RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

Anomen

Aug 2, 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1641 views)
Shortcut

Allamuchy State Park
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi I'm kinda new to posting on these forums. I've been a member for a while but just mostly a reader... so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

This is directed toward anyone who is familiar with the cliffs at Allamuchy State Park in New Jersey.

Today I was bored so I decided to check out the cliffs at Allamuchy State Park by myself. I've lived in the Stanhope/Byram area for about 10 years or so, but just recently got into climbing (my arms still hurt from going to the NJ rock gym for the first time Wednesday Cool) so I had no idea that they were back there... but thanks to this site, I found them.

I parked and walked up from the second gravel pull off of waterloo road. It took about 10 minutes of uphill hiking but i found i guess the top most cliff? I'm not really sure. but I walked around and found a few more really cool looking climbs, to finish off my exploration with the main wall which was pretty exciting to just look at. I snapped a few pictures on my phone of a few of the cliffs which I will upload in a bit.

Now for the point of this thread. Does anyone know if police or rangers like to patrol the area? if so... do they still ask for you to pay some type of fee to climb?

also... what is good to know about this area? from what I've seen it looks really neat, I just only had about an hour or so to explore since it started down pouring Unsure

I cant wait to climb it! it looks amazing.

Aunor

Aug 2, 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1636 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Anomen] Allamuchy State Park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Easily the most "developed" climbing area in the state, Allamuchy has been popular with local underground craggers for years. Now that it's legal to climb there, climbers can enjoy the park's bouldering sites and even some longer wall climbs on Allamuchy Mountain with a drive-up-and-climb kind of convenience that you won't find elsewhere in the state. Enter off of Stephen's Park Road in Warren County."

Explore NJ Climbs

And

On this site

coolcat83

Aug 3, 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A get the rock climbing nj guidebook, it will serve you well, B get and sign the nj climbing waiver, therangers there sometimes ask you for it, there is no fee, BUT please be as low impact as possible, all of nj is trad, bolting is NOT ALLOWED IN NJ. leave no trace and you should be fine, check out the routes section of this site and you'll find some of the routes.

Anomen

Aug 3, 2008, 2:58 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1607 views)
Shortcut

Allamuchy State Park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Aunor: thanks a lot for the links. I will definitely research them.

Coolcat83: is this the book you speak of?

http://books.wildernet.com/sho067.html

if so I will def pick it up. from what i see about it on the internet it looks like it would be quite useful.

I really appreciate the responses guys. I'm so excited about climbing. I've never been into a sport so much before. Growing up I would always go outside and climb trees for fun. Because of this I guess I learned how to manage my weight pretty decently, so even though its been a little while since I was an avid climber... I still think I got it.

As for keeping the sites clean... you got it. I'm one of those people that If I see garbage on the ground, I usually pick it up and throw it out (depending on how gross it looks). It really pisses me off when people don't know how to clean up after themselves. (I would know... I work in retail Unsure) But yeah for bolting I wont do that either... because I don't even know how :P

where can I find the climbing waiver? the state park office?

coolcat83

Aug 3, 2008, 3:40 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that's the book. you need to be able to make gear anchors, so if it's been a while make sure your gear is still ok, and if you don't have trad experience, go with someone who knows how to set anchors or take aclass

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook