AM
Post #19 of 22 (17329 views)
Shortcut

Re: [delila99] Michael Hankins an Experienced soloist fell in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

delila99 wrote:
Does anyone know what happened to Mike? Did he make it?? Unsure

Hope he's ok. His injuries sound terrible... Unsure

Theres good news on that front. This is from the thread on MP -

In reply to:
Randy phoned this morning and said that last night Mike blinked his eyes so great sign. Then this morning at 4:00 am his nurse, Rhonda, said that Mike woke up! Yes he woke up! She gave him some commands to wiggle his toes and then move his arm but nothing then she asked him to stick out his tongue which he did! We are so excited; it looks like the Doctor nailed it last week when he said that Mike would in fact wake up in about a week! Everyone agrees it was fitting for Rhonda to be there as she was there for him that first night he came in. While we all wish we had been there when he woke up..…well that’s classic Mike style for ya.

Mike has had surgeries almost everyday last week, so he's had to endure quite a bit; this too has probably slowed down the waking process. His major surgeries are over so he's on the road to healing.

He's had about as rough a last few days as the human body can handle but it looks like he is going to make a recovery. Hes got a long road ahead for sure but ^this^ is damn good news, all things considered.

I recommend reading the thread that quote came from. It sounds like Mike was an accomplished climber and a really good person, his friends speak well of him.

seanpmccormick

Jan 18, 2009, 7:59 PM
Post #20 of 22 (16179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any news on Michael?

billcoe_

Feb 20, 2009, 7:20 PM
Post #21 of 22 (15685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seanpmccormick] Michael Hankins an Experienced soloist fell in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shit, I've spent the last 2 days working out a free solo in my mind which I was thinking of doing tomorrow. Now I am second guessing myself.

Good luck Michael, hope you pull through and get back to 100% soon. Those poor women at the base of the route...damn...that's stuffs rough right there.

billcoe_

Feb 20, 2009, 7:37 PM
Post #22 of 22 (15655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Michael Hankins an Experienced soloist fell in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just realized that this was a last year story and isn't current at all!

The part I was stunned by:
"The sister and girlfriend of a man who suffered fatal injuries in a fall at Eldorado Canyon State Park earlier this month were mourning his death at the accident site Tuesday when another man fell 50 to 60 feet in nearly the same spot.

The two women were beneath the Werk Supp climbing route Tuesday to mourn the death of 47-year-old Preston Brennan, of Superior, who fell July 13. Soon after they arrived, a man fell from the Bastille rock formation and was then airlifted to Denver’s St. Anthony Central Hospital with critical injuries.

Brennan, who was wearing a helmet, fell 50 feet from the formation. He died Friday as a result of the injuries. A sheriff’s sergeant at the scene confirmed the man fell Tuesday in almost the same spot as Brennan.

According to Brennan’s sister-in-law Caren Claman, Brennan’s girlfriend said she couldn’t watch the man climbing Tuesday and turned away. Before his sister could turn away, she watched the climber re-enact her brother’s fatal fall. He landed close to where the women were standing.

“They were just going up there because Margot woke up and decided she wanted to see where her brother fell,” Claman said. “Who would think they would go through it again? Our heart certainly goes out to the man’s family, wherever they are.”

Claman said the two women were upset and in shock from “living it all over again.” They did not want to be identified or interviewed for the story.

The name and age of the climber who fell Tuesday have not been released. He was not wearing a helmet, according to the Sheriff’s Office. He was found at the base of the formation at about 12:10 p.m."

PS, just cause the first guy had a helmet and died while the 2nd guy was only injured, shouldn't mean this should turn into a helmet discussion now.

Evidently the last news I saw was he was out of a coma Aug 5th.

http://www.dailycamera.com/...limber-emerges-coma/

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook