Lost gear anyone?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mike_devildog

Aug 4, 2008, 12:51 PM
Post #1 of 34 (7044 views)
Shortcut

Lost gear anyone?  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: Seneca_Rocks_Region: The_Panhandle: Seneca_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

yesterday i was on sixth sense.. when someone yelled rock..thank you by the way...when i was lowered it appeared to be gear instead..a biner with a set of stoppers on it.. the last name appears to be Wu/Woo or something like that on the biner. So if you were on the ecstacy buttress around noon, and you lost some gear..hit me up and i'll get it to you!Peace!

stymingersfink

Aug 4, 2008, 9:48 PM
Post #2 of 34 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mike_devildog] Lost gear anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mike_devildog wrote:
yesterday i was on sixth sense.. when someone yelled rock..thank you by the way...when i was lowered it appeared to be gear instead..a biner with a set of stoppers on it.. the last name appears to be Wu/Woo or something like that on the biner. So if you were on the ecstacy buttress around noon, and you lost some gear..hit me up and i'll get it to you!Peace!

fuck that! dude deserves to loose his stoppers if he's gonna be droppin' 'em on ya'!

booty, of the most deserved kind.

majid_sabet

Aug 4, 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #3 of 34 (6970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Lost gear anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
mike_devildog wrote:

fuck that! dude deserves to loose his stoppers if he's gonna be droppin' 'em on ya'!

Mr Perfect

you never dropped any gear in your life while climbing?

stymingersfink

Aug 4, 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #4 of 34 (6962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Lost gear anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
mike_devildog wrote:

Mr Perfect

you never dropped any gear in your life while climbing?
Oh, I've dropped gear, but I have no expectation of getting it back if I happen to drops it on someone else's head, Kinda like I have no expectation of ever getting a piece of bail-gear back.

'Course, on the few occasions when I HAVE dropped gear, I've been lucky enough to not have anyone anywhere near where I'm climbing, and even more lucky to have been able to find the piece myself.

mike_devildog

Aug 4, 2008, 10:50 PM
Post #5 of 34 (6958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karma brother...karma!

majid_sabet

Aug 4, 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #6 of 34 (6952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mike_devildog wrote:
karma brother...karma!

stymingersfink does not belieive in Karma

patmay81

Aug 4, 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #7 of 34 (6950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you don't believe in karma then it cant affect you right?

stymingersfink

Aug 4, 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #8 of 34 (6949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mike_devildog wrote:
karma brother...karma!
yeah, bad karma...yours and his.

you refusing to being on the receiving end, thereby not allowing the dropee to really learn his lesson, would not bode well for you (IMHO).

With no teacher to guide the lesson, the student will never learn. You do the community a dis-service with your attempt to short circuit the opportunity for someone to learn a very valuable lesson.

Without learning the necessity to handle gear with care, perhaps next time the dropee fumbles gear again he will find himself in a situation which is difficult to recover from due to the lack of necessary gear. How will you feel if he were to find himself in such a situation in the near future, and he ends up in a position which you must rescue him from?

Will the lesson be learned the second time?

Hey, ultimately it's up to you, but from this vantage point, attempting to return the gear is not the right path to go down, for you or for the dropee. On this side of a drastic accident (which may or may not occur... who knows?) it looks like an expensive lesson.

From the other side of a drastic accident, one which could have been prevented had someone learned not to drop gear, losing a half-set of nuts would be an inexpensive lesson if only it had prevented the accident.

stymingersfink

Aug 4, 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #9 of 34 (6947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
mike_devildog wrote:
karma brother...karma!

Oh, but I do!

I also have experienced many of the opportunities life presents to learn invaluable lessons, as I have outlined in my post above.

stymingersfink

Aug 4, 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #10 of 34 (6943 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] Lost gear anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patmay81 wrote:
If you don't believe in karma then it cant affect you right?
rong.

it affects you, whether you believe or not.

However, If one is a believer, it makes it much easier to recognize how and when Karma is working.

majid_sabet

Aug 4, 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #11 of 34 (6932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
mike_devildog wrote:
karma brother...karma!

Oh, but I do!

I also have experienced many of the opportunities life presents to learn invaluable lessons, as I have outlined in my post above.

You pretty much disrespect everyone round here and nothing positive ever comes out of any of your posts. I am pretty shocked to hear that you believe in karma.

Must be a different type of karma

stymingersfink

Aug 4, 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #12 of 34 (6928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
mike_devildog wrote:
karma brother...karma!

Oh, but I do!

You pretty much disrespect everyone round here and nothing positive ever comes out of any of your posts. I am pretty shocked to hear that you believe in karma.

Must be a different type of karma
your post does not eve bear responding to, so I will not.

WVUCLMBR

Aug 5, 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #13 of 34 (6900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My name is Jimmy Wu and those are my stoppers. Give them back.

mike_devildog

Aug 5, 2008, 2:35 AM
Post #14 of 34 (6883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for turning an honest helpful post into a useless debate as i see most of your post are...and if you see me receiving bad karma for trying to return something even though i dont have to..to someone who dropped their gear..your definently on the wrong path..thanks for your thoughts on the matter..I'll be sure to ignore them. Prime example why RC.com is a waste of time. YOU!

wallmonkey35

Aug 5, 2008, 2:46 AM
Post #15 of 34 (6880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mike, you are a good man...A better one than me, as I would have kept the stoppers. Good on you though for trying to get them back to the original owner.

Factor2

Aug 5, 2008, 3:17 AM
Post #16 of 34 (6870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with stymi on all accounts, but mostly just because everybody else doesn't

keep the stoppers!

stymingersfink

Aug 5, 2008, 3:17 AM
Post #17 of 34 (6868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mike_devildog wrote:
thanks for turning an honest helpful post into a useless debate as i see most of your post are...and if you see me receiving bad karma for trying to return something even though i dont have to..to someone who dropped their gear..your definently on the wrong path..thanks for your thoughts on the matter..I'll be sure to ignore them. Prime example why RC.com is a waste of time. YOU!
I didn't start the debate, though if you think it worthless its obvious you got nothing from it.

My position was not that you invite bad karma by attempting to return something someone dropped, merely that by stepping into the middle of the droppers karma some of it becomes attached to you.

So... ask yourself: Did they drop the gear because they needed to learn a lesson, and are you short-circuiting that lesson by attempting to return it to them? How might that affect you in the future?

In the end, it matters little to me, for it will not affect me. It may YOU however, and when/if it does, think back to this time and wonder how things might have turned out differently had you pursued a different course of action.

moose_droppings

Aug 5, 2008, 4:19 AM
Post #18 of 34 (6857 views)
Shortcut

Re: Lost gear anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe there's good karma by showing forgiveness for an accident, and by doing this you teach another to forgive?

Maybe pixies are riding dragons in hell and the good ones ride unicorns in utopia? I'd bet bigfoot has something to say about this if Santa doesn't mind.

Budda, Thor, Mars, one of you please chime in!

majid_sabet

Aug 5, 2008, 4:59 AM
Post #19 of 34 (6840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
mike_devildog wrote:
I didn't start the debate, though if you think it worthless its obvious you got nothing from it.

My position was not that you invite bad karma by attempting to return something someone dropped, merely that by stepping into the middle of the droppers karma some of it becomes attached to you.

So... ask yourself: Did they drop the gear because they needed to learn a lesson, and are you short-circuiting that lesson by attempting to return it to them? How might that affect you in the future?

In the end, it matters little to me, for it will not affect me. It may YOU however, and when/if it does, think back to this time and wonder how things might have turned out differently had you pursued a different course of action.

who made you the qualified teacher?

stymingersfink

Aug 5, 2008, 5:09 AM
Post #20 of 34 (6836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
mike_devildog wrote:

who made you the qualified teacher?
I am not the teacher, majid, the situation the student has created is the teacher. I am nothing more than an outside observer, sharing what I have observed. It is up to them to decide whether what I have observed is relevant to their situation.

mike_devildog

Aug 5, 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #21 of 34 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

God help us all..so much for a good thing! Peace to all, Im done!

Partner j_ung

Aug 5, 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #22 of 34 (6785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Factor2] Lost gear anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stinkypinky is 100% right. With the threat of losing gear always looming, I bloody well learned the hard way to be more f-ing careful with my gear. And as far as I'm concerned, if you give the gear back to Wu, you are helping to create a community in which newcomers don't understand that their actions -- even when unintentional -- have consequences. If we then extend "consequences" to other risks in climbing, we see that giving back booty may, in fact, be a small step in a potentially deadly direction. It teaches people that their actions don't carry a price!

Don't just keep the stoppers, my friend. Keep them proudly and with the full knowledge that, while Wu didn't get his gear back, you gave him something far more valuable: a second chance at life.

mike_devildog

Aug 5, 2008, 12:51 PM
Post #23 of 34 (6781 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Lost gear anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

good deal..finally some caring sense..thanks j_ung! peace to all..climb safe..Im done!

Partner j_ung

Aug 5, 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #24 of 34 (6778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Lost gear anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On a more serious note. Rock climbing is undeniably fraught with consequences. The only way to escape climbing's consequences is not to climb.

Losing gear that we've been careless with is one of the gentler consequences, but it should exist nonetheless. A couple years ago, I placed a stopper on the crux of Rapscallion's Blues at the New. I placed it when the shade was on the crack, but by the time my second got to it, the sun was there, the rock had expanded and my poor little stopper wasn't going anywhere for at least a day. We left it, and I consciously processed the lesson that I should at least consider such things when picking climbs and setting gear. A day later, a friend tried to hand me my stopper. I told him, "no thanks." The loss of that stopper had already become a small scar and a small reminder of my lesson. I keep it proudly on that shelf in my brain where I go to get knowledge that SAVES MY LIFE.

There's a saying that poor judgment is the result of little experience, and experience is the result of much poor judgment. You folks may not be into such introspection, but maybe Wu is. Indeed, Wu's lesson has a helluva lot more value than mine, since his mistake could easily have killed somebody. Don't rob Wu of an experience that is worth far more than a few chunks of aluminum.

chossmonkey

Aug 5, 2008, 1:11 PM
Post #25 of 34 (6767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mike_devildog wrote:
I think it was Dr.Feelgood. The "woo" isn't a name, it is for "Woo, this is sweet!!"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook