RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

billl7

Jul 26, 2008, 10:35 PM
Post #1 of 24 (9112 views)
Shortcut

when you zig and/or zag
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The remnants of Hurricane Dolly are outside and so are the true mountaineers. So, for the rest of us, consider the following outline of a trad route:

There are several particular things to consider when leading this - one which surprised me a couple weeks ago. So, name the issues and state how to deal with them. Ah ....

If you've been leading for X years then don't answer for at least Y hours:

X / Y
0 / 0
1 / 4
2 / 8
3 / 12
4 / 16

Bill L

(This post was edited by billl7 on Jul 29, 2008, 3:29 AM)

Factor2

Jul 26, 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #2 of 24 (9081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] when you zig and/or zag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

issue:
rope drag
solution:don't place pro
issue:swing for second
solution:screw second

billl7

Jul 26, 2008, 11:30 PM
Post #3 of 24 (9071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Factor2] when you zig and/or zag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Factor2 wrote:
issue:
rope drag
solution:don't place pro
issue:swing for second
solution:screw second
Meh - not that much rope drag!

mattb1921

Jul 28, 2008, 1:14 AM
Post #4 of 24 (8968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am curious is this a route in New Mexico? I also think that you would have to be more specific as to how easy and moderate. If it is pretty easy it seems like it could be possible to run it out from BC and then place some pro between CD and use double ropes. You could also climb to C and bring second over and then belay from there. Either way it seems like a pretty crappy situation for a second.

On a side note here in Albuquerque we had some weather but Sandia climbing this weekend was great. Just a little wet. Hope you aren't down south with all that flooding.

ja1484

Jul 28, 2008, 2:06 AM
Post #5 of 24 (8953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rope solo to D, place your first piece there, climb route.

Not rocket surgery.

30 feet ain't that high unprotected over easy terrain. Just don't fuck up.

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Jul 28, 2008, 2:07 AM)

billl7

Jul 28, 2008, 2:26 AM
Post #6 of 24 (8941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattb1921] when you zig and/or zag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mattb1921 wrote:
I am curious is this a route in New Mexico?
No, not in New Mexico. Colorado - sort of - but it doesn't really matter.

mattb1921 wrote:
I also think that you would have to be more specific as to how easy and moderate.
Easy / moderate / hard for whoever the leader is. I meant to make this less about a particular route and more about dealing with the issues. Ask again and I'll tell the whole story ... eventually.

mattb1921 wrote:
If it is pretty easy it seems like it could be possible to run it out from BC and then place some pro between CD and use double ropes.
The leader only has a single rope on hand. Yes, pro between CD - for the leader and for the second.

mattb1921 wrote:
You could also climb to C and bring second over and then belay from there. Either way it seems like a pretty crappy situation for a second. .
Not too bad. BC is really really easy for both. CD is harder for the second but plenty pro to keep things safe for both leader and second. [Okay, that's 1 of 3 issues I had in mind.]

mattb1921 wrote:
On a side note here in Albuquerque we had some weather but Sandia climbing this weekend was great. Just a little wet. Hope you aren't down south with all that flooding.
I was in the Sandias as well Friday and Sunday - but in the foothills ... call me timid about the weather.Smile

billl7

Jul 28, 2008, 2:28 AM
Post #7 of 24 (8935 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] when you zig and/or zag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
Rope solo to D, place your first piece there, climb route.
The second is not as strong as the leader. Wait, "rope solo" probably means no second. Well, today the leader took the significant other or something as a second.

(This post was edited by billl7 on Jul 28, 2008, 2:33 AM)

mattb1921

Jul 28, 2008, 3:07 PM
Post #8 of 24 (8791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the second can do BC with ease then take it to C set the Belay up and then protect CD. YOu can even simul climb BC if you were worried. It sounds like you would want to Belay at D to bring the second over from C before going up. It seems slow but better than putting your second in an akward situation.

You know the Sandias have been getting clouds built up over them the last few weekends and it never seems to rain.

spikeddem

Jul 28, 2008, 9:39 PM
Post #9 of 24 (8731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dyno. Problem solved.

billl7

Jul 29, 2008, 3:28 AM
Post #10 of 24 (8656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mattb1921 wrote:
If the second can do BC with ease then take it to C set the Belay up and then protect CD. YOu can even simul climb BC if you were worried. It sounds like you would want to Belay at D to bring the second over from C before going up. It seems slow but better than putting your second in an akward situation.
That solves the 2nd issue: B, C, and D all need anchor-like protection because of the decking potential from the slack introduced if pro at one of them fails. That is counter to a vertical route:

A common rule of thumb is to have two pieces of pro between the leader and the deck. In the middle of a vertical pitch this can mean quite a space between pieces of pro which may not true for such zig-zags.

(This post was edited by billl7 on Jul 29, 2008, 3:34 AM)

GeneralBenson

Jul 29, 2008, 2:37 PM
Post #11 of 24 (8581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Could you just make a short pitch to C, set up a belay, then bring up the second and then lead C to E. That way you could sufficiently protect both without too much drag.

blueeyedclimber

Jul 29, 2008, 2:54 PM
Post #12 of 24 (8568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralBenson] when you zig and/or zag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

double ropes. Duh?

Partner cracklover

Jul 29, 2008, 3:16 PM
Post #13 of 24 (8552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If A-B is hard, I'd set a belay at B. Then we'd both walk to C. C-E would be a second pitch. The rope drag shouldn't be too bad for the leader.

But I have to say, this is a perfect situation for double ropes. So if it were me, with such a short route, I would probably double the single rope over and use the two strands with doubles technique. In the following picture, the red strands show where the ropes would run after the leader has finished the pitch, before the second starts climbing.

All right-side climbing on the right-side rope, all left-side climbing on the left-side rope. Problem solved.

I've been climbing 10 years. Did I wait long enough to answer?

GO

billl7

Jul 29, 2008, 5:52 PM
Post #14 of 24 (8493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] when you zig and/or zag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
double ropes. Duh?
Perhaps. In my case, this was the third pitch and the zig-zag wasn't a given when we left the ground. So far, my default preference is to climb with a single (a default which of course points to a whole 'nother topic of discussion).

Bill

billl7

Jul 29, 2008, 7:00 PM
Post #15 of 24 (8470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] when you zig and/or zag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover, nice trick to have available - using a single rope for a double if the pitch isn't too long.

In the experience I had, we used a single rope. The rope drag was there but not too bad. And in hindsight, I'd set an intermediate belay at C. BC was mostly easy enough to go unroped except close to C

Admittedly, the X-Y thing was a bit geek-y. :-)

The 3rd issue: If done in one pitch on a single rope as shown, I found there's a tendancy for slack to 'build up' due to the horizontal stretches. Sure, when making progress things are pretty tight. But stop to set non-trivial pro on easy terrain and horizontal stretches tend to sag. I took a fall on the DE section and went at least 2 times as far as expected: my feet were just touching the ledge. So I aided back up, checked the last pro (sparse wtih thin gear) and added another piece. But before giving DE another go, I had my belayer take tension to get out most all slack. Then I proceeded to climb, fell again with a much shorter flight.

So my last point is that horizontal stretches of rope can tend to 'build up' slack under the right conditions unlike a vertical route. At least, I think that explains the longer-than-expected fall and we just didn't recognize it at first. Much of this is alleviated by breaking up the pitch and/or using doubles as has been suggested. Temporarily tensioning the line seemed to make a difference as well.

AlexCV

Jul 29, 2008, 8:00 PM
Post #16 of 24 (8446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you rip a pro that is far to the side, you'll get a whole lot more slack then expected too.

billl7

Jul 29, 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #17 of 24 (8384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AlexCV] when you zig and/or zag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AlexCV wrote:
If you rip a pro that is far to the side, you'll get a whole lot more slack then expected too.
That's a really good point, particulary because the fall from the hard moves to the ledge was relatively short. The pro at C needs to be anchor-like. I had a bolt at B, two cams at C, and two slider nuts with an opposing nut at D (plus other pro along CD). In hindsight, I would move the belay up to C before continuing. Or double ropes would do.

Bill L

caughtinside

Jul 30, 2008, 12:20 AM
Post #18 of 24 (8362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A forty foot traverse to avoid the crux is hardly sporting.

billl7

Jul 30, 2008, 1:06 AM
Post #19 of 24 (8352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] when you zig and/or zag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
A forty foot traverse to avoid the crux is hardly sporting.
Precisely. Fortunately it was trad. BlushWink

jsj7051

Aug 7, 2008, 3:06 AM
Post #20 of 24 (7930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
cracklover, nice trick to have available - using a single rope for a double if the pitch isn't too long.

In the experience I had, we used a single rope. The rope drag was there but not too bad. And in hindsight, I'd set an intermediate belay at C. BC was mostly easy enough to go unroped except close to C

Admittedly, the X-Y thing was a bit geek-y. :-)

The 3rd issue: If done in one pitch on a single rope as shown, I found there's a tendancy for slack to 'build up' due to the horizontal stretches. Sure, when making progress things are pretty tight. But stop to set non-trivial pro on easy terrain and horizontal stretches tend to sag. I took a fall on the DE section and went at least 2 times as far as expected: my feet were just touching the ledge. So I aided back up, checked the last pro (sparse wtih thin gear) and added another piece. But before giving DE another go, I had my belayer take tension to get out most all slack. Then I proceeded to climb, fell again with a much shorter flight.

So my last point is that horizontal stretches of rope can tend to 'build up' slack under the right conditions unlike a vertical route. At least, I think that explains the longer-than-expected fall and we just didn't recognize it at first. Much of this is alleviated by breaking up the pitch and/or using doubles as has been suggested. Temporarily tensioning the line seemed to make a difference as well.

Seems to me you answered you'r own question with the mention of "slack" in the rope. This is really a little realized problem. Belaying as little as 3' from the rock face can sometimes result in enough slack to allow a leader to get hurt. "Protecting the Pitch" is something belayers need to be taught by the leader. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ ,it's just a serious issue. I won't let anyone belay me that doesn't know what that (protecting the pitch) is. Also, sounds like the belayer could have mentioned that there was a lot of slack befor the crux was attempted sense he had a better view of the rope than the leader . You'r drawing really made think the problem thru and I learned a few things. Thanks for posting it.

billl7

Aug 7, 2008, 12:56 PM
Post #21 of 24 (7893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsj7051] when you zig and/or zag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like that phrase: "protecting the pitch" used regarding both the leader and the belayer.

The circumstances were a little unusual: relatively large horizontal sections. It would be interesting to experiment some. How well can the belayer recognize when the horizontal droop is significant? Can the belayer keep the slack out that is caused by the horizontal droop factor - without causing undue rope drag? Having the belayer take tension and then let off at key points - is that still a problem looking for a different solution (some mentioned already)?

Those aren't questions I hope to answer in this thread as circumstances change route-to-route. In this case, I'm more of a view that the better thing is to break up the pitch or perhaps use double ropes. However, double ropes isn't a solution for a route with a long traverse.

Cheers!

Bill

AlexCV

Aug 7, 2008, 4:13 PM
Post #22 of 24 (7842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Remember that at D you have approximately 97 ft. of rope out (use pythagora, 95 just summing the lines), even without any form of extra slack you're looking at a lot of rope stretch. Being 30ft. from the belayer doesn't nullify that stretch.

skinner

Aug 7, 2008, 5:02 PM
Post #23 of 24 (7818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AlexCV] when you zig and/or zag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It would depend on the capabilities of my second and the "BD" terrain, but I'd try to eliminate some or most of the traverse, even if it meant lowering off of "E" and reversing the traverse, placing an intermediate piece between "D" and "C", then (back-clean) remove "C" altogether, scamper back up and bring up my second.

Back-cleaning "C" on the way up would be more efficient, after getting your next piece in, but I'm assuming that I've already arrived at "E" by the drawing.

(This post was edited by skinner on Aug 7, 2008, 5:05 PM)

evanwish

Aug 14, 2008, 5:35 AM
Post #24 of 24 (7508 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why not just back-clean that moderate section??

then when done there would be no gear over there and No rope drag....

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook